Am I the only one who finds this slightly annoying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
This post will surely make me sound like a wuss...
I have never been a smoker and really don't consider myself to be one now. I enjoy the peacefulness and relaxation that comes with puffing on a pipe that is filled with a good tobacco. I typically take part in this ritual 3-4 times a week (so as not to become addicted to it). I ALWAYS smoke outside, regardless of the weather or temperature.
I recently received an online order for several 1 oz bulk tobacco samples and some pipe cleaners. I was really looking forward to this package. When it arrived, as soon as I opened the mailbox, I was hit with a very strong, very nasty stale cigar scent....so of course, I knew my package was in there. Apparently, whoever packed my order was enjoying a stogie.
When I opened the box, the contents absolutely reeked. If I were to make a comparison, I would liken it to the odor you'd have if you cleaned fifty nasty pipes, put all the pipe cleaners and q-tips in a jar, and then sniffed the contents.
My entire study smells like camel dung now. I switched out the tobaccos to new zip locks, and put them in a sealed jar, but the pipe cleaners are now like incense sticks. So, even with a balsam candle burning, my room smells like crap.
I haven't sampled the tobaccos yet, but I sure hope the flavor isn't tainted with this nasty skunk weed cigar.
I know....suck it up, or quit smoking a pipe. :roll:

hammerhorror

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Weird, my tobacco orders haven't had this problem. Maybe the packer accidentally left the old stogie butt in there as a present? ;)

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Being an cigar smoker...I don't see how what you're describing is possible. Short of actually leaving a smoldering cigar in the box and letting it go out.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I would be ticked off to receive such a bonus with my order. I place my tobacco orders with four different vendors and have never had that problem occur. You might call customer service of the vendor in question and lodge a complaint. They should advise their fulfillment people to be more careful in the future.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
What tobacco samples did you order?that could be what smells,I can't imagaine a order filler smoking a cigar while packing your order.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Being an cigar smoker...I don't see how what you're describing is possible. Short of actually leaving a smoldering cigar in the box and letting it go out.

I an only assuming it is a cigar odor. It literally smells like my description....nasty pipe cleaners and q tips after a good cleaning x 50. The only thing in the box, aside from the products I ordered, was a small brochure. No butts, no dirty cleaners, no cat turds.
I sent their customer service folks a heads up. I'm really hoping these samples aren't tainted. I researched this site for some good samples, and ordered the ones which had received the highest marks from the members here. I sure want to get an accurate sense of the tobacco when I smoke it.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
What tobacco samples did you order? that could be what smells, I can't imagine a order filler smoking a cigar while packing your order.

Wow...if that's the case, I'll really feel like a dumb ass. :oops: I will say that when opened, none of the bags smell like the outside.
Anniversary Cake

Yule Log

Louisiana Red

Scotty's English Stout
The stout is the strongest, but nothing like the odor I've described.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
:rofl: if it stinks then it"s for me LOve the smell :puffy:

I love pipe blends with cagar leaf in it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
When I open packages sent from the major tobacco retailers, I often smell the odor of tobacco and never have minded before. Of course, I can't speak of the strength of the smell you experienced.
I often read that several of the tobacco sellers allow smoking in their places, so maybe the carton has been sitting in a particularly 'bad' area?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like you, I always smoke outdoors. I don't want the stale tobacco smell getting into everything. So when I get just a whiff from one of my packets of tobacco, I really notice the fragrance.

Now a stale cigar stench is something else altogether, and having been a smoker of cigars for years, I'm familiar with it.

It's entirely possible that people in the shipping room like to enjoy a pipe or ten, or a cigar or ten, while packing, and if there is any shipping stock in the room it will over time get saturated from the smoke. I haven't experienced this problem and everything that I've had shipped to me has been in fresh boxes.

If I received a powerful blast of someone's bad choice in tobacco I'd be more than a bit put off. That your pipe cleaners all stink leaves me wondering if their shipping staff is enjoying the product just a bit too much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. This is an interesting puzzle. I assume you've examined the contents of the box and determined

it was none of the pipe tobaccos causing the strong unpleasant cigar odor. We all know some pipe tobaccos

contain cigar leaf, but this is the smell of smoked cigars, and not cigars with a good room note, apparently

really nasty cigars. (Note, I didn't say inexpensive cigars, since some of them have acceptable room note.)

My only scenario to explain this problem is that someone in the shipping department had been smoking

up a storm with potent cigars that gave off this odor, and this box didn't just pass briefly by the cigar smoker,

but stayed with him for hours or days while he puffed away. It must be the box, since it isn't the contents.

I'm afraid this is the way our man-caves, studies, or even outdoor smoking stations smell to non-smokers,

to a point. Obviously, this is some kind of skunk tobacco that permeates and persists, but to a non-smoker,

all tobacco has a nasty residual scent, alas. Puff-puff.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My guess is that the packaging or the bagged samples absorbed the odor of a lot of cigar smoke. For those who go into cigar shops,you probably know the ones that don't have proper ventilation by the clinging stale smell on your clothes. I notice it "clings" to the tins I buy from some local shops. Leave the sample packs outside for a day, or throw away the packaging.
Mike S.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm not sure what the problem was.It's never happened to me...Just one comment on the post..I'm not sure of the exact definition of the term addicted.I've enjoy smoking a pipe for a lot of years.It's not something that I have to do though.If I really am addicted to something It would be coffee,and maybe cookies.You probably shouldn't worry about becoming addicted to pipe smoking.Just enjoy it.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I have never experienced this when opening a delivery of pipe tobacco, but I would find it very annoying - especially since I love the smell of the tobaccos I order.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I have never experienced this when opening a delivery of pipe tobacco, but I would find it very annoying - especially since I love the smell of the tobaccos I order. On the other hand, if that is your bike in your profile pic, I don't think you need to worry about being called a wuss!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Good grief!
It's more than slightly annoying, and perhaps if you let the shipper no, he might take care of it for you.
This is what happens when you use the "dictate" function and think there's no need to proofread. :oops:

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You had to have gotten that order from us, and I can guarantee you that absolutelyno smoking is allowed in the warehouse and shipping area. Smoking is only allowed in a select few office areas for sampling products. I apologize for the problem, but I can't imagine how it could happen.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.