Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Hi all - my first post.

I realize chances are ~nil, but ya never knows.

Wondering if anyone has seen one like this.

No name, bands unmarked and cast, not plated or corroded, so possibly 10K?

The bottom thingy(?) is hand engraved probably 4/59 (for production date?) but maybe 4/501 (for anyone's guess).

I think Lucite stem.

Currently a homebrew bamboo churchwarden convertible to straight so I can enjoy it.
100_1570-150x112.jpg

100_1571-150x112.jpg

100_1572-150x112.jpg

100_1573-150x112.jpg

Fingers crossed! :)
Terry

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is not an American meerschaum. What you have is a standard late 19th century 'cutty' that has probably been repaired both on the shank and the bowl. I suspect you might have an amber stem there but its difficult to tell from the small pictures. Here is a picture of what it would have looked like before you 'customized' it into the pipe equivalent of a Harley Davidson chopper.
pipes_02_Aug_2014_02_zpsddd388a5.jpg

These pipes were made in Paris and were very popular between 1890-1910 thereafter most smokers opted for the meerschaum billiard style either in the short length of five inches or the more common size seen today on some of the more popular Turkish pipe web sites. Does it have a case? You might consider sending it in to have it repaired as they make a wonderful smoking pipe if set up properly.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
No case.

Just the hardness and clarity, color aside, makes me think Lucite.

A heated pin applied to the stem face gives a distinct ammonia-ish odor, not the burning plastic smell I expected.

FWIW, the double-ended threaded joiner between the stem/shank is broken, so the "customizing" is to make it smokeable, which it is, and nicely.

I don't know size limits on posting pix, so I went with what I thought should work.

Here should be larger:

100_15701-150x112.jpg

100_15711-150x112.jpg

100_15721-150x112.jpg

Actually, I rode Norton, Matchless, Triumph, BSA Gold Star, Ducati Desmo and BMW Boxer in younger days, but I like the looks of some Harley choppers. :)
Terry

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As an after thought the double threaded bone connectors are available and if you ask around the forum someone with have some.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Here is a picture of what it would have looked like before you 'customized' it into the pipe equivalent of a Harley Davidson chopper.
Translation: You Bloody Fool, you might have well as shit on a Mona Lisa. Condorism 101...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Disclaimer: Please take no offence in my comments(Just Havin Fun) etc46, Welcome to the forum...

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
[Brough Superior motorcycles in my case!]
SS 100s only, no doubt. ;-)
Certainly no offence weezell, and tnx.

Actually, I thought myself rather clever - some folks'll PAY to get a custom bamboo stem. :)
So, anyone have a bone connector to part with?
Terry

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually I had an SS 80 with the MX engine from Matchless and there is a picture of it on the 'Meerschaum PAD Condorlover1' thread from yesterday. I still have a 2 of everything JAP SS 100 with B&D sprung frame with castle forks which I have owned for ever and a day.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
A big upward thumb on the Brough! :)
The first few minutes of "Lawrence" are a heartbreaker every time.

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
This is mostly to see if I can imbed larger pix, but someone may find something of interest here.

Well no.

But right click/view will show in the album.
Terry

etc46

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
Hi Steve -

I think I've sorted pic posting, so I'll try again:

100_15701-600x450.jpg

AHHH! Sweet success! :)

FWIW, the connector fragment seems to be of the same material as the stem.

If Simon is correct, the 4/59 incised into the spur could be a presentation date (birthday or such).
Careful examination of the bowl's inner face and the shank face reveals nothing to indicate previous damage but I've never examined a repair such as Simon suggests to account for the bands on this pipe.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
These bands don't look like repairs. Lots of fancier pipes, both meer and briar, were sold with plain or ornate bands, usually on the end of the shank but sometimes also atop the bowl. Most were gold-filled, however that often wears through with age, so yours may be real gold. I recommend asking around at local jewelry stores to see who knows amber-- they can probably ID it and the gold. Stem looks like an older plastic replacement to me, but I could be wrong.
Either way, it's a classy pipe. Some of the pipe repair services out there can probably put in a new tenon, I'd give them a call.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've had a lot of old meerschaums and have gotten pretty good at IDing stem material. The color, lack of chips or crazing and the bit style say "lucite" to me. The flat bit is a real give away. I'll bet the opening is slotted instead of a round hole. The original was probably some sort of amber that was broken (they are fragile) and replaced.

Matching rim caps and bands on those were stamped and plated. They were pretty common on nice pipes in the late 19th, early 20th. Most are some sort of brass alloy. A slight pink tinge indicates the presence of copper. Some tarnish more than others. Silver was used too. On an American pipe that will simply be stamped sterling. I've seen thin gold plating on plain bands. It's always marked. They wanted you to know what it is.
Check out my CPF thread for another example of a matching rim cap and band.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a lot of this style of 'cutty' as they tend to be indestructable and usually are about 7' or 8' long with a chunkier stem. The earlier ones tend to be finer and similar in build to a clay pipe. Across the board I love them all as they are a simple, yet traditional style from yesteryear. Funnily enough I saw a couple of briar renditions of this pipe style on Oi Vay for sale in the last week or so with the same form of silver decorative cladding on the bowl and stem dated circa 1903.

Status
Not open for further replies.