AMC TV Series Saturday. The Son

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tbradsim1
  • Latest reply from dcrguns
  1. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Read the book and makes Giant seem like a puff piece. It's a Series called The Son. Young boy in Texas his family killed by Indians, adopted by them, follows his life , Civil War, back to Texas to become the richest man in Texas. You will like it. Pierce Bronson plays the lead, don't tell me he can't play a Bad Western man until you see Seraphrim Falls.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seen the previews for this. It's on my list. Looks good.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never heard. Thanks Brad!!

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I've seen the previews and am planning on watching it too. Looks like There Will Be Blood again...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been waiting for this show. Problem is, I'm not sure how I'm going to squeeze it in with all the other shows I'm currently watching.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woohoo, Bradley! I love a Western with some meat on the bone.

I liked Edna Ferber's "Giant." Read it several times and truly love the movie. If this is the better mousetrap then I'm all in.

Who wrote "The Son"?

When "Seraphim Falls" came out I remember an interview with Brosnan and he said, "The first day of the shoot I'm on horseback against Liam. I yell out, 'We're playing cowboys!'"

From IMDB.com:

"Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan both said they had the most fun in their career making this film. They both loved westerns as kids, and were thrilled to finally to be in one."

Frogman, or anybody, what's that odd looking magazine fed rifle Brosnan is firing during the river crossing we've seen in the commercials?

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I need another tv show to watch like I need another pipe....but the advertisements shown so far look promising. I'll record it watch it in the Fall.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Brad, I'll have to catch it. It seems like new and good Westerns are becoming fewer and father between.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The inspiration for the revised novel grew out of recalling his time studying for his MFA at the University of Texas, during which Meyer became familiar with the so-called "Bandit War" of 1915–1918.[9] He saw the potential for a novel concerning the Bandit Wars and the "creation myth of Texas"[8] to explore broader historical issues about the development of America as a whole. After American Rust's publication, Meyer began to research Texas history more closely. Meyer has estimated that he read 350 or so books about the history of Texas and diverse topics from captivity narratives to guides on bird tracks[8] in the course of his composition of the novel.[9] To gather historically accurate material for the book, Meyer learned how to tan deer hides, taught himself how to hunt with a bow, spent a month with military contractor Blackwater for firearms training, and shot a buffalo at a ranch so he could drink its blood - giving him a reference point for Comanche rituals. PHILLIP MEYER Author.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cabinfever

cabinfever

Login to Send PM

@fnord, it's a Winchester Model 1907, .351 self-loading rifle.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting tidbit, Sam Neill was tapped to play the part, but backed out for personel reasons.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Cabinfever. Bradley informed me they made several magazines for the Winchester Model 1907.

It's a rifle and caliber I wasn't familiar with.

Any guess as to the sidearm in your pix? The pouches have me leaning to a 1911.

Fnord

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. cabinfever

cabinfever

Login to Send PM

@fnord, it could be a 1911. I do not know what time period this TV series was supposed to have taken place in. Could be a precursor to the 1911, maybe a Colt 1900 or Colt 1905.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks to the power of modern TV and a recorder.......I just watched episode 1. It's pretty good. Pierce Brosnan does a great job, but I kept thinking Sam Neil would be better.....then I read that Sam was originally though of. I continue to watch but I'll keep thinking Pierce is Sam....not in a creepy way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

First 5 minutes the acting is terrible, and I hate pierced brosnan perhaps more than any actor, but I love Comanche attacks, so I'm going to watch this

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

holy shit pierced brosnan is awful, does a terrible texas accent, bad casting

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

But I would absolutely recommend this show

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "present day" time period of the show is 1915.

Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

It took me a bit to warm up to it, but I'll continue watching, the story line is interesting and somewhat unique.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed the episode. I will continue watching the program.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. cabinfever

cabinfever

Login to Send PM

IF any of you are like us - no cable TV - you can watch it directly from the AMC website for free.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. dcrguns

dcrguns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was interesting. Being from Texas, we shall see how they portray us and how the show plays out. The Texan/Mexican thing is a little touchy and could get real political real quick. Pierce is no Texan but plays the attitude well, not the accent.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   alexashe, tfdickson, weezell, trubka2, 3rdguy, timelord, jrbjr, ajohnb, pepesdad1, ashdigger, npod