PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
My latest test run features Smokindawg's excellent split brass casing on the business end. Thanks Smokindawg -Great idea with the tubing cutter.
072.jpg

CAL .45 ACP

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That's pretty nice. I'm currently making some ammo tampers with drift wood but can't cut the spent bullet casings. Mine will be a little longer but still pretty cool.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Gentlemen for the very kind comments. I've been away from wood turning for a few years but now that I've got my workshop set up I'm having a great time with it. I'm sitting on a few good pieces of wood so more interesting stuff to come I'm sure.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I tried the tubing cutter also and it does a much nicer job than a hack saw. I've also tried chucking them up in the lathe to cut them but my parting tool is a bit wide for something like this.Need a narrower one. Mine is carbide and my grinder won't hardly touch it.

Anyway,it was kinda hard for me to hold the casing and crank the cutter around,my grip isn't what it used to be. Brass is quite a bit harder than copper tubing to cut,even though I was taking light cuts with it.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Nice job BentMike. I think cutting the casing alolowsd more uniform shaping and allows for a better looking tamper than the full length. (Just my opinion) I'll be making a few more from exotic woods. I'm going to try too make one from wood with the internal pick as well, like I did with the one acrylic I made this way.
Keep up the good work.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@ejames I agree, the brass is harder to cut than copper. I thought the blade in my cutter must be dull. To get a grip on the case I clamped it with a wood furniture clamp then spun the cutter tightening the knob a little bit each rotation. The length of the case is just enough to allow the pipe cutter to rotate between the jaws of the clamp. My favorite thing in the workshop is finding new ways to use tools or making tools for specific projects.
@smokindawg what I liked about cutting the brass was exposing the much thicker walls at the base end of the case allowing for a deeper step to be cut into the wood. Exactly the spot were the brass and wood meet. It sure helps that the tube cutter and the lathe naturally cut square to the axis of the stock providing perfect mating surfaces.
I'm interested in the internal pick. Sounds like a winner.
Fun stuff.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Take a look at pipe Accessories and scroll down to recent ammo pipe tampers and the one with the internal pick is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.