Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo sha
Well, duh ;)
Thanks for picking up on that. My search skills were deficient and I looked in the Pipe Events subforum.
BTW - I'm picking up BobI tomorrow for the events. He had lost my contact info from a coupla years ago.
See you there.
hp

les

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We enjoyed a jam packed smoked room that started early and went late. I saw some incredible wood being traded, sold and some for just show and tell. It was a lot of fun to be continued tonight. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I updated this title to a show report, since it was already started.
A long day for me, but well worth the effort. I left Maryland at 5:45 am, stopping in PA to pick up a buddy (Dave Jacobsen). We got to the show just after 10 Am. I saw lots of familiar faces. Some new ones as well, I not previously met Daveinlax (and I learned that "lax" isn't for LA International but for lacrosse!) We hung out until about 1 PM, then made our way over to JR Cigars in Whippany. We were some of the first to arrive there and it was packed. I think a lot of the show folks didn't get there until 4 Pm or so. I made it back to Maryland by 7 PM, in time for a family event.
The show had a very good slate of tables and spectators.
Pictures here:

image hosting 30 mb
While there were plenty of great pipes to choose from, I thought the odds of finding something I needed/wanted were low. But to my amazement, a Baltimore area guy had this 1930's era GBD 9242 on his table, at a very reasonable price. I felt like I had won the lottery and will do some minor tune-up work to it tomorrow, with a full report to follow.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Al, nice pics, but I wish you'd ID these people. Most of us don't know who they are.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Jinx
Here are some of the folks I know in the pix:

1) Sam Barnett - co-organizer of this long running (24 yrs) pipe show

2 &3) Al (ssjones) in the brown sweatshirt and black beret. #3 also has Dave Jacobsen

4) Pipemaker and Morley's member Tim Thorpe (guess the Tim Thorpe tee could be a clue); also Nathan Davis (crashthegrey)

6) Co-organizer Rich Esserman with one of his trademark giant magnums

7) Al again with Dave Peterson (daveinlax), Castello 55 collector, who flew from Wisconsin with his wife as part of an NYC holiday

8) Joyce Beck, Lane Co. regional manager, with the Dunhill and Lane tins and bulks

10) Al with shaintiques (who flew up from Atlanta), moi and Dave's good friend Robert

11) Pennsylvania pipemaker Clark Layton

14) Morley's members Hank Lawrence, Bill Bell and Dave Jacobsen, with Al half out of the frame
We all had an excellent time. Thanks for the pix, Al!
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo woo
Joyce's company interpreted the show entry fee as constituting non-freeness for the tobacco samples. Steve Monjeur took a different approach, charging 10 cent for a bowl of his bowlfuls from the Solani and Brebbia tins. Yum!
hp

les

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I didn't take any pics at the show this year, but took this shot of the humidor at J.R.'s. It is an awesome sight. Picked up a couple LFD Double Ligeros.

Here is a pic of me and my buddy Robert smoking at the after get together at J.R.'s.

I did buy some pipes. There was this $5 pipe box. Picked up 5 Kaywoodies and some other odds and ends. One of the Kaywoodies was unsmoked and probably a pre-1960 pipe. Also got a tin of Tuskegee Airmen aged 6 years for $9. Here is a pic of the pipes.

It was great seeing Al, and Les, chatting with Csharp and a few of the other guys from here. Condorlover was my host and we had a lot of fun hanging out all weekend and then attending the show.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
@Dan I was talking with Simon and mentioned that I thought it was hard on you guys that the FDA might have reduced your marketing plan to "Hey want to sniff my can"

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the names Les, nailed it!
Joyce told me "look,someone must have left this tobacco, guess they didn't want it, do you want it?"
....kidding, she just asked what samples I wanted. She was surprised to learn that Brian Levine had left Sutliff/McBaren and wondered if anyone took his place (she asked where he was).

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
He is at Speccom that does tobacco trade publications and a retail magazine we all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.