Tags:   

Amphora Full (Aroma) by Mac Baren

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hello fellow pipe smokers!

Today, as I was running out of tobacco ( I had only 4-5 tins left, I was craving on the last crumbles!!! ). As I'll be going to Lohmar Pipe Show on Saturday, I thought an easy OTC would do the thing, too!
    I made some good experiences with OTC blends (Captain Black, Exclusive No. 1, MB Scottish Mix f.e) and some real bad, and I mean the "Stanwell Hausmarke Sungold" type of bad. Still I took the risk and it came to a showdown between Amphora Full and Danish Dice Mix (the white pouch). Quickly grabbed the smartphone of my girl (I decided that I don't want to have any cellphone myself) and browsed quickly through the TR.com reviews.

Long story short - Amphora Full (formerly Full Aroma) won the competition, as I just can't get enough of anything with Burleys, and especially Kentucky in it.
    And....I diddn't regret spending 8,75€ on a - as I know now - high quality tobacco!

Review

(Picture by tobaccopipes.com)

Amphora Full (Aroma) - an exceptional OTC blend.

Upon opening the pouch a gentle sweetness fills your nose, along with notes of chocolate, fruits like oranges, peaches and lemon. Accompanied by a sour-sweetish, almost woody (Orientals), as well as a citrusy note (Virginias). The Burley & Kentucky promote the chocolaty flavouring very well, so that the chocolaty note is the most noticeable to my nose.

The mixture of fine ribbons & broken flake pieces doesn't only look stimulating, but is also easy to pack and light.

On first light I get a multi-layered flavour profile. At first I perceive, deep and sweet nutty notes, before the mild citrusy Virginias and the sweet-sour Orientals come into play. The nutty flavour is consistent and supported by a chocolate/cocoa note. The flavour profile expands as I get along with the bowl. A gentle fruitiness kicks in and delivers flavours reminding of oranges, tangerines and maybe peaches. Along with a unobtrusive flowery note lurking in the back, that rounds off the taste even more.

Even tho the tobacco delivers a range of different flavours it's never too much, or obtrusive and certainly not artificial. All flavours come along pretty natural and melt into a melange that flatters the palate in a uncomparable way. A gentle spice is always present, which I find neccesary to keep this tobacco from being too sweet. There's perfect harmony and balance between sweetish, chocolaty and floral notes and the natural tobacco which delivers nutty, woody a tad smoky and just the right amount of spice.

To me - this is a masterpiece of tobacco craftsmanship! They have found the right balance. Exciting flavourings that not only match well to the tobacco, but also expand the flavour profile of the natural tobacco taste in a exceptional way.

If I had to rate it like on TR.com, I'd give full score - 4/4 stars for perfectly blended pipe tobacco, that's not only easy and steadily available, but also full of taste & quality!
    For sure what's considered a "All-Day-Smoke" and I'd consider this a "semic aromatic", as the flavourings are unobtrusive and marry well with the tobacco.

Here's the review on TR.com

I highly recommend this tobacco to....mhm..for who is this tobacco actually? It's not a real aromatic, but also not pure tobacco taste - I'd say it's for (almost) anyone!

Even me, as I only smoke aromatic blends only occasionaly (once, max. twice a week), I'm sure this one will make my DAILY rotation, as Amphora Full has just enough spice to keep me interested and satisfied.

Regards,

Deniz

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Nice review deniz, just started on a pouch myself (£10.34 here), nice smoke indeed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I preferred the Red when it was made by DE but I favor the Brown version by Mac Baron. Both are pretty good still. They just don't seem to be able tomatch the cut or that unique dryness the blends had.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I prefer the brown as well.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I do believe William Conrad, the actor, smoked Amphora Red. I never particularly enjoyed it although I do have a couple of pouches in my baccy box which must be 10 years old or so.

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I do believe William Conrad, the actor, smoked Amphora Red."

In 1984 in his "The Ultimate Pipe Book" author Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about that: "Bill Conrad has spent years looking for the "perfect" tobacco. "Dunhill must have three thousand and one custom blends," he says, "of which 3,000 must have been mine, looking for the right mixture!" Today he smokes Amphora Red."

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

huntertrw - thanks for that. It's good to know that despite increasing age, my memory is still sharp!

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally My favorite is The Original Brown which actually is somewhat more difficult to acquire here in europe, this full Aroma is a lot more widespread here,and while it definitely is worth buying and a good quality stuff, this fruityness is perhaps the only reason why I seldom have it any more.Nevertheless similarities with the Original Brown are obvious,but the Original one is less sweet,less floral&fruity being more spicey medium natural character burleyforward blend. Without a doubt after reading this review I'll put this Full Aroma Amphora back on my list, so Thank You Deniz for your interesting review, much appreciated, Greets, Paul

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Great review. That stuff is like $6.00(£4.66 or €5.50) a pouch here in the U.S. I feel your pain though. I have to pay double to get HP Sauce and Branston Pickle...

“Life... is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.” -Bill Shakespeare
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

thank you guys for the kind words, I'm glad my reviews are welcome here.
    Amphora Brown - it's on the list, I hope I'll stumble opon a pouch one day! Sounds great.
    Yesterday I packed 3 bowls of Amphora Full - the first time I've smoked a blend more than twice a day. I rarely even smoke a blend twice a day / in a row.

@phantom: yea, I noticed tobaccos are cheaper in the US & UK. I guess you have lower taxes on it? We in Germany get the taxes raised about every 3-4 month (no joke, sadly). It's always just 10-25 cents, but it sums up after a while! Greedy basterds. I imagine those people deciding on taxes sittin with their fat bellies in a skyscraper and laughing evil, as they count how much more useless sh... they'll be able to buy, after a (another) raise of the taxes.
    Truth might be somewhat close to that, actually!

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Denniz: A quick note since you are German resident, You may wanna check out the belgium based tobacconists webpage:Latetedor.com,I was dealing with them in past with no issues,one may find some interesting offerings among their pipetobacco and cigar assortiment,to mention a few,Amphora original, Semois of Manile Belge and Toscano Italian cigars, Greets, Paul

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OTC pouch tobaccos can be surprisingly good. Don't judge the blend by the packaging. Iwan Ries and others have good arrays of pouch tobaccos in almost any genre, and you can get a pleasing array of samples for not a heap of money. Same with bulk tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. grue

grue

Login to Send PM

I try to have an aromatic available for a change between the VaPers and also if I have people over. Most of the times this aromatic is AFA. Love the taste and the nic hit. Good stuff, I will actually smoke a bowl now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

piperray

Login to Send PM

Good review,just got myself a pouch of Amphora Red, good Dutch type Cavendish, been smoking this blend on and off for 30 years. Peterson's Ashford, Amphora and cup of Prince of Wales tea means to me a perfect start for the day.
    -Ray

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Good review, Deniz.

Amphora tobaccos are my daily smokes. I enjoy both Full Aroma Red (chocolate/vanilla) and Rich Aroma Green (hazelnut). I like to think of them as 'dry aromatics'. They aren't sopping wet with zero flavor or nicotine like most American-style aromatics. They burn well with no tongue bite, are very flavorful (nutty and slightly sweet), and have enough nicotine to satisfy. The flavors are surprisingly complex for being pouch tobaccos. And yes, the room notes are great.

Amphora tobaccos are highly underrated in my opinion. It's too bad they don't get more attention.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amphora Full Aroma and Special Reserve Black Cavendish - two great exceptions, to my general dislike of Aromatics. Three reasons - tobacco forward, dry smoke and does not mess up my pipe.

Family, small sporty cars, food and drink (Including tobacco) and a nice book!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tastes change - but my current favorites : Ashton Artisan's Blend, Dunhill Nightcap, Dunhill London Mixture
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Three reasons - tobacco forward, dry smoke and does not mess up my pipe.

+1 on that. Also the only type of aromatics I can even smoke without getting nausea.

agree also on Quint! Amphora isn't much noticed over here in germany too, yet it is solid as rock, tobacco forward, easy to find "aromatic".

Good stuff, I'll load a bowl I think

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

Interesting.I live in Greece and we can only find skandanavik blends and borkam riff easily,but Amphora FA is also available.
    Having tried and not liked the skandanavik offerings I have never tried Amphora maybe I now will.
    I prefer English blends which sadly are non existent here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most tobacco taste straightforward burleyish Amphora is the Original brown, then we have this tamed down version of this same called Prestige Mixture* produced by Mc Baren company and only available in Germany and Netherlands.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

yup, Prestige is like tad less cased version of Amphora FA. Both good stuff, I have a jar of both in my "choco-bar"...along with Ralfs Burley CUp (choco-coffee), Solani aged Burley (most natural of the pack), Borkum Riff Scandinavian Mix (which I find quite pleasant somehow). I smoke them rarely, but wouldn't want to miss one of them.

You tried Prestige paulie?

@paul well Amphora Full isnt really english, but I think you might like it, it has a tad of smokiness, choco-fruity aroma, tobacco forward as mentioned. It's quite cheap here too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recently did a mini-TAD order of three pouches from PC -- Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, John Bull, and Erin Go Braugh -- and I'm happy with all three. It is surprising what good blends turn up in pouches. I may do the same from Iwan Ries at some point; they have a good selection of longstanding house blends available in pouches, and I already like their Three Star Blue a lot, such that I bought a tin of that. I was so mesmerized by blends in tins for a while, that I neglected everything else. There are some good bag tobaccos (12, 14, or 16 ounces) that are high quality, even despite the sometimes discount prices. So don't jump to conclusions. Many good choices at all price levels and in various packaging, as jiminks often reminds us, and as does Russ O. at PC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Amen mso!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am rather a fan of Amphora and select other OTCs. They are classics for a reason: reliable, convenient, inexpensive-ish, and flavorful.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deniz, just about ordering this Prestige mixture along with some other your recently reviewed tobaccoes via Dan pipe, You must have to get hands on the original brown,(only in Belgium&Netherlands)I may post you a pouch a bit later(I got a fairly cheap supply for these brands in our neigborhood coutry,Russia,Lol)moreover just checked what this Full Red is costing righ now here,20euro per 50gr(22$ 1,75oz)this is getting really insane even more when pouches are spiced up with those new 'Eu pictures

Deathmetal, Yes, do agree with you,nonetheless, They tend to be a bit boring sometime, but so far I always find them reliable
    and pretty flavorful+ medium strenght)then lately I got soft spot for this HH Old dark Fired,

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boring + good > Exciting + bad.

I suppose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

paulie well..20€f for 50g is a bit much tho! Dan Pipe has it for around 8-9€ iirc

Sweet, I'm craving to try Amphora Brown, everyone recommends it when I bring up how nice I find Amphora Red (Full). When you order at the shop, PM me, I'll take a pouch or two of Amphora Brown. I guess shipping isn't a problem with you being an EU citizien, or is it?

edit: +1 on Deathmetal. I like them for what they are. No-Thinking, no-fancy, easy enjoyable blends with full flavour, yet not so multi-dimensional. A great choice when working, learning for school and alike. Just puff it without having to think too much!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deniz: shipping causes No problem,when getting my next part I shall get in touch(always trying to use the cheapest 1-2 class standard lettermail mailing method whenever I post something wheter is U.S or within Europe)

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. kwilliams40

kwilliams40

Login to Send PM

I just ordered a few pouches of this blend from SmokingPipes after watching a YouTube review of it. Sounds like a good light aromatic...

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No-Thinking, no-fancy, easy enjoyable blends with full flavour, yet not so multi-dimensional.

@deniz

Sometimes the dimensions are within... well. It's not something one encounters in everyday life.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

well spoken deathmetal!

@kwilliams: I think you are on spot there, it's a tobacco-forward aromatic tobacco. You'll like it if you have some love for chocolate-ish, yet spicy tobaccos. Have fun and maybe tell us what you think about it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

yet not so multi-dimensional.

Actually, I find that smoking Amphoras on the dry side brings out more complexity. Even though they are already quite dry right out of the pouch (compared to other aromatics), I always microwave for 30 seconds before smoking. Removes some of the sweetness and lets the orientals and burleys come through more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sounds good quint! Amphora Full (red) comes pretty moist, at least mine is and it holds the moiste quite long. The brown one came crispy, perfect. I'll try to give it some drying time, thanks for the tipp!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

on my experience all varietes of Amphoras benefit from some 10-20 min airing' time prior to smoke(obviously this relates to how fresh they were when bought)perhaps this is general rule when so called 'Dutch type of blends are considered

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, captainsousie, jpmcwjr, fishnbanjo, transpose, dochudson, spartacus, ssjones, pappymac, autumnfog, ben88, tobefrank, bigtex