PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Am I crazy for wanting to own a Dunhill? I have never been the kind of pipe smoker that cares how much my pipe costs, in fact, I am proud that my entire collection probably cost as much as one High grade hand made pipe! But for some reason I can't explain, I just want to own 1 dunhill.... :crazy: The only thing that makes since to me is that I would like to be able to speak from experience about dunhill pipes!!
So am I losing my mind?

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Don't feel bad Bubba I would love to have one also. I just can't justify it at this time in my life.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I've been pondering a lot about purchasing a Dunhill come payday.. But there are sooo many awsome beautiful pipes for the same price or much cheaper. Sure they are top grade pipes, but how much of me wants one just for jumping on the band wagon?? Maybe this summer or I'll keep my eyes open for a good used one. What sorts Dunhill are you after?

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I feel the same way about Japanese pipes (I've yet to see an attractive one under 400 USD even estate) -- course it'll be a long while before I could foot the bill for one. Maybe after I pay off my student loans heh heh

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I know what you mean, Bubba. You're not going crazy. Last month I had to have one and picked up an "estate" for just over $200. You can probably get one on ebay in the $100 to $200 range. Hell, my local tobacco shop had 4 used ones and they all sold for under $100. I missed out on that one. They went fast.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
You're not crazy, any more than the rest of us are. 8O

From my research, which is decidedly not extensive by any means, I've seen the comment time and again that while they were not necessarily the pinnacle of the pipe maker's art, Dunhills became extremely collectible mainly because they're easily dated. That is not to denigrate them, or their new products (which are certainly luxury market items). I'd love to hear some more people chime in on their opinion of current and classic Dunhills and their qualities.

And bubba, if you need some support in your moments of weakness, just mail your credit card over to me.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
bubbadreier, you're not crazy. It is so natural to want to own pipes from one of the best reputable pipe company, at least so that you know how they smoke. For people who take pipe smoking seriously, it is crazy not to want to own one. I hope you have a Dunhill soon. I hope to buy one too. It is a good thought... :)

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
I purchased an estate Dunnie from a member here. It is my favorite pipe. I am crazier than a junk yard rat. So yes,you are totally insane! Those that are envious of my Dunnie are really jealous because the voices are only talking to me!

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Patience is my suggestion.
A couple of years ago, I started looking on Ebay for estate Dunhills and after a few months found the Dunhill Shell Briar that I wanted to buy and stuck to a max price that I wanted to pay and voila.... I had a Dunhill.
A few months later, I came accross another, a Buyere that is a group 1, then another shell group 4.
There is some information on the stamp, dating,etc. I need to locate a Dunhill expert and date them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just do it. You can always sell it if you want or need to. But you won't.

Also, hears a site for dating Dunhill pipes.
http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
hey manytrees, i had a 1960 chev conv back then,didn't like the rag top. wind, rain, snow, leaked, lock your doors, right.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Bubba,..I'm about as ill-qualified to comment on your mental status as I am to comment on whether or not a new Dunhill is worth the money.

But I understand and share your fascination with wanting to own one. Sometime in the future I’ll more than likely buy a pre-owned Dunhill, one that’s in as decent a shape as possible and restore it, of course before I can do that I’ll have to be able to control my acquisition disorders for long enough to put aside a few hundred bucks.

I’d really like to hear what Dunhill owners say about their pipes and how they smoke in comparison to pipes such as mid-level Petersons, Savinellis, or Stanwells.

As for my own mental status,…..hell, I’m crazy as a run-over dog ‘cause sometimes I daydream about a brand new Rolex Submariner I’m gonna buy for my own retirement gift.

I need a Rolex watch in Harrah, Oklahoma like I need a hole in the head!

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I've a few, even a limited edition my wife got me. They're good pipes, by and large. I had one that whistled, once. But they usually feel good in the hand and their shapes define the classic. The problem for me is that once I go past a certain price point, I really don't enjoy smoking a pipe. I spend more time worrying about scorching a rim or smoking too hot, or not dropping the thing, than just enjoying what I'm doing. Which is the opposite of why I like to smoke a pipe. Plus the best smoker I have (which for me means best pipe), is an old Tom Howard knock off of a Custombilt that I can't have paid five dollars for. I have no idea why, but even crap tobacco is tasty in that thing.
You'll probably end up with one (which doesn't make you crazy, just an exemplar of mimetic desire), now that you have the bug, but Chero, Cortezattic and manytrees are right.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I've seen it before. The Dunhill Pipe quest is a quest that many

Pipe smokers have. As for the crazy part..., it's a fine madness.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
@Tommy: Once you retire you won't need a Rolex. :nana:

In fact you won't need any watch. (I reckon time by the height of the sun, mostly;

or by how hungary I feel.) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.