PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Well, hopefully this nonsense will cause people to realize how silly these entire regulations are in their totality, rather than causing the introduction of some silly little exemption that only applies for "the troops"?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/09/lawmakers-warn-fda-regs-could-ban-cigar-donations-to-troops.html
If there truly is a health rationale for these regulations generally, and the banning of free samples specifically (there isn't, of course, but work with me), then the same concern should arise for all US citizens, whether they are in the army or work at Arby's.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
But FDA spokesman Michael Felberbaum said in an email: “The prohibition on charitable distribution does not restrict an individual's ability to give a gift, such as a care package, to an individual family member or friend who is in the military. All questions about what may or may not be included in such packages should be directed to the proper military branch.”
This clearly indicates tobacco companies will no longer be permitted to donate cigars to the troops.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Is there any scenario where the FDA would roll back? Or they will only make exemptions for troops?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If an exemption comes through we could then form the "Pipe Smokers Militia" and be eligible for free tobacco too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sure hope this is an entering wedge in this discussion. The idea that a soldier can't unwind with a cigar after a gut churning patrol, or a sailor after fending off suicide patrol boats in the Gulf, this is nuts. But it also raises the question of the rest of the population -- caretakers for disabled relatives, people with stressful demanding jobs, or just people relaxing after a day's work, as peck points out. This is a start, I hope.

tittleton

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
I believe this is just showing how silly these regulations are. Not all of fox news' demographic knows about the tobacco regulations, but if you threaten the troops then a lot more will take up pitch forks against the fda. I believe if the fda goes through with the regs then they should be blanketed, because where exactly do you draw the line on stressful jobs wanting to indulge in a smoke?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
U.S. Representative Kathy Castor, D-Florida, is fighting to get premium cigars back in the hands of American troops. According to Rep. Castor, the FDA's new tobacco rules prohibit cigar companies from donating cigars to U.S. soldiers. Castor is strongly against this ban, and yesterday filed H.R. 5955, a bill that would once again allow for the charitable contribution of premium cigars to U.S. soldiers serving the country around the globe.
"Charitable contributions of traditional, premium cigars to members of the U.S. Armed Forces—a time-honored tradition that dates back to World War 1—were recently swept up and disallowed in the Food and Drug Administration's regulation of a broad range of tobacco products," Castor said in a statement. "I strongly disagree with the FDA's ban on premium cigars as charitable gifts to our troops and as donations to nonprofit organizations that in turn use these donations to support our troops."
The bill Castor is introducing is called the Restore Charitable Contributions of Premium Cigars to the Troops Act.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/bill-calls-for-return-of-military-cigar-donations-19006
End the FDA ;)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Good to know that there are some people out there fighting for the ones that fight for the ones who fight for them. Comrades.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Intersting to read, but really so very disgusted by the whole thing. What an upside down world we live in, marijuana is legal, tobacco is evil, go figure. (I could care less about the arguments for or against pot, just so long as you leave my pipe tobacco alone.)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sadly, a lot of the pot smokers who want their shit legalized and their "rights" respected, are the same "progressive" Mother Jones jackoffs that want our shit outlawed. Two faced hypocritical bastards.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Let's see — bullets or cigars. I'm not hugely afraid of this FDA thing, as I have some serious stored tobacco, but come on.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
our troops deserve to get premium quality tobacco, hell I bet it does help when one of our soldiers gets to smoke and enjoy some really good cigars or pipe tobacco, they do the fighting for us, the fda should not take that freedom from them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With people in their twenties and thirties heeling over dead in public restrooms and family rec-rooms from substance abuse overdoses, it seems bizarre to be cracking down on cigars and pipe tobacco. People in need of organ donations are having an easier time getting organs because of the overdose problem, which is a bit ghoulish, but a positive in a dark situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.