Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As some of you know, I'm trying to get rid of the nails. Which means I need this pretty heavy Nicotine thing in the morning to go with my coffee and get the engine running. So usually it's Kendal's Kentucky in a smaller size bowl to get me to wake up. But sometimes it's a little harsh that early in the morning. The Kentucky is quite heavy. Not necessarily in the nicotine department, but just the harshness of the smoke. It hits the throat almost too much.
And then I realized I liked the MV-1000 during the day. It's a nice mellow easy smoke with a little bit Vanilla/Caramel flavor. Which I have always found to be reminiscent of the nails I smoke.
So last night I took a baggie, mixed 50/50 Kendal's Kentucky and MV-1000. Squeezed it real tight and let it rest overnight. This morning, I loaded a pipe with it. Bingo ! This may be a winner. Heavy enough in the vitamin N department, mellow and sweet of the Virginia. Perfect with the coffee and enough of a kick to get me going.
Now, I know that Jack Knife plug from Master Pease is a VA/Kentucky mix, but I like the combo of the shag and ribbon cut of the two tobacco's I used here, since it burns so well without too much fuss in the morning. Plus I find this "Mick's Mix" to be a little sweeter than the Jack Knife. I'm gonna mix me up a larger batch and see where I end up with this. If it turns out good, I may offer up some "Mick's Mix" to you guys ;-)
Long story just to show that you shouldn't be afraid to mix and match and experiment around. Who knows, you may have found your next favorite smoke.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I normally just smoke my "leftover" jar for the morning.
Gotta wake up my taste buds with a little bit of "WTF was that?" :puffy:

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Like Spartan i keep a leftovers jar too. I keep mine for a bit longer, about a month or so and it collets quite a bit. Its interesting to go back through and review the last month in blends. Its definately not the same as a fresh bowl, a bit stale and all..but i hate to waste good tobacco. I call the jar my 'American Blend'. :lol:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also have a left over jar. Right now it has Drum, American Patriot, 7 Seas Black, Sir Walter R, Sweet Briar, Green Sail. I am a wee bit timid to try it, but very soon I will have to as it is getting full.

beaterman

Lurker
Mar 5, 2012
I also have a left over jar. Right now it has Drum, American Patriot, 7 Seas Black, Sir Walter R, Sweet Briar, Green Sail. I am a wee bit timid to try it,
I should say so! Wow, thats impressive. I have not tried any mixing myself. Does it help to let it sit for a few weeks/months to really combine the flavors/aromas?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I have two left over jars, 1 for aros, and 1 for everything else.
The "everything else" jar is always delicious. Always fun to start the day off with a surprize.

Status
Not open for further replies.