PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I love altering my MM corn cobs. I replace the factory stems with bamboo stems. I give the cobs a coat of clear lacquer and I raise the bottom of the bowls using pipe mud. Who else does these nutty things?

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I gave one of mine a couple coats of glossy midnight blue airbrush acrylic paint. Entirely different look.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
jazzlover:
I agree: This is "nutty."
If you're giving your pipes a coat of clear lacquer, I'm afraid you're killing them and creating pipes that will smoke much hotter than they should. Pipes need to breathe; lacquer makes that impossible.
Bob

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
The most "I" do is take cheap ebay acrylic stems and open up the airways to smoke better. Any Bamboo & finish mods I have done for me by others. 8) I have kicked around the idea of doing it myself, but never got that far.
If you're giving your pipes a coat of clear lacquer, I'm afraid you're killing them and creating pipes that will smoke much hotter than they should. Pipes need to breathe; lacquer makes that impossible.
Bob
Missouri Meerschaum gives many of their pipes a lacquer finish. How would adding another coat of lacquer kill them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRJj11M3B2I

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
has anyone seen the cobsnob.com website. They do crazy stuff with MM's

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
"I love altering my MM corn cobs. I replace the factory stems with bamboo stems."
If you like bamboo stems then we can certainly accommodate you with an Old Dominion cob pipe! Sorry, had to get that shameless plug in! :) On a serious note, whether it is an MM or one of our Old Dominion cob pipes, I prefer a natural cob. For me I like the textured feel of a natural cob and that it's lightweight (perfect for me when I have to clinch a pipe while driving). The laquered cobs are fine when I'm not driving and can hold the bowl and smoke them but are a little heavy for clinching (again, that's just my preference).

mbaytek

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
The most "I" do is take cheap ebay acrylic stems and open up the airways to smoke better. Any Bamboo & finish mods I have done for me by others. I have kicked around the idea of doing it myself, but never got that far.
Bob
Missouri Meerschaum gives many of their pipes a lacquer finish. How would adding another coat of lacquer kill them?
He is thinking of Briar. Some think that lacquer will make the pipe burn while others do not. Quite a few pipe makers use a very thin coat of lacquer to set the color.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
You guys need to post pics of all your cobmods.

These are what I have done. All I have done myself is drilled & opened up the airways of the acrylic stems. One of these days we will get creative 8)
Smoking Dragon cob

black-widow-spool.jpg

Santia Cobs. I always have him use bone extensions on the pipes he makes me.

crazy-cob.jpg

santia-pipe.jpg

Basic cobs with added bamboo shanks w/nickel bands on a few and ebay acrylic stems that have been drilled out & slots all opened up.

group-of-cobs1.jpg

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I wasn't really going for anything fancy. My reasons for altering my cobs were so that I could tell mine apart from my son's cobs. The first just has some glossy airbrush acrylic on the bowl and stem. The second one just has a little paint on the stem.
image8-600x450.jpg

image9-600x450.jpg

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I tried to post pics of my altered cobs but I couldn't get it to work.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I wanted a cob to use at the Chicago Pipe Show for trying new blends without ghosting. I took a hacksaw to my cob and cut the top 1/4" of the bowl off. Presto, a smaller pipe for smaller samples.
FYI, I tried a blend last year with deer tongue in it. 1/4" of tobacco was all I could force myself to smoke.
Winton

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Winton,
Not a MM, but our latest model, the "Chesapeake", was inspired by folks wanting a tobacco testing pipe or "dessert" pipe. We modeled it off of our larger Old Dominion "Virginia Planter" cob pipe but it is sized down from a 5/8" dia. chamber to a 1/2" diameter chamber. We also shortened the height of the bowl by just shy of 3/8" of an inch from the VA Planter bowl. The bamboo stem was also made an inch shorter as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am so attached to the natural cob texture, I likely wouldn't modify the bowl. However, I very much like

the three Forever stems from Walker Briars, two that fitted filtered pipes and did away with the filters, and

one that fit a non-filtered pipe. They look great and jazz up the pipes without changing their cob look.

I hope to catch up with Old Dominion at the TAPS pipe show to get (at least) one or two of the pipes with

bamboo stems, which will be a whole new cob experience. To have one filtered cob pipe, I have simply added

a softie to the bit of a filtered pipe, just to keep from chewing up the amber stem that came with the pipe.

But the glory of cobs, for me, is their straightforward cob look. It's like the Volkswagen bug coming over

to the U.S. in the midst of gas-guzzlers with tailfins, and remaking the vision of what a car looks like.

A cob is pure cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.