PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
As a new pipe smoker, I have experienced many of the ups and downs of the hobby. I have burnt my tongue, been to hell on eBay. Spent money i didn't have on PAD and TAD obsessions. I have also learned to keep those things in check. To slow down and enjoy the smoke. To slow down and enjoy life and that there are is a vast world of colors and flavors of tobacco.
In the beginning(I'm still in the beginning. lol) I could not smoke Virginias or vapers without burning the hell out of my tongue, So I never really tasted them. I smoked almost exclusively English/Balkan blends because they are more forgiving to the tongue and an occasional aromatic. .
I gave away all but an ounce of a tin of Macbarens Dark Twist because I burnt myself with it. Well, The other day, I tried Frog Morton and really enjoyed it. I then decided to give the Dark Twist another shot, and brother I love this smoke. It is the only tobacco that I have that I smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It just keeps on giving. It is the only tobacco that I like the bottom of the bowl better than the top. I always liked Anniversary kake, but I hurt myself with it so I only smoked it here and there. I love it now. I attribute this to a combination of built up tolerance to pipe tobacco on my mouth, and fine tuned smoking skills. I then tried some Jack Knife Plug and other then almost throwing up from the nicotine, I loved it... So i am now enjoying Virginias and Vapers more than my beloved English/Balkan blends... Maybe just a phase...
Well, since my tobacco selection is almost exclusively English and Balkan blends, I took all the money I just earned from a small eBay sell and invested in some H&H Lousianna Red, some C&D Night Train, and some H&H Marble Kake to feed my new found love for Virginias and Vapers!!! Anyone else go through a similar progression?

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Yup same kind of thing for me. It's an ongoing learning curve of magical goodness :D

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I still haven't enjoyed VA or PA/Per or Burley. They all just taste like cigarettes to me. :oops: I hope to one day be able to taste the nuances of those types of blends, but not yet. I'm still in the "I

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the new world. Glad you sent me that Dark Twist before you decided it was OK - it's a good 'un! :D

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
This has happened to me time and time again, I gave up Latakia completely a couple years ago but now smoke it on occasion. Blends will grow on you too, just give them time before you decide to ditch them.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I'm going thru an opposite phase, all Va/VaPers for me, my english blends are just sitting around. Has been that way for a few months. I know I'll be back.... Maybe it's seasonal for me. I think tobacco's are just like anything else that rely on a persons sense of taste. Sometimes you just don't want a certain something, you might not care for it for years, then one day "hmmmmm, ya know, that ain't half bad".
Scott

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Its good stuff if you take it slow and for me a narrow bowl pipe brings out the taste. So do you like it Jud??? Mick, I never thought Virginias tasted like cigarettes. Maybe you just tried the wrong tobacco. Get some McBarens dark Twist and take it real slow, barely keeping it lit and you will find a wonderful tasting smoke all the way through. Like I said, i usually don't smoke the last 1/4 of my bowl because it tastes bad. With Virginias, I like it all the way through.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I no longer smoke any English blends, it is all va flakes and vaper flakes for me. I don't even like smoking any other cut of tobacco except for flakes. There is something about the intense flavors I get from flakes that I don't get from a ribbon or chopped cut. When I first started I was all about English blends because they didn't bite, now that I learned the proper technique and have the right pipes( for me), flakes are what I love to smoke. I think everyone goes through changes in their preferences if they smoke a pipe long enough.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yea, I have never smoked a flake tobacco except maybe that Jack Knife, but I think its a plug Cigrmaster. I have some C&D Night train coming and some H&H Marble Kake that are flake tobacco. I hate waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I'm impatient. lol

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I haven't tried that many tobaccos but so far I usually like it unless it is high nicotine. I would like to try more vapers.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
One thing smoking a pipe for 40+ has taught me is that it's all about the journey, not the destination. Hell, IMO, there really is no destination per se. Sure, I have some favorites, but I also enjoy the adventure of researching blends and trying something new to me. I usually add a tin of somethng-new-to-me with every order (Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired was my pick last order). Takes work and patience, sure. But it's part of the fun for me.
This. I can't imagine not trying something different especially with all the blends out there. Is this NOT the golden age of pipe tobacco choices?
Scott

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Rothnh, That was a great post. I will be looking for more insite from you as My journey contineus. I'll add you to my list of Mentors along with Cigrmaster, Carpenter Chris, herbinedave and Baron.. Many others too. :worship: I was taught not to long ago to watch someone who has what you want, and do what they do. So I watch the boards and take suggestion. If I would not have found this site I would probably have quit by now. My mouth was shot after 5 days without the suggestions from this group of guys. Heck, I am just now able to taste food again after 6 weeks. lol But I really enjoy the hobby and ritual of pipe smoking :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, I like the Dark Twist, Shawn. I will definitely pick up some down the road. I won't smoke it all the time,but it is a nice addition to the rotation.

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
I'm glad I'm not alone in this fickle taste business! LOL! Definitely right on with the comment about it being a journey and not a destination! Although I did have a destination at first of just finding some tobac's that I really liked. That accomplished, now I have some fall backs that I can always go to, and keep on exploring and tasting and discovering the wide world of awesome pipe tobacs! It is indeed the golden age! Thanks for making me feel not so weird about changing tastes as the palate develops! :puffy:

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Mick, I never thought Virginias tasted like cigarettes. Maybe you just tried the wrong tobacco. Get some McBarens dark Twist and take it real slow, barely keeping it lit and you will find a wonderful tasting smoke all the way through.
That's definitely a problem I have: I smoke way too fast. I like smoke, as in lots of smoke, as in 3 Oaks Syrian plumes of smoke, bathing in a smoke shower type of smoke. When I smoke VAs slowly (or try to) I get tiny puffs of smoke. Meh... I know my technique is bad, but it's really hard to change. Also, I still suffer from a lot of novice problems like packing and lighting techniques not to mention proper drying times. :lol:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My tastes are expanding more than changing.
Like many I started with Aromatics. All good - 1-Q is my favorite. Then I ventured onto the world of English/Latakia blends. I like them all now too, but still enjoy some aromatics.
All this year I have been experimenting with Virginias and Va/Pers. I like them all so far. Villiger 1888 After Dinner is excellent.
As soon as summer is over and I am back at the marina, I hope to start exploring the Burley world. I expect to like them, too.
My big problem is that it takes so long to try new blends. I usually only have one tin of any category open at one time (and a couple of favorites which I buy in bulk.) I only smoke once or sometimes twice a day, so when I open a tin, that is pretty much my blend for that category for a month or more.
Life is good, but not without its problems. 8) Maybe I should just smoke more... if only I had the time.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My taste is constantly changing. I have noticed that I'm going for comfort rather than variety now. The only small samples I get now are from you guys! I really need to get some Jack Knife Plug, though. That one's great for evening walks or with coffee at breakfast. If I get the nic spins, I just grab a bite of chocolate and it's all good. Plus you get an excuse to eat chocolate.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rothnh, great post. I am also always on the hunt for something new and interesting. I usually have 15 plus blends open and in my rotation, I love variety. I recently tried that Mac Baren Dark Fired and liked it, it is going on the next TAD order. There are so many great blends out there that I know I will never get bored. My neighbor only smokes Captain Black Gold, yeah he is a old guy, but I don't know how anyone can smoke the same blend day after day. I spend a lot of time on the tobacco review sites looking for different things to try. A month ago I found a blend that I had never heard of but liked the sound of it, so I bought a tin. I know have 10 tins in my cellar of that blend and will continue adding to it. If I hadn't gone looking, I never would have found it. If anyone is interested it is John Aylesbury Luxury Flake and it is delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.