PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I have a glass jar, that is used to store hermetic pasta sauce, the one that you get from the store.
Is that good enough to use to store tobacco? It seems airtight, with a lock with rubber etc
I dont have mason jars now

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks!

I just washed it out and dried it, dont smell or anything.

They are quite handy, seems there is not many shops anymore that sells mason jars. Its only plastic now.

But these are extremely cheap and a very handy size

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
+1 Chris
I used a cleaned out jelly jar for a while before I ever had mason jars. My jelly jar was never 100% air tight but it seemed to work okay for the time that I used it. Your jar sounds better than what I had so it should work.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ace Hardware and WalMart carry Ball jars year 'round. if you can afford pipe tobacco, you can aford jars at $10 a dozen or so. Re-usable forever. Mylar ziploc bags work well for tobacco storage, too, but not as well as glass.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have a glass jar, that is used to store hermetic pasta sauce, the one that you get from the store.

Is that good enough to use to store tobacco? It seems airtight, with a lock with rubber etc

I dont have mason jars now
It should suffice for a week or so and a much better alternative than placing it in a plastic bag as they are permeable and aren't worth squat other than for shipping bulk blends. If you are going to purchase more blends, and you will more likely than not do so, I would strongly recommend the use of Mason jars. In the long run that is the only way to go when you compare the cost of tobacco as to the very low cost of Mason jars.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I have not seen a what you guys call mason-jar ever in Norway. Not since I was a kid 25 years ago anyway. you might get them on a fleamarket

We had something similar (Norgesglass). But they are mostly sold now for decoration, and are not original but copys
The glass I got, and the jellyglasses you buy here in Norway, are usually washed out and used for canning food, like jelly and peaches etc So maybe we are talking different quality of the glasses?
The purpose of the glass is to be airtight and consistent in humid? I can take a hygrometer out from my hunidor and check the temp and RH for 24 hours
Its not about cost, but you dont get a dozen of anything here for 10 dollars :D
Balljar is the same as Norgesglass, but those I can get on a fleamarket probably

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pardon our parochialism. I'm in the US....
k2-_2d00fc96-b8e8-4df0-9e08-c526c97492e0.v1.jpg

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I should really have stated that in the OP, so I am the one that should have apologized

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I found Balljars, they sell them for 10-15 dollars each :eek:

used without the rubber

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=53810424&searchclickthrough=true&searchQuery=norgesglass

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Will this glass do the same job?
http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/70213545/

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I found Balljars, they sell them for 10-15 dollars each
10-15 dollars each, as in ONE jar! Obviously I can't read Norwegian.

I would think, although I might be mistaken, is that canning fruits and vegetables is also done in Norway?

If so, I would imagine that you should be able to purchase a dozen caning jars for the cost of 10-15 dollars.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Will this glass do the same job?
http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/70213545/
Yes, those are also good albeit a tad more expensive than canning jars.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Yes, those are also good albeit a tad more expensive than canning jars.
Thanks, then I just get 20 of those! Thats about 2 dollars american each glass and thats really cheap. The mason jar is apparently an antique, so yes, 10 dollars each for the small one, and up to 17-20 dollars for the biggest ones. No one is really canning food anymore I think, they rather buy canned food at the store and dont have time canning food themself, takes to much time I guess. And therefore maybe the balljars went out of sale.
If they are canning food, they usually just use the glass I have now. Glass with tin lock. I just cant see the difference really, and why its not aroma-tight for food storage. Is there anyway I can check this?
But thank you guys!! We manage to find the scandinavian equalient to mason jar

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I had heard that Ball canning jars had become quite a rarity in Western Europe but I didn't realize they were considered an antique in the Nordic countries. It sounds like you've found something that will work for you, but I thought I would recommend Bormioli Rocco Fido jars from Italy as a viable replacement for the Ball canning jars anyway. You can definitely order them online from sites like Amazon or even directly from the distributor.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
You need to look a little harder for mason jars. I know that I can walk into almost any WallyWorld, most grocery stores and hardware stores and find them in sizes from the small little 4oz jelly jar to the 64oz and sometimes even larger.
If your finding the plastic ones your looking in the wrong section of the store. Ask a clerk where the home canning jars are at but be prepared to buy them by the dozen because that is how they are usually sold.
If your using this tomater sauce jar for long term aging/storage I would take the tobacco out right now and put it back into a baggie before heading to the store to buy actual canning jars with a clean brand new seal. If your using it just for temporary short term while you smoke it type of storage you should be alright for a day or so till you can get to the store to buy actual canning jars.
This is a bunch of BS.
Pasta jars, jelly jars, whatever, are fine as long as they are made of glass. Just run them through the dishwasher which will get rid of the taste and smell of the tomato sauce and wash the lids well in hot soapy water. Glass is inert and doesn't pick up flavors and scents provided it is well cleaned. The lids they came with are fine, you're aging/storing tobacco not canning vegetables. I've used them for years.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Have you looked for Weck jars yet? I believe they are made in Germany and might be available in your area.
I will have a look. Thank you for det suggestion!

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I know now for a fact that the pasta-jar is tight. I followed the process described on pipesandcigars.com
so draw hot tap water (temperature below 140° F) into your sink, and place the jars in the sink so that the water is about as high as the level of tobacco in the jar. Let them sit in the water for about 15 minutes, and screw the lids in place. Remove them from the sink, and as they cool, a light vacuum will pull the lids tightly into place.
And the metal-lid popped into place a after cooling down. I have checked this with tests described on several pages for food-canning.So im sure its hermetical and its vacuum.
But now, as I understand from alot of reading; Im only preserving the tobacco in its current state? Im not actually aging it, cause then it needs oxygen right? Is it any difference between my method here to vacuum seal it in vacuum-sealer for food?
Im only practising with 25g of Escudo, but for me who are depended on ordering my tobacco online in large bulks, I need the learn the proper ropes of long term storage and short term storage. And its very interesting
Thank you everyone for you wisdom, it is highly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.