PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I recently acquired a Willmer Bent Dublin Sitter that I like a lot. It is rusticated and as a result (so it seams) it isn't very stable when sitting, especially when empty. I like the idea if having it sit when not in use instead of on a holder, but I have to set it down just right to get it to stay put.
Would it be a bad idea to "sand" the bottom to make it more stable? I know it will affect the finish and affect its value. But I don't anticipate ever selling it (it wasn't expensive anyway).
Any other suggestions on improving its stability?
Here are a few pics:
img_1313-600x450.jpg

willmer_01-600x442.jpg

willmer_02-600x435.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
This would probably be best answered by a pipemaker, though I will express my hesitancy to alter a pipe. First, with that really cool looking craggy finish, sanding / carving away part of the briar is probably going to look funny. It would be impossible to replicate that rustication and the stain color, and the pipe would probably just end up looking odd with that kind of variance in the finish. Second, you'd need to consider the depth of the chamber and location of the draught hole in comparison to the pieces of wood you'd intend to remove to be sure you aren't weakening the pipe or making it more prone to cracks or burnout. I'd just keep it as-is. It's a good looking pipe!

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, I really like this one and understand what you're saying. I was thinking it may just need a very light touch to get it stable, but would probably look "wrong". And I risk regretting the alteration.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a pipe or two that I would categorize in the semi-sitter category, with small sitting surfaces on the bottom of the bowl or slightly rounded surfaces that aren't dependable in making the pipe sit. While I have never considered sanding either/any of them down for a flatter surface, that is a plausible approach. The counterpoint to that is that you will not end up with a comparable finish on the bottom of the pipe. You might get it fairly close, but it will never entirely match unless you refinish the whole pipe. I don't recommend that. Since most pipes aren't sitters, you could just treat this one the same way. Get a few inexpensive single-pipe stands and use them, or perfect the art of leaning the pipe or wedging it where it won't fall. Sanding it flat would be fine. Your call, of course. I'd probably use it as is. Little food condiment crockery bowls that are small enough to keep a pipe upright also work nicely and cost little, and can hold one or several pipes, which is convenient. Get crockery rather than any plastic or composite, for fireproofing. Eventually, you might buy an absolute sitter; one I can recommend is the Peterson B11. That one would stand up in a wind storm. I own two.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
When I first read your post, I mistakenly interpreted it to mean that you were thinking of reshaping the pipe so as to not be a sitter, since it is not a very good sitter. Seeing now that you just want to sand it a little flatter (as you clearly stated), I'd say that probably wouldn't hurt anything, but it will be hard to fix the finish / stain to look decent. I still stick by my "leave it as-is" approach :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Lean the pipe against something. Even if you're good with the disrupted finish now, over time as your pipes aesthetic develops, such disparity might become a minus. I have an Ashton Brandy with a diamond shank that doesn't quite line up to the diamond stem. At first I said "so what," but as I found which pipes worked for me, it didn't.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
With the bottom rusticated it will not be easy to make it blend in. You could just buy a poker or cherrywood for times that you want it to sit well. The other option is to sand it to smooth and try to match the stain, as many sitters are sanded after rustication or blasting. If you don't intend to sell it, it is totally up to you. But many guys regret altering a pipe. However, if it works exactly as you want it to after, you may not regret it.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Get a ball-bearing that fits the bowl and drop it in there when not in use to keep it sitting square.
That's a great idea!
Get a few inexpensive single-pipe stands and use them
I like this solution also. I don't necessarily care for the leather or silver metal stands, but there is an Etsy store named Vintage Pipes that sells some interesting stands. He also uses other items in fun ways to hold pipes for his photos, such as small statues. Makes his pipe pictures all the more unique. I might be able to pull some ideas from there.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Here are a couple of the stands I really like:
713xpwvl%2BnL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753HJ36G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
41wKpYbvJ0L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y42ZJTD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have several of each. They both seem to hold a variety of pipes very well but the top one holds smaller and billiard type shapes a little better and the bottom holds churchwardens better.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I've done this several times. I don't care about diminishing the value of the pipe. If I like it, I'll have it forever. I love a good sitter! I am not a professional pipemaker, but I make them occasionally.
First, practice of junker pipes. It is very difficult to get a flat surface sanding manually. You get it flat with a lower grit, and then end up rounding it off with higher grits. So you either end up with a rocker, or you go back take more off. You can easily end up taking off 3/16" and leaving the bottom of the pipe too thin below the airhole. If you can start with some pinch calipers to really know how much you can take off, you will thank yourself. It may already be too thin.
So, go easy. I'd start with 2 single passes of 600 grit, 2 passes of 1200, and 4-6 of 3-4000. A pro guy would probably say it's crazy to do it by hand. A proper disc sander with the right pads would make it much easier to get it flat enough to sit flat. By hand, I have to very very carefully sand out the middle by putting more pressure on the interior portion, so it will site flat around the edges.
After all of that, you will have to restain and buff. It's a project for sure. I would get confidence on cheaper pipes before attempting it on a good one. If you try it on some junkers, you will know if you want to try it on this one. It is risky for sure. I think the reward is worth it, but I modify my pipes all the time (if I think I can improve them). Don't do it if you are afraid to screw it up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could get a spherical rare earth magnet, drop it in the bowl, and set it on the lid of a mason jar.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
I think I'm going to leave it alone, probably get a one-pipe stand of some sort. This, to me, is too nice a pipe to risk screwing it up. Sure, it's isn't a $200+ pipe, but I like it and it's smoking well.
Besides, I'm not sure I want to learn how to fix/repair pipes at this time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here I have a magnet on the underside of the lid of the jar and one in the bowl of the pipe.
20181001_141423.jpg

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Similar in some ways to Cosmic's suggestion of a ball bearing.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You have a nice looking pipe and want to sand off the bottom? Seriously? It will take more than a little "touch up" to make that sit easily. I think you could easily take off enough where it would sit without affecting the smoking qualities. I wouldn't do it but it's your pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My younger brother had a sitter with a wonderful bottom. The thought of taking sandpaper to it never crossed my mind. Magnificent it was in shorts or capris. Yes capris, it was a long time ago. Obviously she made an impression though, a vivid impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.