PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

graybeard68

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017
Hey Gang,
Does anyone know of someone that still makes amber replacement stems for old pipes? I know its a slim chance but a slim chance is better than none.
Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it is the visual appeal and not the material itself that appeals to you, I would think there are good faux amber acrylic stems, but I don't know who makes or sells them. You could start by asking at Forever Stems, and they might have them or refer you.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Some of the Meerschaum makers use amber stems and might be able to hook you up with something, Yanik comes to mind. Also you could look for a Meerschaum Pipe repairer.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I think Cosmic knows something about this subject. Its very expensive and to be honest why would you? Amber is hard on the teeth and I usually junk the stems and then have Rick at Briarville refit the pipe since some 'amber' is not amber and is highly cancerous!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hate amber stems. I mean, they're pretty to look at, but they're brittle and usually uncomfortably thick. Did I mention brittle?
If you're not hung up on historical accuracy, I'd suggest considering an acrylic stem.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
OMG, Condor, can I have your junked real amber stems?
I don't know where to find them, but i have been told it's $100-$125 per inch of amber used.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wyfbane just reach out to Ric at Briarville as he probably has quite a few of my old stems kicking around. I have a pretty large collection of pre-1915 and mostly 19th century cutty pipes as you probably well know and with a few exceptions I have had them all restemed since amber is brittle, plays hell on the teeth etc. You should also be very wary of some 19th century amber substitutes as these are highly toxic and very unstable after 100 years and hence why I don't take any chances and replace everything.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I believe Julius Vesz in Toronto has some old amber he uses for his special pipes, he might make you one for the right price, I doubt it would be cheap though.

graybeard68

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks everyone for the leads and advice. I will look into the best route regarding repairing & replacing them. I'll most likely have them replaced with acrylic stems for smoking and keep the original ones for collector & historical value.
Thanks again.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
I understand that it starts to get very brittle shortly after it comes out of the ground/ocean. I have a few antique pipes with amber stems but am always afraid to break them.

Status
Not open for further replies.