PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I am a fairly new pipe smoker. I started a year ago and have only ever had one pipe at a time. The first was an ancient Dr. Grabow Lark that came to me on its last legs and finally gave up a few months back. After the Lark died, my girlfriend gifted me with an awesome Lorenzo Eleganza Sigma estate which I love dearly. For a rather long time, that was my only pipe.
I have been given a wonderful gift from Dave of Shaintiques. He was offering a few cleaned up pipes and some tins of tobacco to new smokers and I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients.
The package shipped incredibly fast. Dave sent it on Wednesday and it arrive only two days later.
Upon opening the box I was ecstatic. I was under the impression that I would be receiving a pipe and 2-4 tins of tobacco. Well Dave went above and beyond the line of duty.

I received not only and awesome little straight bulldog pipe, but EIGHT tins of Sultiff tobacco! I was truly amazed and am incredibly grateful.
I love the pipe smoking community. It is gestures like this that remind me that there is a lot of good in this world and I am truly lucky to be a part of this family. Someday I will pass the favor on and keep the spirit of generosity alive.
Thank you again Dave!
-Ruger
EPGpaOH.jpg

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That's just awesome. You have some really great tobaccos there, as well a nice briar. Kudos, Dave and congrats, Ruger.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I couldn't contain myself and I busted into the Molto Dolce minutes after open the box. The tobacco was rather moist so I let it dry for about an hour and then packed a bowl and sat back on the balcony. The room note was really nice and it tasted pretty damn good. I'll have to let my girlfriend smell it, she isn't a fan of the smell of English smoke, but maybe this will change her outlook on the hobby. The only issue was that even after drying for an hour it still sizzled in the bowl. I'll have to dry it more I guess.
An hour later I went in for the Kentucky Plantation. It was the first burley that I've tried and I really enjoyed it. The tin note was sublime: rich and a hint of fruitiness. It smoked great and left a nice taste in the mouth. Tonight I think I'll try one of the Latakia blends and see how I like it. Maybe the Balkan Luxury Blend 957.
Also the pipe smokes great! Its perfect for clenching as I read or type. I took it for a short walk today and I was absolutely perfect for a 20 minute smoke!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The molto will never stop sizzling or dry out for that matter. It just is what it is. And to be honest it's goopy sweetness is what makes it so good. It is a great intro tobacco for the pipe smoker looking for a sweet smoke, but as you progress you will find flakes that are just as sweet naturally and without the sizzle. That being said I do like a bowl of Molto on occasion. Glad you are enjoying the pipe and tobacco!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ruger:
Our Dave, Shaintiques, is one of many class acts on this forum.
This little hangout brings out the best in people. Most of us have received encouraging words, generous tobacco samples and the occasional burner from thoughtful and kindhearted cyber-friends, mentors and rabbis.
The good guys eventually pay it forward - maybe not publicly - but one of these days you'll grubstake an FNG to a burner and a pouch of tobacco to bring him/her into the fold and the circle will connect itself.
I'm truly happy for the both of you.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.