PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Tomorrow my wife and I will leave for a weekend at a quilt show in an Amish village in Indiana. We will celebrate our 20th anniversary. This will be the eqivalent of the Chicago Pipe Show, for quilters. She did not know anything about this, so I get major husbanding points for finding it.
Obviously, I don't care about the quilts. But I have noticed that where there are quilts, there are often beds. The Amish men make incredible furniture. I can spend the weekend admiring some awesome woodworking. The kids are old enough to fend for themselves. Lots of good country cooking. And there is a store that advertizes over 100 different kinds of cheese.
Winton

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Happy Anniversary!! Good work in the husband points gathering area. My wife does some quilting, but cheats and uses some sort of computer based machine to do a lot of the work.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
You're right; the Amish make great furniture. We went to an Anabaptist community last year for a "Heritage Festival" (which was similar to what the Amish do). Their handcrafted woodwork, furniture, weaving, cheesemaking, animal husbandry, blacksmithing, etc. skills were amazing. They even teach classes - like make an oak log into a spindle chair in a week by hand. Amazing demonstrations. I'd really like to learn handcrafting skills.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My wife and I had a blast on our vacation to the Amish quilt show. The whole weekend went something like:

Mrs Look at all this glorious fabric!

Mr Look at the 14" wooden beams that they build this three story building with!

Mrs Looking at fancy needlework at a antique store.

Mr Looking at 8", single bevel, broad ax at same booth.
One fabric store has a pipe oriented fabric on order. Perhaps I can talk my wife into making a small pipe quilt to cover a fuse box in our basement.
Winton

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I saw a two level pipe stand with 20+ pipes in it. But they were asking $425 for the set. I did stop at one B&M, but the only pipe tobacco they had was Borkums Rift and a few OTC blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.