Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Amber Mason Jars

(36 posts)
  1. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Hey gang, I don't know if anyone else has seen these amber-colored mason jars around, but they've started to pop up in my neck of the woods. I wonder if they would be superior to clear ones for tobacco aging, since they claim to block 99% of UV light.

I know conventional wisdom says to store tobacco in a cool, dark place, but I don't recall any specific discussion on the effects of UV light on tobacco. Maybe I'll buy some and let y'all know how they work out in 15 or 20 years

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

They look like they are made for tobacco !

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I agree! And I believe they're the same price as the clear jars. It certainly wouldn't hurt to make the switch, even if there's no additional benefit.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice find. It's worth experimenting. What's the worst that could happen?

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seems like it would probably be a good thing, I haven’t seen em around here, we have the blue ones though.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They just look cooler than the clear jars to me

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure it matters unless you have them actually sitting in the sun.

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool. Only drawback is you can't see the color of the tobacco change over time, at least not as well.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

I'm on my way to buying some now!

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I'm on my way to buying some now!

Awesome! Let us know if you like 'em.

They're also available on Amazon, etc. in case anyone can't find them in their locale.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I like the looks of those, I'll stick to the clear jars so I can see what's going on with my tobacco without opening the jar.

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've used blue tinted canning jars for non-tobacco applications. Mostly for things I thought might degrade due to sunlight. For example herbal tinctures and pickled vegetables. I thought the blue tint looked nice. If you are storing in a place that never sees sunlight it may not matter much. If your jars get exposed to sun, tinted jars can't hurt.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I agree with Orley, I like to see what's happening in the jar. I store is several old wine coolers so I can control temp and humidity. Sun is not an issue. Guess my cellar isn't as big as some of you guys.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I had considered these and earlier the blue ones as I often keep jars out in the light due to lack of cellar space. And I was under the impresion any light, especialy U.V. was detrimental to tobacco long term. Maybe someone has evidence one way or the other?

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guess those are the ones I need to buy for Rumtopf!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

UV has to be detrimental to processed tobacco and it’s flavor components. So these jars are a great idea.

But what’s next? Pink-tinted jars to support breast cancer research? Rainbow-tinted to support LGBTXYZ preppers? Blue jars for Democrats? Red Jars for Republicans? Black jars for ANTIFA? Green jars for tree huggers?

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Red Jars for Republicans?

What about for those that cling to their guns and their bibles like I do?

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Good thing there's that no politics rule otherwise I might have to answer that..

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

But what’s next? Pink-tinted jars to support breast cancer research? Rainbow-tinted to support LGBTXYZ preppers? Blue jars for Democrats? Red Jars for Republicans? Black jars for ANTIFA? Green jars for tree huggers?

Heck, they could make jars in the shape of Javan's face if they would block UV light AND allow me to see in!

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now there’s an idea.

Econdude, you might be about to discover the types of comments that get threads closed.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't have any use for the colored jars myself. I keep most (I keep a few that I'm smoking out of on a shelf in the living room) of my jars in a dark closet so the only time they really see light is when I'm looking at them. And, I like to look at the tobacco within them and the tinted jars would prevent that.

Black jars for ANTIFA?
    Nah... yellow jars for ANTIFA. Take away their crowd and they're probably just yellow bellied cowards.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  22. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mistake.
    Yellow it is.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I store my jars out of sunlight, but this is a good idea for the jars from which you smoke on a regular basis which may not be out of the reach of a window.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will comment, despite some of the aggravating side opinions going on with you guys who should know better. Yep, I'm shaking my finger at you.

My biggest problem with these colored jars is that they only come in sizes that are too large. I prefer my tobaccos to be stored in 2-3oz increments, so that I don't have a jar of aged tobacco going to crap on me before I can smoke an entire jar.

If the idea here is truly just to aid in aging, then your goal is long-term(10+ years). If you haven't had much experience with aged tobaccos, then you might not be aware that the shelf-life of an aged blend is very short, like a month is being generous. Some will just turn to dust, some will lose all of the essential flavors associated with aged tobaccos, and some just start to taste like crap after being open for a few weeks. Some people seem to never be able to tastes these turns for the worst, and I guess that if being "told" a blend is aged is enough for you... then you might not mind huge jars.

But, after a couple of weeks, I notice that that stewed fruity taste dissipates, and the blends usually taste either about the same as the fresh version, or it just loses taste altogether, or turns to shitdust.

Blah blah blah, what it amounts to for me is that I can smoke the entire jar in regular rotation before it goes south. YMMV

Now, if they made the half-pint and quarter pint in the amber color, I would give it a shot... although, for years the clear jars have been working just fine. But, it seems odd to age a quart sized jar with 8oz of tobacco in it with extra money spent on having it be in a special colored jar... only to have the tobacco lose it's fruity aged essence before you can smoke the whole thing. But, to each their own.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guess those are the ones I need to buy for Rumtopf!

Better yet a pot made of stoneware (topf=pot). Thanks for the reminder! I'll need to get a batch going when fruits are in season for enjoyment next Christmas.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

No one here keeps their jars in direct sunlight, right? So why do you need to protect against UV light? You have been cellaring with clear glass jars for years and years just fine. This is just a smart marketing ploy IMO to sell us something we really don't need.
    And if you do leave your jars out in the sunlight, the dark amber-coloured jars would heat up more than clear jars, cooking your tobacco even more I would think.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 5 months ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, Pipestud (and I am paraphrasing) has posted in the past that he has a client who sometimes supplies aged tobaccos for him (or something like this) that wholeheartedly believes that aging the blends in direct sunlight is beneficial to the process. The idea that sunlight is NOT beneficial is merely assumptions and conjecture.

Direct sunlight can create a rapid darkening of the blends, which is my observation. And, it seems to taste just as great with time in the sunlight. There is a lot that we just don't know about aging blends. This comes up time and time again. Most of what we know is merely someone's ideas that get passed down as facts. For all of these last few decades people have used clear glass jars with no bad consequences. Plus, these colored glass jars were originally produced as novelty jars to mimic some of the vintage jars that crafters wanted for decorative purposes. If you look at these jars there is no UV coatings on them, not like you'd find on a pair of sunglasses. They are merely a light coloring added to the glass. If they are now being marketed as UV protection, it's not very good protection. 99% seems like proverbial smoke being blown up our ass-umptions. Marketing people have a way of twisting truths and such. Even a black cotton shirt doesn't provide 99% UV protection, nor do very many suntan lotions.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was under the assumption that they had these in smaller sizes, too. I may be wrong, I have not seen any of these in the wild. I would definitely be curious where they get the 99% number and what they are using to validate this.

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Four, one quart jars like these run you about $22 or more. If they have smaller sizes in the UV amber, I cannot find them. But, I can get a dozen clear jars for under $10, so if someone is going to start exclusively using these jars, they are dumping buttloads of money out the nose.

...I like using buttload and nose in the same sentence.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that is all there is, then I wouldn't even consider them for tobacco.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Heck, they could make jars in the shape of Javan's face if they would block UV light AND allow me to see in!

Jars in the shape of my face? Hmm, I am open to offers.

Javan
    Posted 5 months ago #
  32. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have set sealed ball jars on the deck for a month in the summer. Heats and sweats every day. It does change the tobacco over time (or seems to anyway).

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Login to Send PM

Well I'm happy to be corrected in the pursuit of knowledge. I freely admit that I'm one of those that has no experience whatsoever in this area. It makes me wonder, though, if sunlight is beneficial to jarred tobacco, at what point in the process would it be considered not beneficial? A lot of factors to consider. You would almost need to conduct controlled experiments to arrive at supported conclusions.

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

I had a Davidoff rep show me the effects of light (fluorescent tube lighting) on cigar wrappers in a walk in humidor. He showed how the wrapper faded on cigars that sat for extended periods exposed to the lights. There were various levels of fading on different types of wrappers as a marked color change from one side of the cigar to the other. This B&M kept its pipe tobacco in glass jars near the windows that got lots of Texas sunshine. I did not smoke a pipe at the time so I cannot speak of how it effected the tobacco.

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed that jars that I've left in my truck windshield on a hot Alabama summer day turns black and sweet. Try it. But, I probably wouldn't try it with an aromatic, but who knows?
    But, it's not my practice with my whole cellar. I keep most in my closet or in a cabinet, but I don't think I would treat it like photography chemicals or anything.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I leave a jar in my truck during a Las Vegas summer the moisture steams the baccy. Not in a good way.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, sablebrush52, hauntedmyst, elasmo, ajohnb, olkofri, ryeguy, ashdigger, chilllucky, ricebiscuit