Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Ammo vs Tobacco (Not Political)

(50 posts)
  1. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Americans: in light of the legislative climate, how are y'all balancing and prioritizing your ammunition and tobacco stockpiling? I'm running into problems balancing both! With hunting season behind us, I am assessing and realized I have spent far more on tobacco than ammo/magazines. Concerning...

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been stocking up on ammo for years, Im working on baccy now

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As an outside observer, I think one is more likely to face increased taxes in the next 12 months+ and the other is more likely to face greater restrictions in the next 12 months+. Act accordingly...

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. igloo

igloo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hit what I shoot . When I was a young boy my father instilled in me the conservation of ammo . So baccy is my TAD .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I'm worried about on-line shipping restrictions concerning tobacco. The IPCPR sent out a memo warning people that states are starting to ask for invoices on tobacco shipped to their state. Meaning the tax man cometh. It may not matter to some but in my state its 95%.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

95% tax??

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Washington State

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The IPCPR sent out a memo warning people that states are starting to ask for invoices on tobacco shipped to their state.

I know online vendors have to also collect applicable taxes for the state they're physically located in -- for example, if I live in New York State, Pipes and Cigars will charge me NY taxes.

I'm aware of states are asking (this is not new, Lou Rothman got all anal about this years ago) ... but ...

what I'd like to know is which ones, if any, of our sponsors here are complying with that right now and for what states besides where they are located?

It sure would be good to know, because I'm thinking that if this is done without our knowledge, it's a problem in and of itself.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta wonder how many posts this will get to before it gets political and gets closed.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frankly, Mr Jud, I have found that you're the member most likely to jump on a thread that mentions guns or ammo and make it a controversy. Let's leave this one alone. Please place your personal prejudices aside and allow us our meanderings. There is NOTHING political about this thread.

Good evening, sir.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It'd be interesting to hear some valid info on my question though.

It's a bit scary to think that, if you're buying a lot of pipe tobacco (like more than a few pipe puffers are doing), he/she could end up with a huge tax bill from their state dept. of revenue ...

It'd make a very interesting investigative article, but I'm sure many vendors are sensitive about disclosing whether they, specifically, are complying with the states who request this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth- agreed. And part of a broader tax issue regarding on line purchases set in sharper relief by the issue of tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. dervis

dervis

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most probably know this but be sure to store and watch your ammo. It does have a shelf life. That being said I split my budget between the two. Both WILL only go up in price and both will probably be illegal eventually.

"You have to be a man first before you're a gentleman. "

John Wayne
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

P&C will not ship to my state or Marscigars.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. dottle

dottle

Login to Send PM

Im aleady planning and getting ready to grow my own baccy on this farm this year,,NC is baccy country and Im gonna start out trying my luck with some virginia bright flue cured. The way things are going it will prob be the only way to go in the long run.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am trying to squirrel as much tobacco away as I can afford each month. I expect the door to start slamming shut soon. You're really not paranoid if they are really out to get ya!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. tjameson

tjameson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well working for a gun dealer I've seen the demand shoot through the roof. I think it's smart to stock up on ammo while you can but keep in mind everyone is charging more right now. If you have a decent stockpile hold onto it and wait another month or two and you'll see prices drop and availability increase. We got a shipment in today and within 5 minutes we sold out of .22, .223, and by the time I left at 6 we were out of 9mm and 7.62x39. Demand is insane right now and everyone is just trying to keep up. You might also consider selling what you have in small quantities for a profit.

BLACKBLOODs for life...just please keep making Black House!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spent 5 years stockpiling all things gun now I'm on the tobacco run. Why is it that everything I love makes me an enemy of the state???

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spent 5 years stockpiling all things gun

Same here, though more like...forever. I've been collecting firearms all my life, rarely ever turn loose of one. I figure if things go bad, I'm prepared. If not, well, I'm prepared anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. juvat270

juvat270

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been collecting guns and ammo since I was old enough to shoot. I also reload so I'm pretty good on ammo. My tobacco stash is pretty decent. Could be better. But I'd survive a few years without being able to buy any.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like I've said for years, stockpile Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. If the government has a department(BATF) to regulate it, you'd better be stockpiling it.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

htmn246

Login to Send PM

Good thing I live on the Oregon border I can drive to a great tobaco store in Portland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I work for a sporting goods store and let me tell you... Ammo demand is CRAZY. We can't keep some calibers in the store long enough. But as I'm not a shooter I have not been saving up as much tobacco as I should/would like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the contrary, Mr. Sothron, I never discuss politics on this forum, since it is clearly against the rules. I merely point out when others are. Have a wonderful day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well thank goodness there is someone here that can keep order and be a conscience to the rest of us unruly criminal types who like to break the rules. I am always so glad when the sheriff shows up to teach us poor towns folk the error of our ways...... For some reason I thought that was the moderators jobs course I could be wrong, after all I'm just a pipe puffin, redneck.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

OK, gang. As "sheriff" I'm telling everyone to not point fingers and start a flame war. Let's keep to the topic at hand.

For my part, I will continue to buy up tobacco to get my cellar into a size that I deem large enough to not have to worry about my favorites disappearing. Since I only shoot occasionally, at targets at that, I don't see a need for stocking up. That said, when I went to my local gun shop, they were completely out of .22 rounds. They're supposed to et more "next week" but since I won't be able to get there in the wee hours of the morning to wait in line, looks like I'll be out a little longer.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

ram74

Login to Send PM

I am stockpiling way more tobacco than ammo because I can't find ammo! I have been shooting through my stockpile of ammo faster than I can replenish it. I am going to get into reloading in the near future so I don't have to deal with these ammo shortages.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ram, yes, I think reloading is probably the way forward. Easier to make one's own ammo than one's own pipe tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here in Canada we don't seem to be going through the same shortages issues with ammo. Of course if you buy too much at once because everything is recorded in a little book you might get a visit from big brother to check what you need with all that ammo. I shoot IPSIC and PPC and have been reloading my own for a while now. Lead is getting harder to get what with China buying a bunch of it up for automotive tooling. Tobacco here is not exactly the greatest selection. In the small town that I live near, about 20,000 people including surrounding area the best you can do at one store in town is get a pouch of drug store tobacco like Erinmore, CB or if you are really lucky one of the Brigham blends. Of course for your trouble it will run you about $25.00 including tax.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why is it that everything I love makes me an enemy of the state???
    Has always been my question as well.

I also reload so I'm pretty good on ammo

Im aleady planning and getting ready to grow my own baccy on this farm this year

Both of these are the way to go.

As far as me... Im concentrating on tobacco at the moment. My firearms and ammo are not where I would "like" them but I have a buddy who travels around the country looking for a reloader, ammo and firearms on a purely cash and carry basis!

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buy Tobbaco and quit target practice, hold what you got, the tide will turn, more Americans are seeing the media for what they are. HYPOCRATES, probably didn"t spell that right, don"t care , I can shoot. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

quit target practice

Use a shotgun, less practice required

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris if you are a shotgunner, trap and skeet etc. Look at Natchez. I got their catolog the other day and they have dove and quail loads #8 shot for $4.99. Been years since I saw that price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

One good thing is that both items are great for bartering.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Kanaia, you forgot booze. I'm thinking about making my own still and trying my hand at making some spirits. Purely for my own consumption since I'm sure ill screw it up and make trash.

-Jason

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lordnoble, we make a lot of hooch down here on the farm, mostly from the abundant muscadines that grow everywhere. Also various blackberry contraptions as the bushes grow like weeds. We've also experimented with more traditional spirits. A fine hobby. And yes, an excellent barter item.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I used to make my own beer. But when we sold the house in New Hampshire, I was not around, so my wife threw out all the beer making stuff. I miss the bail top 24 ounce bottles most as those are impossible to replace. Oh well, I buy my beer now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. falcon76

falcon76

Login to Send PM

I was lucky and stocked up on ammo before it started flying off the shelf at high prices. Tobacco on the other hand I have just started to stock up on,hope I have time before it to becomes to expensive. I should make the two minute drive to the brewery supply store and brush up on my home brewing now that it has been mentioned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth, you can buy bail top bottles for homebrewing. You probably will not want to buy what you once had for free, but it is an option. There is a Canadian manufacturer for sure and I am certain there is an American supplier, if not alternative manufacturers. I have seen them listed in Brew Your Own magazine which is an American publication and I have used them many times myself. The glass will last forever and all you need to do is occasionally replace the gaskets after several uses...

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well thank goodness there is someone here that can keep order and be a conscience to the rest of us unruly criminal types who like to break the rules. I am always so glad when the sheriff shows up to teach us poor towns folk the error of our ways...... For some reason I thought that was the moderators jobs course I could be wrong, after all I'm just a pipe puffin, redneck.

I always felt that you weren't much of an American if you didn't break one or two laws/ordinances every day. We are, after all, a nation founded by rebels, born of rebellion, bought and paid for with the blood of the same, and owe it to our ancestors/forefathers to carry on that grand tradition of freedom and defiance. Stockpiling tobacco, guns, ammunition, liquor, and anything else that's frowned upon by "civilized" society is something any decent and traditional American Patriot owes to his country

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

+1 Mike

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

OK, gang. As "sheriff" I'm telling everyone to not point fingers and start a flame war. Let's keep to the topic at hand.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

I'm good on ammo so I'm stocking up on tobacco. I'm also growing some and experimenting with curing methods and and leaf types to see what will make the best smoke. I've got a little air cured burly that turned out ok just very strong and harsh. May be by the time the hammer falls I will have my system worked out to make a good smoke. I to make some home made wine so I have got all the important stuff covered.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Always reloading, if we can find the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pretty good store of ammo for my two bolt actions. Fortunately I make my own booze and can reload ammo if necessary. I'm working on a 15 gallon batch of sake right now,and a coupla gallons o wine. Stockin up nicely on the tobacco, I mean nowhere near like say, Cigrmaster's stash. but I could probably run a few months On what I got. and as far as just strict supplies go I'm pretty far out in nowhere land where I live and can bowhunt,butcher,tan hides, smoke,render fat to make candles,use bone to make arrow heads,use sinew to make bow strings,and make my own recurve bows, and fletch the arrows.
    So when the apocalyptic schiza hit the fan, I should be set.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Good bolter anytime over a semi, but I have both

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Roth, you can buy bail top bottles for homebrewing.

Thanks, Simenon, but they're not my bottles. I collected my Belgian ale bottles over a 10 year period and they are no longer sold in the USA. I lost interest after realizing my bottles, equipment and supplies had been all thrown out. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what I'd like to know is which ones, if any, of our sponsors here are complying with that right now and for what states besides where they are located?

I think any vendor who complies should be obliged to inform us up front that they do so before our order is completed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I no longer shoot center-fire rifles or shotguns my hearing can't take it any longer. I have more 22lr ammo then I can possibly ever shoot. I own 7 22lr rifles.. 1 lever, 2 bolts, 3 auto. I own more 22lr pistols then I want to admit. For conceal carry, which I rarely do, I have enough 380, 38+, 45acp & 357sig. I'll add more when the rush is over.

I was into cigars before pipes I have thinned those down to boxes of top shelf smokes which will last me. All my money is going into pipe tobacco these days. Every order includes a tub of CH or PA.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Collect both, both of these items are also good for barter. Don't waste ammo like old cajun said.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jdmack09, dixie, ravenwolf, hawke, layinpipe, monty55, shaintiques