An Arm-chair in the Smoking-Room: or, Fiction, anecdote, humour, and fancy ...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This book offers an older perspective of the Smoking Room, in days when a

Smoking Room was in existence. It's a bit of fun for those of us who like

to read about these old traditions and customs....
http://books.google.com/books?id=TBIlAAAAMAAJ&dq="The Meerschaum: how to choose, smoke, and colour it"&pg=PA338#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Meerschaum%3A%20how%20to%20choose%2C%20smoke%2C%20and%20colour%20it%22&f=false
This chapter of the book is most interesting to me.... The Meerschaum: How to

Choose, Smoke and Colour It, starting on page 338.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
That sounds fantastic fred,I will look into that.What an excellent discussion that would make.They say history repeats itself.I don't believe I have ever been in a real smoking room looking at it from a historical and traditional point of view.I wonder if there would be rules and codes of conduct.Would there be a yearly membership fee or possibly a secret hand shake?Only research will tell.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fred, the chapter on the Meerschaum was interesting and a pleasant read,

but I completely failed to understand how to use the plug to which he refers.

Do you have any ideas, or is this bit of arcanum lost to history?

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, Cortezattic. The use of a plug in a Meerschaum is to collect the oils of the smoke to color the Pipe systematically. The plug is left in the Pipe for 1-3 weeks. The smoker smokes the Pipe's load down to the plug. The plug must be removed to clean the Pipe and a new one put back. They didn't have Pipe cleaners back then, but used methods involving alcohol, while others used feathers. For me, the coloration of the Meerschaum is a benefit, but my focus is the clarity of the smoke that a clean Meerschaum provides. I'll still clean my Pipes after every smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.