PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My local hardware store has in impressive selection of hard-to-find sodas including Cheerwine, Frostie Root Beer, and Dad's Root Beer, among many others. They also carry a ginger ale with which I have fallen in love. It's called Blenheim, and it has been bottled in South Carolina since 1903. Here's a link (www.blenheimgingerale.com) to their Website.
To-date I have tried their No. 5 (which has a heady gingery tang) and their Old No. 3 (which is spicy hot - a startling thing in a soft-drink), and find that the former best suits my taste-buds. To paraphrase Pipestud, give Blenheim a go you ginger ale fans; you can thank me later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife uses that extra hot Blenheims to settle her stomach. I buy it at the State Farmer's Market, and it is not inexpensive. I like the milder version to wake up my taste buds. I think it might pair well with some blends. We don't drink much cola, but when we do, we like Mexican Coco Cola with cane sugar.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
We don't drink much cola, but when we do, we like Mexican Coco Cola with cane sugar.
The taste of Mexican-bottled Coca-Cola reminds me of that of the U.S.-bottled product which I enjoyed when I was very young. Despite what the folks at the headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia may say, the taste of the current U.S.-bottled product simply pales by comparison.

My favorite ginger... and ginger ale. I'd love to try the Blenheim sometime. I made ginger ale (or technically a ginger beer) one year, when I had a bumper crop of ginger in the garden, but so far I haven't had another crop quite that large. It was good. Mrs. Cosmic tends to drink all of my ginger products faster than I can though.

gingers.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for the post huntertrw!

I'll be trying this one soon, looks like a local market carries their products.

I used to make a 5 gallon batch every summer, bottled it in the 22 ounce size bottles......... good stuff!

That was back when I was single, no kids, no mortgage and tons of free time........ ahhhh the good old days!!........ :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Sounds good. I like ginger ale, and would like to try this one sometime.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
Orley:
My family "discovered" Vernor's Ginger Ale when we used to vacation at Michigan's beautiful state parks when I was a youngster. It's good and has an oak-tinged flavor (due to its barrel-aging) which Blenheim lacks, but the latter is much more gingery. Blenheim does offer a diet version, so you might look for it in your area.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I also grew up drinking Vernor's so the other major brands never tasted quite right to me. I do like many "Specialty" ginger ales though. I'll have to try Blenheim.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I grew up with different ginger ale products. Having lived in SC for 11 years now, I've tasted nothing else like Blenheim's. It may have ruined me for others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My grandma used to have Vernor's and it was a special treat when visiting her. Along with the Sen-Sen licorice tabs and Grandma's special Western Massachusetts home cooking, which I didn't realize was distinctly regional until she was gone and I was in the Berkshires.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Based upon literally minutes of scientific research, I have been able to conclude that in the universe of ginger ale, there are only two classifications: Blenheim's and everyone who wishes their product was as good. :lol:
For those who live beyond the retail distribution area of Blenheim's, you can order from their website. They will even ship you a mixed case. It isn't cheap, but, you'll be glad you did.
Cheers,
Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.