American History:Deadwood & Boardwalk Empire Piqued My Interest.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After starting a thread about the HBO series 'Deadwood' and querying how true to real life in the period it was, I asked the forum for suggestions of another boxed set that might interest me as as a student of social history that was entertaining at the same time.
Many suggestions were made but by far the most popular was 'Boardwalk Empire', a huge 23 DVD boxed set. I read most of the Amazon reviews and the order was placed.
It took about halfway through the first season before I started to get to know the characters and their respective places in the story and I was hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed binge watching this fantastic series over the christmas period (when the UK channels show their dullest of dull output for the masses). I watched the last disc on my birthday (30th Dec) and was sad it was all over. Superb cast and acting, amazing studio sets I really couldn't fault it...though I did question why on the opening sequence to every episode there were hundreds of bottles of bootleg liquour floating in the sea...surely they would sink? Oh, and Steve Buscemi's two tone brogues were to die for!
Anyway, what both these series did for me was to pique my interest in American history, particularly the social aspect of things. I looked into and bought my first Kentucky Bourbon whiskies which I thoroughly enjoyed, my ex girlfriend hearing of this bought me another to add to my small collection.
I also read up all I could find on the American crime scene of both time periods, I learned more about the Volstead Act (already knew the basics), I even bought myself a map so as I knew where all the States were relative to each other.
On a recent thread (that was closed) two people suggested I buy the 'People's History Of The United States' by Howard Zinn. I just read reviews and have downloaded a sample to my Kindle to peruse...thanks chaps for the suggestion. If it's as good as it sounds I shall purchase the book.
I do have relations in America though we are not in contact, they all now being distant cousins. Many of my 'lot' settled in Provo, Bountiful and Salt Lake City back in the 19th century from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and were among the original pioneer settlers in Utah. I do have some written texts of their trials and tribulations plus quite a few photographs. One terribly sad tale relates to a 15 yearold Reuben Birkin (1st cousin once removed) who was crushed under the wheels of a wagon after the horses were spooked by a dog whilst at camp on the trail. They managed to get the severely injured lad to Provo but it was too late.
"Reuben Birkin has died from loss of blood and shock to the system, caused by having his leg mutilated and being dragged 40 yards in a cartwheel. In Provo City, Utah, America. Five doctors were present at the amputation on April 2nd, and he died at 7:30 P.M., after a few hours delirium, in which he thought he was driving the horse or shouting at the dog. Kind friends dressed the poor youth's body in American fashion as follows:- shirt, drawers, linen trousers, all white, and a bunch of white violets pinned on the breast. The coffin was of red pine. Deceased had many friends in Hucknall [Nottinghamshire] who will be sorry to hear of his death."
So, my interest in American history now piqued, thanks in large part to this forum, I have a lot to catch up on :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Jay I have a few pairs of correspondence brouges I love them.
I'd suggest Shelby Foote's series of books on the American Civil War.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, sir, you are in a uniquely advantageous position! Having an interest in American history without having first suffered one of two fates- either the whitewashed, unrelentingly optimistic falsehoods taught to earlier generations, or the overcorrected "America is evil", unrelentingly pessimistic falsehoods taught to current generations- is a rare and golden opportunity.
I will suggest three books for starters. They are not long, ponderous reads, but they will set you off in myriad directions after the quarry you seek.
1. "I Love Paul Revere, Whether He Rode or Not" by Richard Shenkman.

2. "Legends, Lies, and Cherished Myths of American History" by Richard Shenkman.

3. "An Underground Education" by Richard Zacks.
All are available on Amazon, if you are interested.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi chaps, thanks so much for the reading suggestions, it's much appreciated. I'm currently ploughing my way through a series of books by Liza Picard about the social history of London at various points in history. At the moment I'm reading the Victorian period and the Restoration period. Also reading Henry Mayhew's excellent 'London's Labour & The London Poor'. I tend to have several books on the go at once :roll:
I have saved the review pages of all the books you have suggested to me to return to once I get through this current batch. That said, I think I shall attempt a chronological approach to American history by seeking out some books on the first European settlers as that is the earliest period of interest to me. Anyone got any suggestions in that regard? Nothing on Columbus please as we all know he never discovered America.
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
The gin craze...huzzah...hic... :)
I have only read some general books on the beginnings of America, so I wouldn't be able to give you any specific recommendations.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I always understood it to be Leif Erickson. Anyone ever heard the album by Bob Calvert 'Lucky Leif And The Longships'?
Bob Calvert was a poet, musician and sometime singer with Hawkwind. The album mentioned above tells the story of America in his very unique style, the song lyrics being more poetry than song. Often quite hilarious!
Here is his take on the Volstead Act..
Volstead, Volstead

We don't think much of your act

It isn't funny, it's losing money

We reckon you ought to be sacked
Volstead, Volstead

Prohibition must go

Volstead, Volstead

Volstead o vodeo do
Volstead, Volstead

Why make a song and a dance

About people drinking? It's not good thinking

You don't stand the ghost of a chance
Volstead, Volstead

Volstead say don't you know

Volstead, Volstead

Volstead o vodeo do
The Chicago pianos are starting to play

Ukelele music is having its say

The machine-gun maestros are winning the day

John Barleycorn's here to stay
Volstead, Volstead

Capone is running this town

With personal charm he has gathered an army

That could drag the government down
Regards,
Jay.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
+1 davet, St Brendan as well,maybe.
I believe there may have been many before the Norse but we have proof for them with the sagas and with the archaeological digs at L'anse aux meadows Newfoundland.
fb54efce3dd55580394fa10f12171d5a.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I also believe Saint Brendan holds title to "first European to see North American. But, even his wee fleet of curraghs was long after, centuries in fact, eons, those migrating clans who utilized shallow seas to cross the land bridge,
In addressing the original post, if TV prompts a person to start looking for the truth, delving into history, it has done well.
Jay: If you are happy with some historical-fiction any of the four "Lonesome Dove" books by Larry McMurtry will provide a lot of information about how people lived in the later 1800s. He grew up on an a north Texas ranch hearing stories from people who lived it. Fiction they are but, how the people lived and survived is woven throughout his books.
Shelby Foote is considered as one of the authorities of the American Civil War, I have a first edition of his four volume work.
Frederick Remington was much more than a sculpture and artist. His true, personally observed or lived, stories are mostly about people in the Dakotas, Montana, areas of 1800s America. He was also a working handler of beef, a cowboy as they called them in Arizona. Cowboy was an pretty much an epithet back in those days.
After seeing any Burns' documentary a reading of personal accounts of the times is required to get a wide, unfiltered view as TV simply covers the high, entertaining spots. Go for diaries and first person accounts if you want unfiltered reading. Of course those also contain personal biases but, I find I can filter those much easier through reading as opposed to watching. It is easier to judge the perspective of the a writer than a movie producer.
Foote was not totally enamored with Burns' opus but, understood the limitations of video/film.
Winston Churchill's book about the American Civil War and Bruce Catton's writings are good introductions to that period. Foote's are probably the best, in depth writing available. But, none of them will give much insight as to how people lived. For that there are numerous small gems of personal histories, diaries, available written by widows, soldiers, and other survivors of the war.
I'll put together and PM a suggested reading list.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I have a dim and uncertain memory of Tim Severin on his Brendan Voyage coming across carved celtic stones on the Canada coast.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The St. Brendan story is a new one on me...something else for me to look into.
Warren, I'm not really much of a fiction reader, no matter the subject but I do look forward to your suggested reading list, many thanks :puffy:
I don't know if you folks know this, and it's of no great importance but Shelby Foote was a pipesmoker!
His three volume boxed set on the civil war does look interesting though I think perhaps three volumes on one particular aspect of American history might be a bit overkill for me. I'd sooner read three books on three different subjects.
Thanks to all for your tips & suggestions.
Regards,
Jay.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I like Michael and Jeff Shaara's novelized versions of the Civil War.
Bernard Cornwell's The Fort tells about a small battle during the American Revolution. Paul Revere doesn't come off very well in the story.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
51ro38lGOKL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jay et al,
For what I think is the definitive work, no BS, this is the guy. Following from commercial blurb, but is accurate.
The late Samuel Eliot Morison, a former U.S. Navy admiral, was also one of America's premier historians. Combining a first-hand knowledge of the sea and transatlantic travel with a brilliantly readable narrative style, he produced what has become nothing less than the definitive account of the great age of European exploration. In his riveting and richly illustrated saga, Morison offers a comprehensive account of all the known voyages by Europeans to the New World from 500 A.D. to the seventeenth century.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, you may want to consider The Barbarous Years: The Peopling of British North America by Bernard Bailyn. Starts pretty much from the beginning of European colonization of the eastern seaboard by the British, Dutch, Swedes, Fins, etc. Great detail on relationships with Indians, intertribal Indian relationships, the original commercial ventures, recruitment of endentured servants, the gathering up of orphan children of London as a labor source, how and why the endentured labor force failed and the turn to early slave labor, etc. Fascinating datail of the first real attempts at colonization, motivations, political machinations-- it's all in this book. Cheers, Jay
Eric

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, for further consideration here are some other suggestions for a chronological history on America's development. I haven't delved so much into the revolutionary period, but there's a lot of press on that even without seeking it out. For the period after the revolution you can try The Quartet: Orchestrating The Second American Revolution, 1783-1789 by Joseph Ellis. This delves into the dysfunction of the Articles of Confederation leading to the Eventual American Constitution and the internicen struggle for a stronger Federal government. The next big historical period in America's shaping was the Louisiana Purchase. For this try Jefferson's America: The President, The Purchase, and The Explorers Who Transformed A Nation by Julie Fenster. Next up-- Waking Giant: America In The Age of Jackson by David S. Reynolds. Andrew Jackson, that is of Battle of New Orleans fame. This is a fascinating read on the non political world tracking the rise of abolitionists, feminists, utopians, union leaders, and many crackpots who never made it to the history books. More to come, Jay!

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Next up-- Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways In America by David Hackett Fischer. Discusses the Exodus of the early English and how these people and their Folkways and language dispersed through and influenced American culture. Additionally, The American Fur Trade of the Far West by Hiram Martin Chittenden. For the period immediately before our civil war there there is a fascinating read by Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of New York's Central Park. Before he pioneered landscape architecture, he tried his hand at journalism. His reporting on a trip through the Antebellum South (prewar) is captured in A Journey in the Seaboard Slave States and The Cotton Kingdom. These two somewhat overlap one another, but they are fascinating first hand accounts of America's Deep South, it's culture, observations on daily life, it's isolation and problems of transportation. The American Civil War is really too broad to cover so I'll skip that. After the Civil War America's Indian Wars were important to the peopling of our western region. For this try Frontier Regulars: The United States Army and the Indian, 1866-1891 by Robert Utley and On the Border with Crook: General George Crook, the American Indian Wars, and Life on the American Frontier by John Gregory Bourke. This is a first hand account of the Indian Wars by one of General Crook's staff officers-- very good read. That's all for now, Jay. These will keep you busy for bit if you choose to read them all....

Status
Not open for further replies.