PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Upon opening the pouch, I’m greeted with a pleasant, mild coca aroma. The tobacco is moist, but does not need time to dry. This ribbon cut is a mixture of light brown, dark brown and light/dark brown tobaccos.
I taste chocolate, but it is not overpowering. At times, I sense leather. It’s savory rather than sweet, and can be lightly spicy. It’s pleasant, mellow and almost medium in body. It smokes cool and never harsh. It goes well with black coffee, and works best for me as a pre-breakfast pipe.
This is a good blend for the aromatic smoker that wants to explore non-aromatics, and still retain the flavour.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Among Amphora offerings The Original is the very best one, a bite more burley foward,toppings are minor,whereas the Full aroma red'is more sort of aromatic choice but not overly so,enjoyable too,personally I do prefer to leave them dry prior to smoking.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Amphora ... not a bad bacy, and I find it especially true that they are best moist out of the pouch.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I never got the taste of chocolate but I do smoke it very dry, for me it almost has a slightly flowery, nutty taste. I was not too impressed in the beginning, but now I am craving more. It is a very smooth and cool smoke, great every day blend!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Bazungu,similarly here,in the beginning, I wasn't liking this too much but things changed once I had learned some important tricks with this brand,the forum member Jiminks gave me some valuable tips concerning on this very tobacco, and now it has solid place in my daily rotation.Ps,15% off on Amphoras at Smokingpipes.com till the June 18th.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
OlkoFri;First off,despite of possibility to getting a bit harsher yet balder taste, I was proposed to dry this baccy out prior to smoke and in order to lessen the possibly biting issues and to pay attention to packing method,nontheless I must confess, especially with the full Amphora red,it sure tastes more nuance-rich right out of the pouch,but again I seemingly can't smoke none of these without drying them out.Greets,Paul

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks, Paulie. Yeah, that seems to be the problem with aros: dry them and they lose flavour, right out of the tin and you can't keep them lit. Tried some Vauen Midnight Mixture when I was in Europe and I didn't have time to dry it, just filled the pipe out of the tin and I had to be relighting constantly. Funny thing, I never got tongue bite over there, whereas here, even the food bites me... must be something in the environment.
Thanks again.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Olkofri,I must confess I'm prone to have tongue bite quite easy especially with plain Virginia forwards,thats why I hardly am smoking them on the daily basis,and this is the main reason Why I do prefer Burley forward blends,they seem to be more forgiving in that matter,nontheless I presume all this is related to my poor smoking technics,and this why any advice of mine is pretty subjective,Lol

Yet My observation is that any given tobacco produced by Mc Baren and sold in pouches benefits from some drying time, but again this may also lead to a somewhat more rough smoking experience in the end'

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This sounds like it would be good for the mostly non-aromatic smoker who likes a tobacco forward aromatic from time to time. I'd wondered about Amphora, and now I know that the Original would be the one to get, maybe the next time I order a few pouches for variety. I wouldn't have thought to ask, but I'm grateful for the info.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Amphora Original is a little different (less chocolate and more nuance then) from when I first started smoking it in the mid-1970s, but I like the new version with a little dry time, too. Until around 1983, when it disappeared locally from the shelves, it was my favorite OTC. I replaced it with SWRA. In the late '90s, I started getting it from Switzerland, and have smoked it on and off since then. It's still very enjoyable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, Jim. The aromatics you've recommended like Edward G. and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue are ones I've come to enjoy. So likely I'd be pleased with AO.

Status
Not open for further replies.