Tags:  No tags yet. 

Am I smoking to much?

(67 posts)
  • Started 6 days ago by smokingwizard
  • Latest reply from docrameous
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokingwizard

Login to Send PM

I have 3 years smoking pipes, but I still consider myself as a new guy to the hobby. So here is my new guy question: is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to much? I want to hear from you guys about it and how many times you smoke a day. Thanks

Posted 6 days ago #
  2. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to much?

Only if you think it is.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 6 days ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a bowl a day, with some days off, and sometimes I smoke several bowls on a weekend day. Moderation is good, for me. Our star reviewer and high scoring poster jiminks must smoke about twenty bowls a day. It depends on you. I find I get more taste from each bowl with fewer bowls, and my consumption fits my available time and smoking style. Weigh your own assessment of health risks, your own habits, and your own tastes. If smoking that much worries you, taper down a little and see how that works. If you are enjoying the amount you smoke, maybe that's where you want to be.

Posted 6 days ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to(o) much?

No, it is not. Unless, of course, you think it is. Then yes. How many bowls I or, any others smoke in a day shouldn't be a consideration. Unless you are simply curious in a nosy, intrusive kind of way. The pipe is all about your satisfaction!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  5. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two to too.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 6 days ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was smoking 12+ bowls a day, till this summer. Then I tried to back off to six a day, but I kept getting bigger and bigger pipes. I am at six a day now, and it is tough. I have been throwing in a few cigars a day as well, but... ultimately, I have got to get my nicotine rage under control. I can go weeks without my pipe with no weirdnesses, but when I have had my first pipe of the day, going any length of time without a pipe in my clench feel weird, like not wearing my pants or not having hair or a beard.

Michael
    Posted 6 days ago #
  7. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a 1 or 2 a day guy, with some days off a week. But it doesnt matter, Mine is mostly based on time and availability to do it. I used to be at 8 to 10 a day. Never thought it was too much. A pipe lasts me almost an hour on average, so 2 fits right about into my schedule. All up to you, as long as it doesnt get in the way and isnt causing any health or social issues, its fine as far as I see it.

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 6 days ago #
  8. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to limit to 1 a day...

Posted 6 days ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jojoc

Login to Send PM

Posted 6 days ago #
  10. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Once a week. Sometimes twice. I'm one of those paranoid about cancer guys.

Yes, I know, no significant risk, live longer than non-smokers, etc. etc.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 6 days ago #
  11. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm down to 1-2 bowls a week from 4-5 a week. Am I smoking too little? I don't think so. My cellar will last longer.

Seriously, I cut back because it's just too hot. I'm just not in the mood with the heat and humidity. Also, I never smoke inside the house and my smoking porch/room doesn't have AC.

Posted 6 days ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Too much' is subjective. I will say that, based on what I know about forum members here, you're well on the high side for consumption, even among people who like pipe smoking so much they spend hours of their lives talking about it online. Take that for what you will.

Personally, I smoke about 3-4 bowls a week when the weather is good, and less in late summer (I think I've had three bowls total in the last 30 days).

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 6 days ago #
  13. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two to five per day is my usual range. Only you can decide what fits your needs.

Some days, I can tell after a smoke that it's time to quit for the day. Other days, I hop care free from one pipe to the next.

Listen to your mind and body. MTFBWY.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 6 days ago #
  14. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to(o) much?

Yes. Smoking anything at all is too much. It's lavish. It's just for fun. Do what you will. Is it impressive? Not to some guys around here. Frankly, I'm impressed how you have the time. You must have a uniquely preferable smoking situation at your convenience. Maybe I'm just cranky about the summer heat. This isn't a question anybody else can answer for you.

Posted 6 days ago #
  15. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3-to 4 medium-sized bowls per day + occasional cigar or some cigarettes in between the bowls, sometimes ,on rare occasion chewing tobacco would do nicely

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 6 days ago #
  16. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Used to be one bowl per day but now I am down to 2 bowls per week. Keeping the tobacco from overheating really enhances the sweet flavor of tobacco. I guess I am just really starting to understand the real joy of delayed gratifications

Pierre
    Posted 6 days ago #
  17. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, as usual, states the obvious..."The pipe is all about your satisfaction!"

Posted 6 days ago #
  18. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to much?

As others have said, that's entirely up to you. But it does also depend on how large your tobacco budget is. If you want to keep up that pace (especially if when tobacco becomes hard to obtain unavailable) you're going to need a huge cellar.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 days ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

nunnster

Login to Send PM

I've never been one to tell someone else how to live their life, the individual knows best how to live it. But, I'll echo to add what others have said, it's only too much if you feel like it's too much. But that being said, if I put on my psychology hat, the fact that you are asking if it's to much means that you have questioning doubts and think you might be over doing it. If that is the case then there is no harm in cutting back by a few bowls. For me, personally when/if on the rare occasion I hit 6-7 bowls in a day, I feel like I over did it. But then again, my bowls tend to last 1-1 and a half hours so if I'm hitting 7 bowls a day that means from the time I woke up till the time I fall asleep I have a pipe in my mouth. Which there isnt anything wrong with, but my mouth will let me know I should have stopped a few bowls ealier. If, you are asking for a medical opinion, you are well past heavy smoker territory, and the risks associated with smoking greatly increase once you pass the 2-3 bowls a day threshold. But, to each his own.

Posted 6 days ago #
  20. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two to too.

I too wished to smoke more than my usual two bowls a day.

So now I smoke two to three.

Posted 6 days ago #
  21. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I smoke about once a week. My wife doesn’t like that I smoke at all and chewing tobacco is easier to use at work. So I usually only smoke on a weekend, when I want to relax. That seems like a lot, but if you are addicted to nicotine and this is the only way you consume it, that sounds about normal. I go through a can and half a day of dip.

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 6 days ago #
  22. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

If you want to cut down I'll share my experience. I had difficulty cutting down from a bowl per day after my kid was born, but wanted to try and minimize any health risk to me or exposure for her. I tried gum, it sucked. patches are worthless. So I started using Swedish snus after reading some studies on it's health impacts, or relative lack thereof. That led me to a product made by the same Swedish manufacturer, which is Zyn or Dryft tobacco free nicotine pouches. They are nothing but tobacco-derived nicotine salt and food grade gum ingredients, but go in your lip like a regular pouch. I go through about two cans a week of them (30-40 pouches total) which runs about $5 per can. They come in 3mg and 6mg (Zyn) or 2mg and 7mg (Dryft). They are much more satisfying to me than gum, and sustain me through the weekdays until I finally have my one weekly bowl, which I am now fine enjoying as a weekend treat. It sure makes my cellar last alot longer. I went from having 5 years worth to 35 years worth overnight.

I also chew the occasional clump of Gawith Rope or General Snus, and/or allow myself a bowl per day when on vacation, or on special occasions. (Hunting, Fishing, Holidays, etc.)

Whether or not you smoke too much is obviously up to you, but I figured I'd share my experience FWIW. Still hoping to cut out the nicotine pouches completely at some point, but baby steps, as they say. Down to alternating between 2 and 3mg ones at this point. Aside from vaping (which I did for about a year before quitting), they are the only thing that has worked for me as far as cutting down on smoking is concerned.

Nicotine has been an up and down cycle for me since I was 16. A constant love/hate battle. Why the powers that be had to make everything that feels good in this world terrible for you I'll never know

Posted 6 days ago #
  23. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

... everything is relative. I don't think 8 a day is too much, but 12? That's a hecka day of smoking pipes. At least, to me it is.

Posted 6 days ago #
  24. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At what point is pipe smoking a health risk? I don't know. I smoke a bowl a day. 8 to 12 bowls per day? It's possible you're smoking most of you waking hours?

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 6 days ago #
  25. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this a trick question?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 days ago #
  26. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too much for what? If you can afford it and it isn't causing noticeable health issues, I suppose you're fine. Why do you ask? Are you really enjoying it? I smoke 5 or 6 bowls per day most days. I don't think my mouth and tongue could handle 8 to 12.

Posted 6 days ago #
  27. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

I guess I don't really think about it, if I'm honest. When circumstances permit, I pretty much smoke as much as I feel like, and most days that's a lot. For whatever reasons, though, I seem to be just naturally tapering down, which is great news for my cellar, if nothing else.

Posted 6 days ago #
  28. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Number of bowls, of course, is dependent on size of bowls. But there a lot of light weights in this thread. I smoke 6-8 smaller bowls in the morning, 4-6 at noon in a larger bowl, and 4 bowls in the evening in my largest pipes, with some days having a fourth smoking session mid-afternoon.

Posted 6 days ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokingwizard

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your input. Much to think about & consider.

Posted 6 days ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokingwizard

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your input. Much to think about & consider.

Posted 6 days ago #
  31. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two to too.

I too wished to smoke more than my usual two bowls a day.

So now I smoke two to three.

Ha! I think you got it. My original "Two to too" refers to the fact the the OP used "to" twice, once in the title and once in the body. It was an incorrect spelling and should have been "too". Moreover "to" was used twice. So "two to too".
    Having explained my word play I've ruined it. Ah well.

Posted 5 days ago #
  32. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha! I think you got it. My original "Two to too" refers to the fact the the OP used "to" twice, once in the title and once in the body. It was an incorrect spelling and should have been "too". Moreover "to" was used twice. So "two to too".
    Having explained my word play I've ruined it. Ah well.

Too much the or two much the? Double the.

Posted 5 days ago #
  33. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess it's the quality of the experience I would take into consideration.
    I smoke several bowls in a day. I have times when a pipe burns more effectively what I've packed and I'm not chuffing it like a madman and the flavors are delicious.
    Most are tasty and contemplative.
    I smoke a mix of D&R: 3 Sails/TwoTimer/Picayune, pretty much all the time.
    I do feel as though my nicotine desires are my primary motive. (the first month or so that I smoked a drug store MM cob, I inhaled.)

Posted 5 days ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

downsouth

Login to Send PM

Being in the horse breeding business all my life, it's hard to collect semen from a stallion while smoking a pipe (amongst other chores), which is usually done during the morning/early afternoons. So, even though I'm retired now, I only smoke in the late afternoon/evening time because of that...I usually smoke 3 to 4 bowls during that time.

Posted 5 days ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, I never thought of the horse breeding business as taking up so much of the day. My wife would be ecstatic if I spent that much time breeding her.

Posted 5 days ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

downsouth

Login to Send PM

Wow, I never thought of the horse breeding business as taking up so much of the day.

You'd be amazed. If it wasn't the standard chores of haying the fields, cleaning stalls, feeding, collecting semen, etc., with nearly 40 mares on the farm and 7 stallions (depending on when you took count), you either had foal watch (which is staying up all night waiting for a mare to foal), or waking up in the middle of the night because a couple of stallions broke out and were trying to kill each other. Fortunately I had a great ranch hand to help out...he and his wife still live on the farm in fact.

Posted 5 days ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokingwizard

Login to Send PM

Ashdigger said: [quote]is this a trick question [/quote)
    Not a trick question. But if it was, what would your answer be? Lol :nana
    I’m still learning how to use this forum.......could take years lol

Posted 5 days ago #
  38. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you are smoking way too much. Since you're a fellow forum member, I would be willing to accept half of your tobacco cellar so that you will be less tempted to smoke so may pipes each day

Posted 5 days ago #
  39. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it's hard to collect semen from a stallion while smoking a pipe

I'm quite certain that sentence has never been uttered here before.

And I suspect it's never before been said anywhere by anyone.

Posted 5 days ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

smokingwizard

Login to Send PM

Hay lawdawg, now that’s taking advantage of an old man. But I will gladly trade you some of my baccy for some of your pipes lol

Posted 5 days ago #
  41. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I don't know. I bet there's more than a few glazed corn cobs in America's farming history. You don't hear it every day, that's for sure.

Posted 5 days ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet there's more than a few glazed corn cobs in America's farming history.

I'm not even going to speculate on any of the various possible interpretations of that sentence.

Posted 5 days ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

szconrad

Login to Send PM

I wish I could smoke 8-12 bowls a day! My tongue tends to slow me down. I get tongue bite quite easily, so I can usually smoke 2 bowls a day. Like most folks are saying here, it's up to you what is "too much." As long as you are enjoying it, then that's just fine!

Posted 5 days ago #
  44. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke a couple of bowls in the evening after work. Weekends 3 to 4 per day depending on what I’m doing and how much time I have.

Posted 5 days ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glazed concobs. Interesting insertion to the conversation. I missed the transition.

Weren't cobs used in the outhouse, before Sears and Ward's catalogs became available??

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 days ago #
  46. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weren't cobs used in the outhouse, before Sears and Ward's catalogs became available??

Still are, in certain portions of Appalachia.

Posted 4 days ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

downsouth

Login to Send PM

You obviously haven't been around livestock much...that phrase is used daily among everyone that is...how do you think cows get bred, by live cover? LOL

When you're breeding a half million dollar stallion to a quarter million dollar mare, the last thing you want is for either of them to get injured. Livestock breeders pretty much only use AI for breeding these days, hardly anyone still uses live cover.

Posted 4 days ago #
  48. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I've mentioned before I know a guy that smoked 1 lb. of 1Q every 7 days. Well he is now smoking 2 lbs. every 10 days. I won't go into what his pipes look like.

Posted 4 days ago #
  49. frankrem

frankrem

Login to Send PM

My volume depends on the family at the time. If my kids are away I may do 3-4 bowls in a day. If I go to the local cigar shop/ bar - I may do 3-4 there as well. I typically try and smoke a bowl before work in the morning. My equivalent to a good cup of coffee. However, I won't typically smoke a pipe in the afternoons during the week. So I vary from 3-6 in a given week. Most was probably about 9-10ish.

It's all up to you and what you enjoy. As long as your not bent over puking in a ditch I reckon you have one more in ya for the day

Posted 4 days ago #
  50. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually smoke 4-5 pipes a day and feel like that is plenty for me. Most of my bowls last `1.5-2.0 hours and I feel like I am smoking all the time I am awake. I would have to speed smoke to get 8-12 pipes in a day.

If you are enjoying your 8-12 that is all that matters. Keep smoking and take no prisoners.

Harris
    Posted 4 days ago #
  51. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You obviously haven't been around livestock much...that phrase is used daily among everyone that is

LOL ... Yes, it's true, I haven't been around livestock much. But it's the added part in the sentence about the difficulty with smoking a pipe at the same time that makes me think it's perhaps not been said before.

But then maybe that's where most of the few remaining pipe smokers are these days...tending livestock.

Posted 4 days ago #
  52. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

I think it all depends on your heath, I would love to smoke in the week as well as at the weekend but my health situation just won't allow it at the moment.
    I try and look on it as a very long case of delayed gratification, one things for sure and that's the first bowl on a Friday is extra special.

Chris

Posted 4 days ago #
  53. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay! I gotta ask, "How does your health situation yo-yo and allow smoking on weekends but, not during the rest of the week?"

I realize the question is impertinent but, my curiosity overrides my manners. I've never heard of such a situation.

Posted 4 days ago #
  54. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Okay! I gotta ask, "How does your health situation yo-yo and allow smoking on weekends but, not during the rest of the week?"

I don't mind answering mate, I have a few ailments but the main one is arthritis which restricts my movements and exercising is made more difficult as a result (although I am trying to change that), when I was at my worst (cardio wise) and weight wise (I was 6 stone over at one point) I would get out of breath just walking up the stairs and only left the house maybe once every couple of weeks so it didn't seem wise to add excessive (for me) smoking on top of everything.

I have lost weight in the last year or so (about 3 stone) and am now doing physiotherapy and some mild (and believe me it's pretty weak sauce) exercise but I have noticed a marked improvement and to be honest I wouldn't want to negate any of the small gains I've made by smoking more in the week.

On top of that I also have bad acid refux (they're doing a camera down my throat next month to see if they can get to the bottom of it as the PPI's are no longer making any difference) and the GP said that smoking can aggravate and exacerbate the problem so that was another reason to keep pipe smoking to just the weekends.

So basically the answer is my health doesn't yo-yo and if I was being sensible I wouldn't smoke at all but unfortunately common sense was never one of my strong suits. I no longer drink alcohol so smoking a pipe is my one small vice, it may not seem like much but I really look forward and enjoy immensely having a few bowls at the weekend (normally between 3-7), so that's pretty much the long and short of it really, I shouldn't smoke at all but as Oscar Wilde said 'I can resist everything except temptation'.

Chris

Posted 4 days ago #
  55. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Posted 4 days ago #
  56. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I have similar issues. Reflux, weight (lost 108lbs at one point, but have gained 60 back), as well as a pretty hard case of benign fasciculation syndrome (we hope), which sucks ass, and produces similar exercise intolerance.

Part of why I try to keep my smoking to once a week as well.

I ended up having a Schatzky B ring that they busted up during my endoscopy and esophagus dilation. Helped immensely but was temporary. Back on the PPI's now, but they seem to be working even when taken intermittently.

Best of luck with all that. A pipe a week can't hurt too much

Posted 4 days ago #
  57. groovediggerdan

groovediggerdan

Login to Send PM

How many bowls do I smoke a day?

Oh Three Or Four

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
    Posted 4 days ago #
  58. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

No problem mate.

lost 108lbs at one point, but have gained 60 back

Yeah it's not easy getting the weight off but I'm guessing maintaining that weight loss is even more difficult as you don't have the same impetus as when you're actually loosing the weight. You see it with a lot of people on that show 'The Biggest Looser' and 'Slimming Club' champions etc. They loose a ton of weight but within a few years or so many of them put most of it back on, it's definitely not easy.

As for the PPI's I'm glad they're working for you mate because when they do they're like a magic bullet (well they were for me anyway). Sadly they just suddenly stopped working, I've tried the main 3 ones at some point or another but sadly now none of them make bugger all difference.

I just hope when they do the camera they can see what the problem is and hopefully I can get on the waiting list (NHS so it may be a bit of a wait who knows) but at least there'd be some light at the end of the tunnel, fingers crossed I suppose.

Chris

Posted 4 days ago #
  59. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I lost it for a girl that I never got with, hahaha. But then I met my current wife so it paid off. Keeping it off is certainly tough, it's easy to get complacent. I've put back on about 10 lbs a year since then, but finally got it to at least plateau.

Having a 3 month old daughter has not helped. Most of my meals these days are whatever I can jam into my face between feedings and shittings which usually isn't fresh chopped veggies and seared tofu, it's whatever pile of american futuristic superprocessed pile of compounds and trans fats I can reach fastest.

I'm sure the docs will figure out something for you. Hopefully non surgical, but if does end up going that route I've heard it's quite effective. My dad had it done many years ago and it worked for him like a dream, he just can't burp now, so he sounds like a walking duck farm as it all finds its way out the.........err......other way. He'll get one up every now and then after a few long contractions, but it is painful and sounds like a suffocating old woman's last cry for help.

Posted 4 days ago #
  60. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I would love to be able to get back to my 10-12 bowls a day. But with my job, it's impossible. So I had to cut back to 4-5 ish depending. Weekends more, days I work are less. Plus I also upped the size of the bowl. How big is the pipe you are using smokingwizard?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 days ago #
  61. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

My dad had it done many years ago and it worked for him like a dream, he just can't burp now, so he sounds like a walking duck farm as it all finds its way out the.........err......other way.

Hahaha! Well I pray I don't end up like that :lol:to be honest what with heartburn, sore throat and gums I'd be willing to take any option they offer whether surgical or whatever as long as it does the trick. I just hope there is an operation and they can get it done in a reasonable amount of time, maybe a year would be bearable as long as there's an end in sight.

Chris

Posted 4 days ago #
  62. docrameous

docrameous

Login to Send PM

I am a very new pipe smoker. For me there are two major factors...

Time - if I can't sit and enjoy the pipe, in a good place, with no interruptions or concerns, I won't do it. Sometimes I will smoke a number of evenings in a row and then I won't smoke for a number of days as well. Right now I have not smoked in almost a week due to my work and travel, but I'll probably fire one up today sometime!

Enjoyment - at least for me, like any luxury, there's always a point when I have had enough. I just know it when I hit that point. Most of the time for me this is one or two bowls. Beyond that, I start to not enjoy it as much. However, on one occasion last month I took my pipe with me fly fishing and I think I smoked four bowls because it was just very, very enjoyable that day.

Beyond that health, finance and other considerations are out there, but these are the two major ones.

I can't at the moment see me smoking all day. I would never say never, but I live this way with other luxury items. For example a bottle of a really nice single malt will last me a long time for the same reasons. It is always special when I can sit and have a 'wee dram' as the Scottish would say!

Posted 2 days ago #
  63. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

with other luxury items.

Fascinating that you consider the pipe to be luxury and you use a cob as your avatar. Simply fascinating!

Posted 2 days ago #
  64. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fascinating that you consider the pipe to be luxury and you use a cob as your avatar. Simply fascinating!

Don't want to speak for doc, but I think the luxury of pipe smoking is in the activity, and not the cost of the implement. They used to call tobacco 'poor man's pleasure' for exactly that reason.

Posted 2 days ago #
  65. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand that. No explanation called for, it was simply an observation. It's the juxtaposition (wrong word but, close enough) of "luxury" and the disposable pipe avatar that caught my attention. I fully realize that many revere the cob and take umbrage to it being "disposable." But, that's simply my thinking.

Posted 2 days ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking that maybe I should try to cut back to 8 or 12 a day. Naw.

Posted 2 days ago #
  67. docrameous

docrameous

Login to Send PM

Don't be too fascinated. I'm lame when it comes to creative stuff... so I just threw that on as that particular cob was the first pipe I smoked.

I definitely need to find a better avatar!

Posted 2 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jttnk