[closed]

American Airfields.

(98 posts)
  • Started 2 weeks ago by mawnansmiff
  • Latest reply from didimauw
  1. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I picked a hell of a day to stop sniffing glue.

Luckily, it seems that some of you are still going strong.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"We've once again proven why... EXACTLY why political posts aren't allowed on the forum. Because this is the kind of BS that happens every... single... time... without fail."

I said it earlier and I'll say it again now, I sincerely apologise for my original post. I know the rules and yet I broke them. I'll take anything coming my way if that is what the mods wish to do.

No way did I think it would take this route but on reflection I suppose it was inevitable.

Sorry chaps!

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Jay, absolutely no need to apologize. It was a silly mistake and your post made me laugh. We should always take responsibility for our own lapses in good humor, but be very careful in accepting the blame for other’s poor reactions. You didn’t force anybody to act a fool.

And I needed a larf. Carry on carrying on.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been interesting. No one's been ejected from Forums. However, it's true, we don't want to lose one of the salient features of Forums, a sort of orderliness that sometimes rises to downright civility. This is an oasis online, and I'm all for keeping it that way. I will vent my demons elsewhere, or if I'm wise, not at all.

Posted 1 week ago #
  5. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I’m very off again and on again here. I’m glad I came by today.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We’re all such wonderful people.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a scientific fact that pipe smoking makes one wonderful.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeepers, this is like one big teachable moment.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

woods', you'll keep us from getting the least bit starry eyed.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was an interesting turn of events. How nice of everyone to be nice
    And I agree with Tom. History is important.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jpberg, I have clearly upset yourself and others on the forum and I apologise, that was never my intention. I spied a quite widely available story shown on many world news organisations throughout the world and thought there was humour to be found in it.

Clearly some folks failed to see the funny side and got a bit ratty about it.

I can assure you all if the same was said by our own leader (who makes no claims to be a genius) I would still have made the same comments here.

But yes, at the end of the day I broke forum rules and should have known better....I have apologised twice now so please let's leave it there eh?

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still don't get it. What was so civil about that war?

My theory is that it's called the "Civil War" because in the early days, people would pack picnic baskets, load up their buggies and ride out to watch the battle between the "gentlemen" on both sides - much like they do for reenactments these days. At least, I think I remember reading about how they did that for at least one battle.

I was born and raised in the south and when I was in public school, the War Between the States was taught more than I presume it was in non-Southern schools. We learned for example, that while ending Slavery was one of the major factors in beginning the war, it was not the only reason for the war. The Anti-Slavery movement was just the gunpowder lit by the fuse - argument over states rights.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  13. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Sable was just being jocular with the pun, Pappymac. You're correct, though: the Civil War was about more than just slavery.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I think Sable was just being jocular with the pun, Pappymac. You're correct, though: the Civil War was about more than just slavery.

Yep, I was being jocular about it. And Pappymac's observation about folks packing a picnic to go watch the festivities is spot on, as is the observation that there were a number of currents flowing about that war.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Sable was just being jocular with the pun,

I assumed he was but that trope (Is that the correct word?) gets used quite often and I wanted to offer my opinion as to why. It has also briefly provided posts that doesn't mention airports - even though both sides used observation balloons which were up in the air.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My theory is that it's called the "Civil War" because in the early days, people would pack picnic baskets, load up their buggies and ride out to watch the battle between the "gentlemen" on both sides - much like they do for reenactments these days. At least, I think I remember reading about how they did that for at least one battle.

The First Battle of Bull Run (the name used by Union forces), also known as the First Battle of Manassas (the name used by Confederate forces).

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was in middle school, junior high '58-59), near Chicago, teaching about the Civil War/War Between the States/The Late Unpleasantness was strongly conciliatory. Civil Rights, from the perspective of the formerly enslaved, was percolating but not yet forefront, and I think there was a well-meant effort to simply heal the rift between the North and South as regions, and also not to affront people (whites) who moved into the Chicago area from the South. My first/late wife was Southern born, and her loyalty to the region, yet her intentional efforts to see a wider picture, were head-spinning. Her students were diverse and our neighbors were, in part, minorities.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

A civil war, by definition, means people of the same nation fighting against each other.

Civil: "of or relating to the state or its citizenry"

I'd argue war has little to do with civility.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quite right. But you can have a civil Civil War, or a barbaric one. For example, it's more civil to execute your prisoners than to torture them to their death.....OK, poor example, though true.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry chaps!
    Don't sweat the small shit Brother! Your always good in my book Jay!Now,all others Carry on with the happy horse shit...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  21. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I'm learning here is that a lot of people need to brush up on their Caesar! De Bello Civili is a classic text of strategy, diplomacy, and high political theatre. (Although I preferred the De Bello Gallico myself).

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 1 week ago #
  22. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

‘‘Twas on a summers eve in my tent, the day I overcame the Nervii.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make pipes not war. Or something like that...

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People who read history when young, and continuously in life, have a store of information for dealing with the present and planning for the future. Since we must all deal with time, knowing history is among the best tools for doing that.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People who read history when young, and continuously in life, have a store of information for dealing with the present and planning for the future. Since we must all deal with time, knowing history is among the best tools for doing that.

So true. Which is why it's so important to question the "official" historical narratives.

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past. -- Orwell

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see this thread is still breathing which surprises me somewhat.

I don't doubt for one minute that most if not not all mods (and possibly the main man himself Kevin) have viewed this thread and thought "leave it go and see how it pans out".

Only a guess but here's why.

Initially started out as purely a humorous snippet, this got folks talking but also encouraged some folks to take it personally (which in my view, for a while further enhanced the humour) but whose thoughts should quite rightly be taken into consideration. Anyone who knows me know that I occasionally post humorous articles and there is never any meanness intended to anyone....it's just for laughs.

As it worked it's way along, some folks failed to see the funny side of it (I have had PM contact with several who said the very same).

I think that political discussion can work on here just so long as it is taken with good humour on all sides and everyone accepting the frailties of the human condition.

Now political discussion where doctrines are put forward, that is a whole different kettle of fish.

Regards to you all,

Jay.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay,
    I've been trying to steer the conversation away from the original post and you go and bring it up again. LOL

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have no idea what this thread is about, but I'm closing it.

Consider yourselves moderated.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 week ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, alsatmem, alaskanpiper, nhhiggy, ben88, snagstangl, 64alex, danimalia, upnorth1, cshubhra