PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
altesse-sterling-silver-amber-stem-briar-pipe-with-snakeskin-case.jpg
Hello, hopefully this works getting the pic up. This is the pipe and case I had mentioned. If anyone knows any info on it please let me know. It is from France and that is about all I know. So any help would be welcome. Thank You

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
No info but that case is snazzy. It would be cool to see some of the new meer cases like that. is there any other markings than France on it? It also might help to put up a larger photo.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This may help you as it's an article about an Altesse pipe with an amber stem. They were made in st. Claude, France and I'll bet yours is pre WW II. Hope this helps.
http://www.vancouverpipeclub.com/EN/pipes_alight/why_i_buy_estate_pipes_-_steve_laug/

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Hi papipeguy

Funny you found that, Steve and I are the only ones we can find that have this pipe. Ours are identical, I think it does have something to do with our Canadian Vets as this pipe along with Steves were both obtained in Ontario. Mine in northern Ontario from an estate auction ( with no further info ) and Steves in eastern Ontario. I think it might have been a pipe that was given or awarded to some of our WW1 vets coming back from overseas. What is amazing is it is in mint condition. It is quite an extraordinary pipe. Thanks

timely

Jan 23, 2012
altesse-pipe3-600x450.jpg
This is another pic I have of it, can't figure out how to blow it up yet. There are only a few markings on it. The silver band is marked " sterling 925 fine " along with the Altesse name stamped into it and a sticker on inside of snake skin case with the same. The outside of the case is stamped with " Genuine Amber, Guarenteed Finest Quality ". The shank is stamped with the Altesse name with Best Briar above it and Amber beneath it.I hope the pic shows up.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
ok that was bigger pic haha It was taken with a cell phone maybe that's why it is bigger

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Could it be a Ropp pipe? I did my usual google search and found a few links that mention a Ropp Altesse 99 for sale. there was no picture unfortunately.
Brand created by Eugène-Léon Ropp (1830 - 1907). "GBA Synergie" run by Bernard Amiel (†2008) bought back Ropp in 1988 and owned it until 1991.

The company was taken over by Cuty-Fort Entreprises (Chacom, Jeantet, Vuillard, Jean Lacroix...) in 1994.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
that's interesting, I have seen a Ropp uf for sale once and that one didn't look anything like it nor was there any mention of a snake skin case.. But they may have made others I do also agree that it was after WW1 and yes it was made in France. What is odd is that when I got mine I scoured the web and found someone else who has the exact same one down to every detail. I got in touch with the person and he said he could not find anything more than I did, it's kind of a mystery as we both obtained them in Ontario ( he got it out west from an antique dealer who said he got it around Trenton ) Trenton has a base there and the person I got it from only knew that the estate auction was at a house that had an old WW1 vet. I could not find any pics of this pipe and case besides the ones we own. It is an interesting mystery. The 1930's sound right. Thanks for the help I keep scouring the web in hopes of a picture and mention of the snake skin case but got as far as a few others have.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I think it might have been a pipe that was given or awarded to some of our WW1 vets coming back from overseas.

Sorry, timely, that I don't have enough knowledge to give you any information about your pipe. It sure looks like a treasure. It might be worth checking into some veterans groups to see if you can find someone with a relative from WWI or a WWI historian who might know something of pipes awarded to returning soldiers. Anyway, enjoy your pipe and thanks for sharing.
Here's an interesting WWI picture.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Philip thanks for taking a look at this beauty. I do think that this pipe with the unique snake skin case was awarded to WW1 vets. The 1 other person who owns the exact pipe and case has stated that he thinks it's from the 30's. I found him by my searching for any info on this pipe and have been in contact with him since. He was amazed that someone else had this mystery pipe and case as well. It seems that google doesn't have any more info so I shall take a look at your link. I find it odd that even typing in snake skin pipe case alone comes up with nothing besides what S.Laug has written. It is intriging indeed, I feel like I am on a mystery quest. Thank you and I will now follow your link and the veteran groups is a very good idea. You should see this in real life it is amazing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.