PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I've smoked this blend on and off for a bit. When I first opened the pouch, I was a tad dismayed because it looked to me that it was too dry to be any good. However, transferring it to a jam jar and smoking more in better conditions has changed that perception, and I'd say it's just about perfect for what it is.
My experience with Burley is a bit limited, but time spent with the wonderful codger blends like Prince Albert(first and favorite burley so far), Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh has prepared me quite well. The pouch and jar note is simple; mildly sweet tobacco, lightly earthy and a little nutty like the bottom of a tin of mixed nuts.
So far, this blend has smoked best for me in my MM Shire Cobbit, perhaps due to a bit of ghosting and also the long stem cooling the smoke and countering my anxious puffing habits. The false light and first 3rd of the bowl is a familiar mild and lightly sweet taste, what I've come to know as what good plain tobacco tastes like. On occasion there's a bit of toasty, earthy flavor, particularly as I make my way through the second 3rd of the bowl. The room note, or rather the truck note, is much the same as the pouch/jar note, a mildly sweet and smokey smell that won't offend unless I run into a particularly type of person that is easily booty bothered.
The last 3rd of the bowl presents a bit of savory flavor as more of the tobacco turns into ash, which I think lends to a more toasted bread taste. This tobacco would probably be good for me to introduce to someone who wants to try something other than cigarettes as it's uncomplicated and familiar. Simple as it is, it doesn't need to be layered with subtle complexities or come right out and punch you in the face with flavor. The most it requires is the patience to slow down and puff gently. This is one I would take with me on a fishing trip or enjoy during any activity that requires no fastidious attention to properly enjoy.
Not a blend for a special celebration or to be used to impress anyone or keep others happy like an aromatic. It's a good, simple smoke that would pair nicely with an inexpensive beer or whiskey to complete the nightly attempt to wind down without thinking too much about it. All in all, a good plain tobacco blend that's certainly worth your time.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Sounds like a nice all day sort of smoke.
Thanks, yuda.
jay-roger.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yuda great review. I feel like I get the gist of what this blend is about. And much more importantly if I should try it or not. The answer being not unless on a fishing trip. Basically that's what I look for in reviews so in my opinion great review.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MM knows what it's doing. Burley tastes fine in a cob. I find most burley blends delicious, so I'd probably go for this blend. A member sent me a sample of Amphora Burley, and I took to it right away, a fine example of the leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.