(17 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by piperl12
  • Latest reply from foggymountain
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Morning,

I am contemplating purchasing a Altinok Santa Clause pipe to create a new holiday tradition. The issue is that at nearly $250.00 dollars US i wanted to do some homework first. Does anyone have experiance with them? What were your thoughts on the product recieved? Quality of the carving? Smoking qualities? Fit and finish and finally delivery time. I appreciate any assistance.

Cheers,

Piperl12

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. buzzbegone

buzzbegone

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked their Santa Clause pipe, but I've smoked many meerschaum pipes from Altinok and I think the overall quality of their pipes are good. I only smoke meerschaum pipes by the way and I rank Altinok on the high end. Most of my Meers are from Altinok as is this one, that I smoke everyday:

I've lost count how many times I've linked this, I need to take pics of all my meers and post them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

buzzbegone that is a beautiful meer. The coloring is fantastic. I also notice a high luster as well. What do you polish it with?

Jason
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Buzz that is a beautiful pipe. My Meers are quickly becoming my favorite pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. buzzbegone

buzzbegone

Login to Send PM

"Regarding my meer(s); I don't really do anything special with them other than smoking them. I would probably make the elder meer collectors here cringe, because I take my meers everywhere: fixing cars, fishing, hunting, work, tattoo shops, gentlemen clubs, in bed with wifey, etc. And I don't always keep my hands clean or grease free while handling them, and I do handle them bare-skinned/sans gloves. I only run a soft pipe cleaner through the stem/mouthpiece and I gently clean the inside of the bowl with cotton q-tips. I don"t re-wax my meers either, I believe accepting the imperfections adds to their beauty."_quoted by me from another post (lol)

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. buzzbegone

buzzbegone

Login to Send PM

if it helps I do wipe the exterior of my meers with the same clothe I use to wipe my eyeglasses. I think it's some kinda microfiber fabric of some sorts.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I give not much extra special care to my meer either. Clean hands is about it. No gloves, etc. I have some micro fiber towels, I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Piperl12

I bought an Altinok pipe about a year ago. It smokes very well. The carving is beautiful. The stem fits well and the pipe fits the case well. Their response was quick and professional when I contacted them by email. The delivery was a little bit slow, but the pipe was well worth waiting for.

I only hope I can wait long enough to give it some color. I only smoke it occasionally because with my life style I prefer a pipe that I can easily stick in my pocket and not worry about giving it a little abuse.

I expect you won't have any regrets if you get one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

buzzbegone that is a beautiful meer.

+1

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buzz, that is one of the most beautiful pipes I have ever seen, it really speaks to me and definitely would be my main smoker if I had something like that too.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buzz, that is an awesome meer. If you don't mind, how long have you been smoking it?

@piper, Altinok is a nice pipe and a real nice smoke. I have one. It took a while to get here.
    Nothing against the Altimok but if you add $50 bucks to that budget you should check out the Baki meerschaum site (heck you might find something for $250). It'll be at your doorsteps rather than 2 months. Reason is the Altimok had to be make and the Baki is always in stock.

On the quality of smokes with a meerschaum , I find myself grossly neglecting my briars since adding four meerschaums over the summer (1 Altimok 1 SMS and 2 Bakis).

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. buzzbegone

buzzbegone

Login to Send PM

Thanks I've been smoking Meers all my puffin life. Also just want to add I'm not sure what grade of meerschaum (probably 5-6) Altinok uses for their pipes, but out of my all my meers they seem to color the fastest. I just got my first Baki pipe though (I'm sure is a grade 6 meerschaum) and it's also coloring very fast. Regardless, I'm sure if you order that Santa Claus Meer, it won't remain white for long.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. buzzbegone

buzzbegone

Login to Send PM

@gnatjulio

I've had that pipe for a 3 years thus so far.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. jerry

jerry

Login to Send PM

I only collect and smoke Meerschaums and I give Altinok (and Baki) thumbs up! I own five Baki's and several pipes purchased from Altinok - all excellent. By the way, Mr.Baki is a carver and Mr.Altinok is a dealer, selling pipes created by various carvers.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will pretend I don't like meers in order not to start accumulating them too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

citrine

Login to Send PM

I have bought many Baki pipes (15), and I have also bought several Altinok pipes.

Based on my own experience, Baki was a thousand times better with regards to service and quality. But this is my experience, which many share, but there are also some who think otherwise. I suppose it really depends on your luck when buy meerschaum pipes as it is handmade and especially made to order.

Other than Baki, I would think that you would have better luck buying ready meer pipes from Ebay dealers as you can see what you are getting and you get protection by Ebay if the item is not up to scratch and there are problems with the seller (important to see Ebay seller rating).

Just a note, you may want to check the resale value of the individual carver's pipes if you are keen to resell your pipe in the future, resale values can vary widely among brands and carvers. Good luck.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a completely useless pipe from them. Would never buy from them again. In particular do not believe them when they say "we will make one just like it." Buyer beware, buyer stay away.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lightxmyfire, p40warhawk, the85boro, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg, voorhees, civilwar, orlandofurioso, generalzod, didimauw, curl, sablebrush52, lightmybriar