Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Came across this essay and loved it. Good for a read and a chuckle.
http://www.waywardirregular.com/the-gentleman%E2%80%99s-guide-to-smoking-a-tobacco-pipe-without-looking-like-a-hipster/

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Aromatic tobaccos in the jar at the B&M:
Those tobaccos are produced largely for the old guys who walk into the shop and buy three pounds at a time because it’s something their wives don’t mind the smell of around the house. They aren’t in it for an experience, they do it likely to feed an addiction and they don’t so much as have a tongue in their mouth as they do an old flap of charred leather. They don’t smoke because it tastes good or helps them relax, they smoke because FDR died.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mr. Jordan certainly has some deeply ingrained biases. There is some good information contained in his essay but, I think he is indeed what he decries, a hipster at worst, a "pipe snob" at best. It is an enjoyable read though.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Actually, most of the bulks in the B&Ms here in Vegas are Lane Limited so they're pretty decent.
I stopped reading once he said look for something that says English Blend or Balkan Blend. That's not the way to go about advising a newbie.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I read mostly as a tongue in cheek kind of thing, something that was written more to make a real pipe smoker laugh then to try and provide any real wisdom to a newbie. If you read some of his other stuff he comes across as a satirical writer then one trying to make a serious discussion.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I stopped reading once he said look for something that says English Blend or Balkan Blend. That's not the way to go about advising a newbie.
I respectfully disagree. I think English and Balkan blends are a great place to start. They might smell bad at first, but they actually taste good. Where I find the exact opposite to be true with aro's, smell great but taste like crap.
Interesting article though. Can't say I agree with all the views, but entertaining read nonetheless.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm with northerneil on recommending English blends to newcomers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whimsical essay that depends too much on stereotypes. I don't have any idea what a hipster is.

I think certain groups of young people affecting stylish clothes and some of them smoking pipes,

while living in Brooklyn, may come close to filling the stereotype, but probably they are all into

separate individual lives that define them better than the word hipster.
I would say categorically you can't be a hipster if:
You are over sixty. You have ever served in the military. You have ever had a job that included

cleaning toilets. You have ever been a responsible caretaker of a seriously ill person.
There are other markers that eliminate you from ever being a hipster, but those will suffice.
I think hipsters are inexperienced young people who annoy their peers and elders by being

dramatic about their clothing and habits. Wait about two months and they will be doing

something else, often something good.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Handling a tobacco pipe properly is like mastering a fine Japanese tea ceremony, but with fewer kimonos and eyeliner.
I found this funny!
To a beginner, this is a fair comparison. I am a couple years in and still feel like a noob a lot of days.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Don’t leave the store without pipe cleaners either – yeah, they’re for more than grade school art projects.
I supervise some of our youngest servicemen and women. During some down time at work I was cleaning up a pipe and one of my 20 year olds said to me something to the extent of "So pipe cleaners are for really cleaning pipes. I just thought they got the 'pipe' part because they are shaped like (water) pipes."
I laughed a bit and asked what she thought the cleaner part was referring to. "Good point...."

Status
Not open for further replies.