Tags:   

Am I Smoking Correctly?

(26 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by konsciousdreams
  • Latest reply from bludgeoningdeath
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

konsciousdreams

Login to Send PM

As I started to smoke pipes 3 weeks ago I have questions regarding how to smoke pipes. A tobacconist in Vienna told me that the correct way to smoke a pipe was to inhale with the nose and by creating a vacuum inside the mouth it absorbs the smoke from the pipe. So every time I'm smoking I do as I was told, and I enjoy it very very much. By doing this I feel connected with my pipe.

Can I have your thoughts please?

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep, that "through the nose" thing is called "retrohaling."

Retrohaling, while very slowly sipping the pipe so that the pipe almost smokes itself, improves the flavors of the smoke. Sort of like aroma therapy for pipe smokers. Retrohaling also works very well while smoking cigars.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

billypm

Login to Send PM

This sounds to me like "breath smoking", where normal nose breathing while the pipe is in place creates enough pressure flow in the mouth to create very gentle draws. If so, it's a GREAT piece of advice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forums! That is a great trick to really get the full flavor of some of those subtler blends. I would just err on the side of caution with some stronger blends.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter70

Login to Send PM

I don't think, there is a "correct" way to smoke a pipe. There are enjoyable ways, and not so enjoyable ways to smoke a pipe, but none of them is correct or incorrect. Which tobacconist was it BTW?

Kind regards,
    Peter

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. carcosa

carcosa

Login to Send PM

Funny thing, I'll also be smoking the pipe again for 3 weeks as of tomorrow. I try to breath through my nose while I'm smoking...

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. cavendish

cavendish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes I do this as well. Not all the time but in the last 10+mo I've really learned alot am lately it seems its all falling into place with slowing right down. I love it and it's very relaxing

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From my perspective, as long as you are not setting your beard on fire, you are doing an OK job of smoking a pipe. As you practice, you will find ways to make it more enjoyable. I don't care how often I have to re-light. That gives me a chance to enjoy my Zippo again. Thus just relax and enjoy the flavor.

But obviously, if you can't blow a smoke ring and sail a ship through it like Gandalf does in the movie, you are a failure as a pipe smoker.

Winton

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jservant98

jservant98

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you are doing just fine. I had to learn to slow down alot, I am a former cig smoker so I was trying to smoke my pipe that way.....I didnt work out well at all, coughing and major tongue bite!! I guess I have kind of a thick head! lol. Some of us have to learn the hard and painful way..

He came to His own, but His own rejected Him.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. scrapyardape

scrapyardape

Login to Send PM

But obviously, if you can't blow a smoke ring and sail a ship through it like Gandalf does in the movie, you are a failure as a pipe smoker.

I can do that!

Of course it looks like one shapeless blob of smoke colliding with another shapeless blob of smoke, but let's not split hairs, shall we?

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Their are many different ways to smoke your pipe that is just one of the ways

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. swampmouth

swampmouth

Login to Send PM

I don't remember ever asking these questions 30 years ago. It's a good thing you did. Just don't get jaded now. It was the difficult bowls that were unsatisfying, and kept me trying.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is only one correct way to smoke a pipe, light the tobacco, draw the smoke into your mouth, either exhale through your nose or your mouth. Other than those two options, I don't know where else the smoke will go, that is unless you can blow it out your ass, which might alter the flavor just a tad. lol

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. pipingruotsi

pipingruotsi

Login to Send PM

I retrohale also. I don't know when or why I started. I think it came naturally to me. The thing that I'm always reminding myself is to go slow. When you think you're going slow enough, go slower. When you've finally gone too slow, the pipe will go out and you start over. lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

konsciousdreams

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As you get better at this, you might also try loading two bowls with different tobaccos, put one in each nostril, and breath through your mouth. It hasn't really improved my smoking experience, but it's gotten a few folks to throw loose change at my feet on the street ;o)

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Roth, retrohaling is the way to go to get every nuance!

+1 Harris, LOL!
    +1Cosmic, LOL!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris-

Your particular suggested technique could really produce a rather....aromatic room note

Though, some blends may be improved by it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. bphilli75

Billp

Login to Send PM

I understand retrohaling to simply be exhaling smoke through the nose. Breath smoking seems to be what is described above by konsciousdreams. Thoughts? I say smoke how you enjoy. Breath smoking isn't for me. I personally prefer to puff rather than sip. I like larger quantities of smoke, and I tend to retrohale the last small bit of smoke from each draw. I do find it enhances the experience of the tobacco. To each his or her own.

Welcome and enjoy,
    Bill

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The way you describe smoking sounds perfect, especially if you're enjoying it.

For the record, the understanding I have is:
    retrohaling = Taking smoke into the mouth and then exhaling the smoke threw the nose.

Breath Smoking = Clenching a pipe and inhaling threw your nose so pressure draws smoke into the mouth.

In retrohaling - you can draw the smoke in however you please, and in breath smoking, you can puff the smoke out however you please.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. drcastillo

drcastillo

Login to Send PM

thanks for the tip, i´ll try

can you describe the movement of the nature? PRINCIPIA
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. mgolfd

mgolfd

Login to Send PM

I have tried breathe smoking and it always seems like alot or work for me. I am more of the slow easy sips process....

Marky D.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

Once I relaxed a bit and got the hang of Breath smoking, my pipe experience improved tenfold. I had no idea just how fast I was smoking before and how much flavor I was missing. It became a completely new experience for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Concerning breathe smoking... when you create that vacuum in your mouth by breathing through your nose to draw the smoke into your mouth... aren't you inhaling the smoke with every vacuum creating breath you take with your nose?

It doesn't sound like a lot of smoke is being puffed anyway, but you are essentially breathing in the smoke 100% of every puff with breath smoking aren't you?

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Breathing in through your nose, yes, directly to the lungs. I've been doing circular breathing to run my jeweler's blowtorch for decades, which works similar to a didgeridoo. I can breath out my nose, without pushing from my lungs, but no amount of drawing in through my nose will bypass my lungs. However, I can use the back of my throat to draw in through my mouth, without using my lungs at all.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. bludgeoningdeath

bludgeoningdeath

Login to Send PM

Interesting thoughts here. I'm still learning after about a year of pipe smoking now and I don't think I've ever tried this.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, jiminks, jfred, supdog, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969