PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I see commercials for this stuff and it's starting to pop up in stores. I guess it's some sort of wood cleaner and polish. Has anyone tried it on pipes yet?

Jun 4, 2014
I never heard of the stuff so I gave it a quick Google. First thing I noticed was a warning Not for Human Consumption. That sends up a red flag, plenty of pipe specific products to use.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
That's a red flag for me too but then again I notice many who buff their stems with flitz or some other such metal polish. On the outside of the bowl I wouldn't think it would matter much. I'm often wrong though.

No, there are many Amish that smoke pipes. I'm not sure if they make pipes, but of they did, I would imagine that they'd be rather bland. However, they do grow tobacco, at least the Amish here do. I can't speak for all of them. But, I will have to pay more attention to their pipes, next time I visit their market.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
If its anything like the Irish the no mustache thing originated from anti English sentiment.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
It would be interesting to know why Amish grow their beards that way. And why and what they smoke ( pipes and tobacco)
John

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't use anything that doesn't list ingredients. You don't know what you're using so there's no way to know what it will impart to your pipe. These seems to be some concern that it uses a silicon component to produce the smooth surface. It's nothing new. Just a repackaging of a product promoted by the same company that coined the phrase, "As seen on TV!"

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
And they have the smallest phone directory in the world! I have always wondered what an Amish cable television network would look like if it actually existed. You could see the announcer saying something like .... 'Tonight in Yodder Town, JR, the head of the Yodder family debates with his son and neighbors whether he should build a second barn and would it be looked favorably on by his cousin Irvin Yodder. The pastor of the church is caught in a delicate situation with one of his congregations sheep whilst the villages suspicions that Nathan Yodder is using hurricane lamps from Sears with batteries and not oil is confirmed by Velma Dinkley Yodder and the team from the Mystery Buggy and he is banished to live with the English. Also in this episode the head of the Yodder household becomes concerned about his son who has taken to staying in bed after 6 AM and has been caught with a stash of magazines featuring women who are not wearing bonnets. Meanwhile Megan, the Yodder's oldest daughter learns that the straw cap fitted by Dr Yodder has failed and she is now pregnant by her cousin Hans Yodder!' You have to admit it would be a riveting station to watch as the rest of the world has moved on to Apple TV so cable might just fit in with their horse buggies!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought I have just realized that making fun of the Amish is quite amusing as they will never know as they never go online. I mean who has ever head of of a horse powered computer! :rofl:

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Blind Date would be the perfect show for that channel.
Samuel comes form Pennsylvania , where he has many fertile acres, he loves buttermilk and tells us all four wheels of his buggy roll. Clip Clop!!!!
As an after thought I have just realized that making fun of the Amish is quite amusing as they will never know as they never go online. I mean who has ever head of of a horse powered computer!
And if they do find out what are they going to do, shun you?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
After an Amish man marries he grows a beard. Mustaches are regarded as "militaristic," and therefore forbidden. The Amish are among the most self-sufficient people in the world, and their farmers and carpenters typically have skills to be admired. After the grid collapses and we are stumbling around in the dark, lost because our iPhones do not work, it is to these folks that many will turn. And despite our derision of them, they will help...

Jun 4, 2014
Amish men grow their beards when they get married. Steve was right about the mustache, in Germany it was associated with military service. The reason why goes back to the old testament where it says something about not rounding the corners of your head or beard.
Now you've had your history lesson, Jakey is standing along the road next to his horse and buggy looking worried when the local pow wow doctor comes along. "Jakey, what's the matter?" "He just stopped and now he won't go" Jakey replied. The old pow wow climbed down from his buggy and check the animal over several times. He then goes to the back of his buggy and gets a 2x4 hauls off and wacks the horse in the balls. The horse rears up and lets out a tremendous fart. The pow wow smiles at Jakey and says " cust as I though, vapor lock!"

Status
Not open for further replies.