PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I may have to forgo getting any further pipes for the next little while in light of the fact mosquitoes are about to eat my dog alive. We can't go out back because they're drawn to dark sources and CO2 which my dog's back is black although the rest of him is tan/white. I've sit watching him as they begin to fly around him and have seen as many as a dozen on his face, muzzle ears and feet. I usher him out to take a leak and get him back inside.
So, I'm convinced I need to do something and went Internet hopping for an answer. This looks like one of the best ones albeit, not cheap but hell, what price to pay for peace? I'm just about decided to order it. The "skeeters" didn't get bad until a few weeks back but now they're worse. You can't go out especially around 9:00 am or 6-7:00 pm because they're all over him but few bother me. I think most are those Tiger Mosquitoes because they have white dots on them. Hacks me off I have to do it but I don't want those pests eating him alive.
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Rhino-CPSV3100-Skeetervac-Eliminator/dp/B00134MOUG/

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Convinced me-especially the video. I have to do something. Even though I give him Interceptor(heart worm preventative) each month, I still don't like them biting him all over. Probably none carry the micofilia that causes heart worms but, they need to be controlled.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I don't have any experience with getting rid of mosquitos - but I sure hope that works for you. Good luck!

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've read garlic's not good for dogs...too much can be toxic. For whatever the reason, maybe too many mild winters, they're worse this year.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Maybe I should call someplace like Orkin first to see if that does any good. For what they'll probably charge, I could get the unit and use it next year. The only drawback is having to find a place that sells propane, which I've never used before.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
most of your local gas stations should sell propane containers. at least in the md west lol

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You can also dilute Mothers Apple Cider Vinegar and rub it into your dogs fur. Keeps skeeters away very well. I am from Rural Nova Scotia and it is an ongoing battle every year.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I think the unit requires a 20# tank. I don't know if they sell those or not or what's normal. I've never been a camper or back yard chef so, I've never had the need for propane and don't know a thing about the tanks. Most gas stations here sell gas and whatever's in the convenient store. There are no gas stations per se like they use to be.
Vinegar...never thought of that but sure will try it tomorrow. He'll smell to high heaven as he's an inside buddy but hell, anything to keep the skeeters off him. Dilute 50/50?

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Scroll down a little and watch this video...most impressive.
http://www.northlineexpress.com/skeetervac-sv3100-mosquito-trap-1-acre-cpsv3100.html

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
i get the ones for my grill. im assuming they are standard size so that people are easily able to get them.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I pass by a couple on my way home and will check them out tomorrow. Maybe I should load my shotgun with grits to kill them off...yeah, that's the ticket. :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
After the West Nile outbreak here in Texas, they have started spraying both from land vehicles and in the air. I've noticed a significant reduction here. We had no winter this year so it's bad.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
We've had trouble here as well in my area but not in the immediate neighborhood...maybe a few miles away. That's where the health department had them spray. I need them to spray in my back yard! I think most of what I've seen are the Tiger mosquito as they're black with white dots on the legs and some on the back. One landed on my arm and I let it stay there a few seconds to see what it looked like and it fit the pictures I've seen...little bastards.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That garlic thing doesn't work on people...

I ate a lot of garlic, and they came after me like there was no tomorrow.

I suppose they might have been Italian mosquitos...

They apparently like a lot of garlic in their red sauce... :rofl:
Sorry. No offense... Just a joke.

Albeit a bad one. :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You can buy outdoor foggers and treat any standing water that you can't remove with Chlorine, but you have to weigh your mosquito problem with coating your property in pesticide. You can also buy commercial larvacides that will kill mosquito larvae. Bats also get rid on mosquitos. A few bats is no problem but if you get colonies that are too large you riun the risk of being exposed to Histoplasmosis.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
if they werent italian they were greek lol. no offense either. my wife grew up in greece so garlic is in everything. im not complaining tho.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Try to get a hold of some Avon Skin So Soft Insect wipes. They are great! They regular Avon SSS lotion works well, too, but the wipes

Are more convinient and especially so for the fur-kids. Mosquitos have been terrible here, too, the last few weeks, around the same times of day you mention. They make it miserable to be outside…

Status
Not open for further replies.