Am I the Only One Who Does Not Watch Football?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
By this I mean American Football. I fo not understand America's fascination with football. If I am going to watch something I prefer to watch it not watch commercials. All night at work everyone talks about fantasy football. I for one am waiting for the season to end. Just wondering if anyone out there feels the same?

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Yeah same for me as well. Luckily in Japan I don't hear about football at all! It's great!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Not me. My fiance has season tickets to the Seahawks. We are 12's. We are powerful. When we have an away game, I watch a fair amount of football. And then there is the college football. Then there is Major League Soccer (futbol).
Lots of foot(fut)ball to watch!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Football is something I just don't miss about the UK. I fail to understand why someone should be paid $200,000 a week to kick a ball around. To make matters even worse we have god knows how many football teams knocking around the UK. I have always felt we just need one national team and that is all that is necessary as it would generally reduce the yobbish behavior from supporters of this game.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I played football in high school and enjoy watching the occasional game, especially Sunday night games. I also like watching the occasional hockey game, I really love the outdoor games like on New Years Day, and I wish the NHL would schedule many more!

Aug 14, 2012
I have never made it through a football game. To me it is as interesting as playing catch with a dog. In high school I refused to play the game when asked. Our school had an undefeated team in the Jr Ivy League. I also refused to go to a game. I was generally considered strange because of it. At the risk of arousing anger here, I will add that I think all sports should be banned in high school and college. They are a perversion of education. And football is far too dangerous to play without a big salary.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I am not a football fan I think they are over paid and a bunch of criminals on steroids ( just my humble opinion )

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
For those of us that have attended a SEC University, it's not a game but a religion :wink:

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
For those of us that have attended a SEC University, it's not a game but a religion :wink:

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I grew up a huge football fan and used to keep the TV tuned in on Saturdays and Sundays to football for most of the day, even if just for background noise to whatever I was doing around the house. All of this changed, however, in 2010 when I canceled my television/cable service. I came to the realization that half of what is on the boob tube these days is unedifying junk and I really didn't want my children growing up in front of a television set. So needless to say I haven't seen a football game (or any other game for that matter) going on 4 years now. Sure there is such a thing as moderation I suppose and that a game or two on the weekend is okay, but we just went all in and turned off everything. My TV sits in the corner as the largest paperweight in Virginia and only occasionally is used when we pop in a movie for the kids.
This is taking the conversation off topic, but I'm also the guy that refuses to get a smart phone and makes every effort to reduce the exposure my children have to tech distractions in the house (perhaps ironic as I sit behind my computer typing this). Technology has its benefits for sure, but I am concerned we are increasingly becoming a nation of zombies glued to our TVs, phones, facebook, twitter, etc all the while our real relationships with those who matter most die on the vine. Just my 2 cents.
Go Broncos!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I liked to play certain sports when I was younger, but I never watched it on TV.
Football, beer, and above all, gambling, filled up the horizon of their minds.

To keep them in control was not difficult.

George Orwell

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
In 1990, my wife (finance then) and I went to every JV home football game at the high school near our college. We needed to do an anthropology project to avoid re-taking the class. It was a cheap date and furthered our career goals.
About three years ago, C&D offered a tin of tobacco in a contest about the Superbowl. I watched the first quarter and won.
That is the extent of my football since high school.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I love baseball, football, and hockey. I hate the freaking commercials! In fact its taken my enjoyment out of watching it on TV. Live events is the way to go.
When I moved from Chicago to Denver I couldn't understand the brainwashing that is the Denver Broncos. That's all they want to talk about here. When the Rockies were in the World Series the news still started about the Broncos. Pathetic! I now try to elicit responses, almost in a few fights, whenever we are shopping. There will be a Broncos display and I make a loud comment such as "Look they have Bears shirts." In reference to the navy blue base colors with the orange accents. Sorry original Broncos were orange with blue accents

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Yes, yes, and yes again. Football, betting, beer, bourbon, wine, pizza, wings, and friends. Everyone's invited!!!!!

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
Still enjoy watching a game every now and again, but really enjoy watching our local div. 3 college team. Go to a couple of home games every fall..

Status
Not open for further replies.