PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
(I apologize ahead of time for the purposely misleading topic)
I have always been grateful that my beautiful GF doesn't harass me for my potentially unhealthy participation in the pipe hobby but she really outdid herself this Christmas.
I recently drove down to Montana to visit her at school over American thanksgiving. One of our favourite things to do is sift through antique shops (we are old souls). In one particularly well-stocked shop in Bozeman I came across a stout little 6 pipe rack in pretty rough shape but didn't think it was worth the purchase...
Long story short, she brought it back, refinished it, and made me a very grateful man!
FX88WGM.jpg

c9y2AUq.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
A. That is indeed a nice rack.
B. That is one of the best subject lines ever considering what was in your post. I don't believe I've clicked on a link in this forum quite so fast before.
C. Hell of a girlfriend to hook you up. She (and the rack) are indeed amazing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks to me like she did a great job refinishing it! Give the girl a button !!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
(I apologize ahead of time for the purposely misleading topic)
You didn't have me fooled, but I'm happy to see it was a piperack as I had expected.
Very nice indeed. Now you'll need to get hold of that Heine's Blend by Sutliff.
Check the reviews at:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1152/sutliff-tobacco-company-heines-blend
Cogratulations!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Too bad that's not a motorboat. :lol:

The day my girlfriend gives me a motorboat is the day I buy a gym membership.
Is there a good b&m near Bozeman?

On Main street in Bozeman there is a news/tobacco shop called Poor Richards. It's certainly a better shop than the B&M I have here in Saskatoon but nothing legendary. I bought my 1970's unsmoked estate Castello Sea Rock Canadian there and they have a couple of pipes from that lot still. From what I gleaned their new pipes are baskets. They've got a fair amount of tobacco from Peterson's and Mclelland; I got the full run of Frog Morton blends which made me quite happy!
Very nice indeed. Now you'll need to get hold of that Heine's Blend by Sutliff.

Well I'm pretty sure I have to pick up a tin of that just to fill the box with!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As for the actual rack, that is a lovely refinish job on a worthy piece of woodworking; that tongue in

groove is most handsome, and the texture and grain on the wood is handsome. I like the ad on the

lid; at first I thought it brought the rack down a notch, but now I like its reference to an earlier time.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
She did a hell of a job refurbishing the rack. I'd love to see a before picture for comparison. That rack (and your girl) is a real winner.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Of course had to click with that title. Well done. and welcome to the forum drezz.
Yes I agree great resto work on that piece! I'd hold onto her. That stand looks like mahogany. Very nice.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Thank you all and I agree with those who've said she's a keeper - I am quite fond of her and it was an amazing gift!
Yes I agree great resto work on that piece! I'd hold onto her. That stand looks like mahogany. Very nice.

I'm fairly sure it is mahogany with a cedar lining - it seems to only fit straight pipes but luckily that is my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.