PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Has anyone ever cut a pipe stem down (Vulcanite) on purpose or as I just did (LOL) by accident? About a little over a quarter of an inch broke off as I was attempting to make it fit tighter in the sterling silver mount as it was tapered too narrow. I used the hair dryer to heat it and drill bit but that did not work, so I went for the open flame with the lighter as I had success with that before. As I was pressing it down to make it fatter I applied too much pressure and it snapped, must have made it too soft . . . but Voila! It fits now much better, but sightly shorter. I don't think it's a big deal. I don't even know if it was the original stem because if it was why then was it so loose? It's still a long pipe and not a nose warmer. I am cleaning the gunk off the rim now, and I'm going to buff up the silver mount and bowl as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it works, it's a gain. You still have the pipe; it is improved or at least not diminished. And you have a good story, which

you may start embellishing at will. Remember the stampede of wild ponies that galloped over the pipe after it tumbled out

of your pocket while you were drawing a bead on a cougar in the rocks above you? No? Well, it may occur to you.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
I figured out how to put the avatar on, but I have not figured out how to post photos, yet. It's difficult when you're computer illiterate, lol. Still learning. I can't even read the signature on the pipe. I just acquired it for fifty bucks. The silver is a little loose but it stays intact, and it smokes just fine. I still have some tweaking to do I suppose. I wish I could figure out how to post pics for you guys. The seller said it was a Nino something, but I know it's Italian but I can't find the maker. It doesn't look like nino to me . . . would like to post a pic of the signature to see if someone can identify it for me. Just curious . . . maybe I paid too much for it but if you like it, then you like it, and it's not too much. Hey, I only thought that it was too much when I broke the darn thing . . . breaking it fixed it! lol I guess you can say I broke it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.