An Amazing Artifact - A True Roped Navy Plug!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Got lucky today and won this auction on the cheap, a corded plug made by R&J Hill way back when, I'd reckon 30's or 40's but really I have no idea - not much info found online about them besides the fact they were bought out by Carreras in 1953...
...I'm excited about this even if it is only a dustbunny never to be unwound, just cool stuff to enhance my atmosphere and juice up my romantic dreamings LOL
GDIM07V.jpg

f6T4HEc.jpg

I24vWSi.jpg

2qYKT98.jpg

Hill's had a popular cigarette brand called Spinet, but it seems overall that they were a fairly small company.
Here's a great old 1906 photo of their Flake Dept...

(note the corded rolls!)

5UTcioQ.jpg

A couple of ads...

nP7nVSR.png

ZhfZSRm.jpg

PYgEBY2.jpg

StjVGPA.jpg

And a couple of tins...

dQCoTVj.jpg

HagWmoP.jpg

:P

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
That is awesome but I don't think I could resists the urge to open it and smoke some.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have seen something like that before a very long time ago. It was a very thick piece of black twist that was tightly wound with some form of brown string with a cloth cap on one end. As you sliced the twist off you pulled the loose end of the twine which had the effect of shortening the twine wrapping.. For the life of me I just don't recall where I saw the thing but it had to be about 1984 or there about.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Once rehydrated should prove to be an interesting and strong smoke. Let us know the outcome!
Eric

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
YAY! :clap: misterlowercase is back!
Damn I miss these posts!!
That is the coolest tobacco item I have seen yet!
Thanks for sharing another fascinating artifact from the halls of the Minister of Tobacciana :worship:

May 31, 2012
:P

LOL

No green worries for me!

I don't intend to open it, I'd never be able to rewrap the twine cord in the same manner, besides, the mystery will deepen the dreamings LOL
Something like this is rarely seen intact and it's a true survivor, so wrapped it shall remain.
Could I be missing out on the smoke of a lifetime?

Possibly, but the chances are remote that it'd be up to snuff.
I've been surprised before though,

very surprised,

when I did have a peak smoking experience with some stuff I was most certain would have been flat, dead, and given up the ghost --- but this stuff was simply beyond incredible!
Plover Pigtail

R1edshp.jpg

5gkCpYo.jpg

5CHzksN.jpg

May 31, 2012
I'm not even supposed to have a damn collection!
I'm supposed to be logical and only buy old stuff if I'm gonna smoke it!

I gave myself that rule a while back but sadly I don't have the restraint or willpower to resist the magnetic pull!
I don't wanna dusty museum, but somehow these things find their way into my life...

:!:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm just awestruck, I'd love the opportunity to actually see (in person) so much of the rare tobacciana you've come to collect and thankfully for the rest of us, share here. I can't imagine how labor intensive that cord wrapped plug must have been back in the day, done by women I'd guess?

May 31, 2012
I'm not really a "serious collector", I'm more of an enthusiast hobbyist I'd say.
A serious collector doesn't blink an eye to drop $250 on an old catalog, or $300+ on a vintage sealed tin.
I'm just a goofy guy with a obsessive penchant for the old UK stuff.
Someone like this is more of a serious collector:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/an-incredible-library-of-pipe-amp-tobacco-books

Dock Perry.

He had an absolutely amazing collection of printed ephemera, display items, advertising material, and high end pipes --- the rather odd thing was that he said he wasn't emotionally involved with any of it at all and one day he decided to give it all up and sold the collection off!
He had a great knack for finding some really really scarce stuff!

:puffy:

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Cool beyond description! 8O

Why the tobacconists and blenders in the old days can create so many great artifacts while in modern time with all the machinery we are not seeing things similarly cool?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
When you look at that bundle, you see the man hours lavished on products of that day. Wow, a work of art inside a work of art.

Cool find, mrlowercase.

Status
Not open for further replies.