PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I have been looking for at MARK TINSKY pipes and seriously considering buying, I know these are quality pipes, I found a listing for an "AMERICAN SMOKING PIPE CO (MARK TINSKY)" pipe, description says early 1990 era pipe and was wondering if this would be a worthwhile purchase for the $100-120 range
Any info about that era Tinsky pipe would be appreciated,

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The story is here,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/American_Smoking_Pipe_Co.
With the prelude here,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/JHW_Pipes

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Probably. I kind of like the styling of the earlier pipes. The quality will be first rate most likely. If you like the looks and its been cared for, it will probably become a favorite. My 2 cents.
Mike S.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think I found the pipe you are talking about. The markings aren't completely clear, but the REG. No. appears to be 11/89-CR (I can't make out the last digit) and below that some markings that may refer to a pricing code. So, the pipe was made by Curt Rollar in November 1989. The pipe looks to be in excellent condition, I would not hesitate to buy that pipe at the price, Curt Rollar made some very fine pipes. This eight sided bent Dublin from 1982 was one of the pipes that completely changed the way I thought about pipes. I bought this a few years ago, up until that time I had mostly traditional shapes. This is one of the two pipes that revealed to me the sculptural potential of a pipe, the other is the Mark Tinsky Pristine below it.
tinsky-015-600x449.jpg

tinsky-006-600x449.jpg

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
IMH 2 cent opinion, I would not hesitate to purchase an ASPC pipe at that price. I think I found the listing you are referring to also. It's a beautiful pipe carved by Curt Rollar. I have a soft spot in my heart for old ASPC pipes. I think the story of how the company began is amazing. Two avid bikers peddling across Europe in search of some of the finest blocks of briar available. Tinsky, so obsessive about carving pipes, pitched and lived in a tent in Curt's back yard. These two ate, slept and shit pipes. This type of obsession is what makes me respect this particular company. How can one make a bad pipe when in the early stages of the game (late 70's -80's) they were so immersed in their craft? The pipe in question is from a decade or more later than that. That's another 10 years of pipe carving experience under APSC's belt. The American Smoking Pipe Company's story, to me, is on par with Danish pipe carving master, Preben Holm. But the ASPC story has no sad ending and is still going strong.
I had four ASPC pipes from 1980. I gifted one to someone a while back and I am left with three. All of them estate pipes. Two of them are still waiting for me to refurb them. One is finished. I smoke it and it is a fine smoker. It's a winter pipe because it's a dedicated lat pipe. I like a long latikia smoke in the colder months and this pipe is a champ at providing a long, cool and outstanding latakia smoke.
If you want a pipe carved by Mark Tinsky, it's not the one we're looking at. But it is a fine looking pipe and there is a higher than average chance that the pipe we are looking at will be a great smoker. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that one unless I had my heart set on a Tinsky carved pipe.

Good luck.

May your lovers stay hot and your pipes stay cool.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I've always heard about Tinsky pipes although not actively seeking one, and knew nothing of ASPC or Curt Rollar's association until I saw this listing. The past day I have been researching and convinced this would be a good investment, whether it is a Tinsky or Rollar pipe will be determined with further investigation.
I thank everyone for their input and will keep the forum posted on this pipe should I acquire it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Pretty cool. I have an old American pipe, but unfortunately, I cannot ascertain if Mark Tinsky or Curt Roller made it.

BsLYt5QCWkKGrHqEOKjUEvYWm7I-NBL24hFfzpQ_3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.