PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Another thread mentioned Capstan Blue as a fair substitute for Dunhill Flake. I've read numerous times that Navy Rolls and Escudo are very similar. Also several threads naming Artisans Blend a substitute for Nightcap. How about the other Dunhill blends? How do you guys fill the gaps from other Dunhill offerings like Dark Flake, Royal Yacht, Elizabethan Mixture etc.?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not a huge fan of the YouTube pipe smoking crowd, but Bradley of StuffAndThings is pretty good. He did a several-part series looking for a replacement for Elizabethan, and wound up settling on GL Pease Stratford, not as a perfect substitute, but as a similar enough blend to fill the void left by Elizabethan. I think Fillmore was also an honorable mention.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's not clear in my original post, but I wasn't thinking about replicas. More like what gives you a similar smoking experience or scratches the same itch or something like that.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Another thread mentioned Capstan Blue as a fair substitute for Dunhill Flake. I've read numerous times that Navy Rolls and Escudo are very similar."
To ME, none compare to Dunhill flake.

All great but... different.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
G.L Pease Westminster is very close to, and maybe a little better than, London Mixture.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think Capstan Gold is closer to Dunhill Flake than Capstan Blue.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
G.L Pease Westminster is very close to, and maybe a little better than, London Mixture.
+1. I also find Cornell and Diehl's Epiphany to be a blend that easily fills the role left by The Aperitif. It's far from a match for it, but it really gives me what I liked about the Dunhill blend-- that is, an easy to smoke medium English blend with a noticeable, but not overbearing aromatic topping.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For me, Acadian Perique scratches a similar itch as Royal Yacht.

Status
Not open for further replies.