PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
So, as some of you know, I have been caring for my aging grandfather for the last year (or there abouts), as I just can't stand the thought of putting him in a rest-home.

Recently, I've talked him into turning his license in (despite his passing the medical exam, I know he's nearly blind, and certainly deaf), which was no issue with him, except that he likes to visit my grandmother (who is institutionalized for medical reasons) daily...which, of course, I support to the extent of taking time from my work day to chauffeur him around.
Yesterday, when I went to pick him up, I was unable to secure a parking-spot, so, I flipped on the hazards and pulled up at the front enterance. Being a warm, sunny day, I decided to jump out of the truck (leaving the radio on and the windows down), and take a few pulls on my pipe whilst I waited. As I am sitting, smoking away happily, I see another resident of the facility making his way towards me as fast as his walker will allow, with fire and brimstone in his eyes. Expecting the usual anti-smoking, or "pots illegal" speech, I was quite chagrined when he said, "Are you really smoking tobacco and listening to Neil Young? Son, I think your smokin' the wrong thing!"; and without a word, continued on his way.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Really amusing story. Glad you took the time to share it with us.

It's sort of reminder that being "hip" has to do with attitude, not age.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Big pat on the back for all the commitment it takes to do what you're doing for grandpa. Most grandparents wind up neglected and forgotten in homes, and some of those old farts have got some stories to tell about the good old days!

Sounds like the old man was hoping you'd have a little something "for his glaucoma" :)

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Brilliant yarn mate. Thanks for sharing, I needed a chuckle.

Status
Not open for further replies.