Amazing PAD - 1939 Parker Super Briar Bark - Unsmoked, New In Box !

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
New Cigars
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I love the old Parker pipes.
Surprisingly they don't come up as frequently as one would think, and often the examples that do enter the market are hard smoked

and well worn - a tribute to how these are great smoking pipes.
I was recently extremely lucky to stumble onto this pristine specimen and I got it for a bargain. It's truly incredible to think that it has just been sitting in a box for 75 years!
Date code 16 = 1939
Sadly, the booklet was not in the box.
It's not exactly one of the supercragged gnarly Parkers that I dig so much,

but I ain't complaining!

:D
JQZlFbr.jpg

ZW9oQcM.jpg

ac9DhHz.jpg

1G0MgtC.jpg

ZvDbNmB.jpg

KUM3TxO.jpg

1M9Asai.jpg

sJ0JxQo.jpg

bgAoQYS.jpg

M26sNaN.jpg

DeL9yxn.jpg

hE3YNid.jpg

yTzQhKK.jpg

zG8O4rm.jpg

R96bpKn.jpg

LXcziSg.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice find, Troy!
A beautiful pipe, mit box, and guarantee! You don't do that well very often on the antique pipe trail, so enjoy it while you can bro.
Now crack open a cutter-top and fire that bad boy up!
-- Pat

May 31, 2012
Thanks everyone!

:)
You don't do that well very often on the antique pipe trail, so enjoy it while you can bro.
Now crack open a cutter-top and fire that bad boy up!
LOL

I wish I had an old cutter top!

:puffy:
This is another case where at an earlier time I bought a piece of ephemera and later on the good stuff arrives,

like a talisman of sorts --- this has happened to me on several occasions.
I had bought this little Parker booklet a while back,

and lo & behold that the rest of the gang found their way to me!
I dunno if it's period correct,

but it's pretty close.
If you wanna look thru the whole booklet,

Steve Laug posted it on his blog,

here:

http://rebornpipes.com/2013/10/26/pleasure-from-your-parker-how-to-get-the-most-from-your-parker-pipe/

:puffy:

9FfF9n5.jpg

Rb1myzw.jpg

cUiQpho.jpg

mvvy6kg.jpg

nfxjDg0.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Very nice Dunhill second. I wasn't aware that parker became it's own brand later rather than dunhill seconds as I own 2 super bruyere's, which are just Parker pipes, not Dunhill seconds like I thought they were until reading the article on them. http://pipedia.org/wiki/Parker
This is what probably made it a second
R96bpKn.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a find! The pipe is older than most of us. Although I might be tempted to try to

auction it at top dollar and use the proceeds to commission a pipe, I think you are right

to go ahead and smoke it. It's time is long overdue. It does bear a definite resemblance

to my Parker cheerywood in the size, finish, and attitude.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Fantastic pipe Troy.

I like the illustration in the Parker book, the guy getting dizzy from his tobacco. If the bowl of his pipe wasn't the same size as his head, that might not be an issue for him !

May 31, 2012
Andrew - I was thinking the same thing.
Oddly the Pipedia entry has a typo, the term should be "fallings", not "failings".

Anyway, the crucial bit is this description, about how most Parkers didn't go thru all the steps that a Dunhill would have and were usually pulled pretty early on in the process, even before oil curing it seems --- it's still a mystery to me though, exactly how both companies were related or worked together.

Most Dunhill "fallings" would have been graded out after the bowl turning process exposed unacceptable flaws. This was prior to stoving, curing, carving, bit work and finishing. In others words, very few Parkers would be subjected to the same rigorous processes and care as pipes destined to become Dunhills. Only those that somehow made it to the end finishing process before becoming "fallings" enjoy significant Dunhill characteristics, and this likely represents very few Parker pipes.
mso489 - I don't think it really has a substantially high value, perhaps $200 tops and that's optimistic, not enough to prod me to sell it after so much active searching, knowing how rare it is to come by something like this.
Ryan - thanks, I'm stoked!

:D

I like the illustration in the Parker book, the guy getting dizzy from his tobacco. If the bowl of his pipe wasn't the same size as his head, that might not be an issue for him !

LOL!

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.