PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
00F1Rwc.jpg
How's that for a thread title?

:P
Murray's top seller for ages was Erinmore and other companies tried to copy the flavor trying to woo away loyal Erinmories,

but most attempts failed, and I think this document is trace of such a failure.
Perhaps closest to cracking the code, was Wills, who had iniated a cloak & dagger sounding enterprise known as "Project Shamrock" inwhich they tried to develop an Erinmore match-blend,

but I think that for the most part, their attempt was futile.
This doc is from the Imperial library, straight from the Scientific Control Laboratories, and illustrated the intense scrutiny, and the tremendous resources, of a big old company like Wills had, and how absolutely thorough they were when developing their tobacco blends.
I take "headspace" to mean "nose upon opening" ?
One of the most intense experiences I've yet had with pipesmoking, as far as an overwhelming flood of flavor, has been smoking an early 70's tin of Erinmore Flake as made by Murray's --- my palate was caught unawares, unprepared for such a highly concentrated blast of potency, and I admit that I was bewildered by it, enjoying it for its dark fullbodied depths, yet overpowered by its singular aroma.
You think that the Kendal scenteds are forceful, then you ain't smoked no Murray's Erinmore because that Belfast bouquet is absolutely all-consuming!
And the sample that I smoked was at least 40 years old!
p1050455-1280x854-600x400.jpg

p1050467-1280x854-600x400.jpg

p1050512-1280x854-600x400.jpg

Hk88UwX.jpg

IfrlbeL.jpg

AbEttq8.jpg

1gKev5p.jpg

gspNLJt.jpg

2udPlbM.jpg

5hp6esC.jpg

1BWsQPC.jpg

fOtyuZR.jpg

9PdfJDi.jpg

r1RkUm2.jpg

b8oYykk.jpg

MxjV0di.jpg

DqLqomS.jpg

ads-murray-erinmore.jpg

63kaV6e.jpg

RsVpZnr.jpg

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Once again, mlc, you have amazed and awed me. Thanks. That's some really interesting stuff.

May 31, 2012
Here's a few more related docs,

as you can see, their efforts were ongoing at least since the early 60's, if not sooner...
COu234Y.jpg

:

nwBzESe.jpg

B2YRIQl.jpg

bDF4ME4.jpg

:
lGt6AHM.jpg

:
5OyRGUq.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Once again, mlc, you have amazed and awed me. Thanks. That's some really interesting stuff.
+1 ... Whatever Kevin's paying you, it ain't enough. :worship:

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Trivial comment: the title tweaked my interest. Headspace is a term concerning the chamber in a rifle. I couldn't fathom was tobacco headspace might be.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
One of the advertisements above seemed to indicate that the mixture was simply the flake rubbed out. But hasn't it been stated elsewhere that the two or not the same?

May 31, 2012
Oh I wish, I wish I could sample some of the old Erinmore. I really like the new, but I bet the old blows it away.
The Erinmore Plug is pretty damn close to the old stuff still.
Your chances are good that you may find an older unopened tin someday, there's alot of it floating around out there.

It was a worldwide success and incredibly popular, that's one reason why other companies were trying to match the flavour and try to get a piece of the pie and expended large sums of research cash in the process, but still failed. LOL
I recently scored an old 1oz. paper packet and even in that flimsy packaging the scent lives on,

the stuff was VERY POTENT.
I would offer you some but it's got old mold on it and it is totally crunchy dried out,

I bought it only for historical interest...
1sgYepe.jpg

2I2Kg0I.jpg

NywYKBx.jpg

o6hnM2y.jpg

DcM5dgV.jpg

ZwroKKD.jpg

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i smoked erinmore back in early 60's - AWESOME - more intense flavour but also much more intense fruit flavour then the flake of today -

the mixture blend of today is a total write off - not worth the effort. i do like the flake which is worth a try for new smokers.

not tried the plug which seems to be worth a try.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Trivial comment: the title tweaked my interest. Headspace is a term concerning the chamber in a rifle. I couldn't fathom was tobacco headspace might be.
Headspace could be referring to the vapors/odors trapped in a tin, but since it mentioned 1oz packages (cardboard and waxed paper from the pictures) its probably vapors collected from the top of a sealed sample container that is slowly heated with the tobacco in it. Since most chemicals have slightly different boiling points you can get a pretty accurate guess about the compounds if you heat it slowly and look for signal peaks in those graphs.
Looks like some old school chemical testing techniques, but I'm not really familiar with it.
I know headspace samplers can be used to get gaseous samples into gas chromatographs which would give a similar output. Add a mass spectrometer of some sort to the GC and you could probably get a damn accurate list of the individual odors coming off a sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.