PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
None of the Dutch blends are as easy to obtain as they were, back in the day - Amphora, Troost, Flying Dutchman. Sail is the easiest to find. Back then, of course, the Dutch blends were in the drugstores, along with the American blends and MacBaren. :puffy:

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I smoked a lot of Amphora Red Full Aroma back in the late 60s and early 70s. I was young and single and its' attraction qualities for young ladies was no small reason it ended up in my pipe. I also heard this was the favorite smoke of the late actor William Conrad.
Smokey

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
When i first started to smoke a pipe back in the early 70 i smoked mainly amphora

and from what i recall it was a great tobacco that was when i lived in south africa

recently i asked the tobacconest if he could get me some as there was none on his

shelves for some reason they dont import the range into the uk dont realy

know the reason as there are manny other tobaccos that i can get
david

(SCOTLAND)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Amphora is still a widespread OTC in Canada - I smoke brown (original blend) on occasion. The pouches don't denote who the importer is, but I suspect either the Scandinavian Tobacco Group Canada (responsible for most Canadian OTC's, including Capt. black and Sail) or Imperial Tobacco...although those are just guesses.
Perhaps if you shoot them a letter, they can direct you to a vendor? Worth a shot at least...

The pertainent info provided is as follows:
Mfg under license of Van Nell Tabac, Netherlands
Amphora; PO Box 96

4900 AB Oosterhout, the Netherlands

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Never smoked Amphora but in the 70's I smoked a Dutch tobacco called Eikens, anybody remember this ? I loved this brand, can't find anything about it, Petersons holiday season 2011 reminds me of this. :crying:

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Amphora has been around for over 50yrs. It was my first pipe tobacco snd I started smoking it in 1957 because I liked the taste and smell and I could keep the stuff lit. Remember how tough it was as a "new" pape smoker to actually smoke a pipe without using an entire box of matches? I know, I know, some of you younger troops are asking "What is a match?"

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Being from Belgium originally,Van Nelle Amphora is what I smoked when I first "messed" around with pipes in my college days. I haven't seen it around here, but I'm going to look for it next time I travel to visit mum. If I can bring enough, I might be willing to parcel some out for those that want some. It'll be next summer though :-( patience is a virtue.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
I heard it was a decision to avoid American-style litigation...heard that about 10 years ago, but don't know if it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.