Always Wanted A New Tsuge? How Does $57 Sound?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com has Tusge "tasting pipes," blast straight tapered billiards, for $57 and change. I bought one of these from PC a while back for $40, and it is an excellent pipe, real Tsuge quality. I suspect they'll go fast, but I recommend them.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I took MSO's advice on these pipes a few weeks back, and I'm very glad I did. I got the billiard, which is the middle size of the line: Virginia - Billiard - Pot. I have a pretty bad case of cheapskate (or is it "budget-conscious"?) PAD, so I really only buy estates. For whatever reasons, I decided that I needed a new briar that was cheap, smokes really well, and is kind of a totally neutral blank slate in every way. My Tsuge Tasting fits the bill in every way. It has almost zero personality. You hardly know it's there - nothing striking, but also nothing irritating - just completely neutral, and with no taste of its own. Nice hand-feel with a very subdued blast, perfect drilling and draw, strangely perfect mortise-tenon fit, moderately comfy acrylic stem, and very light for the size. It had a nice bowl coating (I usually hate those and sand them off) and smoked perfectly right off the bat. It smokes fresh, dry and cool every time, with no ghosts - even more so now that I'm rinsing with water. It's functionally impeccable, but completely impersonal, which is exactly what I wanted. I think I'll eventually buy the other two sizes as well. And if I ever win the lottery, I'm for sure getting one of those crazy Tsuge Ichibans that go for a gazillion dollars on ebay.
This forum has such great advice for finding the best smokers on a budget. I wouldn't have given this particular pipe a second glance without MSO's endorsement. And I wouldn't have six Brebbias that all smoke wonderfully (and none of which cost me more than 40 bucks) if it weren't for Sable's recommendation. Nearly all my pipes that I think of as "keepers" have a similar story. Thank you, gentlemen!

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I've bought 3 of the 21 Tasting Billiards. (21mm bowl ID) All are perfectly drilled & smoke just fine, however the last one I got has a slightly loose/soft fitting stem, kind of like the stem fit on a meerschaum. The only negative & I'm nit-picking here: the stems on all 3 slightly restrict the draw, no turbulence or whistle, just a slight restriction, no big deal really as not everyone wants a very open draw. Overall a great pipe for $50 & change.

Status
Not open for further replies.