PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I had some Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Ennerdale Flake that had dried out quite a bit, in spite of rehydration with a spritz of rum. Just out of curiosity, I mixed the Ennerdale Flake with an equal amount of one of the wettest pipe tobaccos I have in my humble cellar, Sutliff's Molto Dolce. Let it sit in a small jelly jar for a few days, then gave it a try.

The result was amazing! The Molto Dolce added a wonderful caramel-y dimension to the floral notes of the Ennerdale. The drier Virginias in the Ennerdale made the blend burn/smoke much better than the sizzling Molto Dolce alone. I was really impressed with just how tasty this unusual combination was. Gotta mix up some more...

Anyone else stumbled across any incongruous blends like this?

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
That is quite interesting indeed, but you would need a separate cob or other pipe dedicated solely to this blend because it sounds like the casper-ghost-from-hell blend that would never leave whatever it was smoked out of! I have a tin of Molto and i completely agree, it is THE wettest tobacco i have ever attempted to smoke. It was GROSS. I left it out for a couple hours before trying it, as well as running my girlfriend's hair dryer over it for a minute or two with hot air, which usually works like a charm for a quick dry. Glad i smoked that Molto in my meerschaum, i shudder to think how bad it would have ruined one of my briars.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Hmm... I received a free tin of Molto a while back but never really intended to open it. Been reading reviews and hearing more about it lately so the thought has been in my mind to give it a try. A few days ago I tried Ennerdale for the first time and still not sure what I think about that. Your blend sounds like destiny to me so will most likely give the mix a go in the near future. As far as other blends I have made, well not so much. I do keep some blending latakia and perique on hand just in case something needs a boost. I also have about 8oz of the ultimate concoction "Best of the Rest" that I smell from time to time but never smoke. Saving the BOTR for trade after the apocalypse you know.

I've been waiting for my big cache of 3kg of tobacco to arrive and in the meantime I've been smoking a mix of Captain Black Royal and Borkum Riff Black Cavendish. The result isnt so fantastic but its decent enough to finish a bowl or two and avoid a leathery tongue ;) The sweet vanilla of CB melds good with the dry tobacco of BR.

Status
Not open for further replies.