PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Last week I thought my altenator had gone out on my truck, but I went to see the folks at autozone and they put my mind at ease that it wasn't the altenator just a bad connect at the battery...everything has been fine since

Until this, the coldest morning this year, I'm 40 miles from home & on the side of the highway with a dead truck!!! 25* out and not much warmer in here.

Damn

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Where you at? Maybe someone here is in the neighborhood? Be careful.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
That sucks! Same thing happened to my dad last week and I had to go rescue him, but it was -20F...

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Cool. I thought you might be in Texas, so you could have just been right around the corner... Haha! Warm wife on the way!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Hoping you're safe and sound. Keep us posted on you and the truck.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Wife's car is still sitting at her work place since 5 days ago. Starter is shot. Have been making a deal with a Guy for a Ford Escape and he gets her car as well if he hauls it away. Hard guy to deal with though. Her car is not worth putting a starter on it as the Safety Insp. runs out in couple months.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Got a new battery and will stop after work to have the alt checked out
Her car is not worth putting a starter on it as the Safety Insp. runs out in couple months.
Do you guys up there not have to have insp every year??
On a brighter note, a package I've been expecting since the 21st (kind of a TAD thing, but a trade not purchase)is in Dallas and I should be getting it today...it was missent to Ct and sat there for 3-4 days before anyone realized it didnt belong there..

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Spent an hour undeneath my truck, in the snow, rewiring the block heater the other day. If thats any consolation ha ha! Also waiting for a TAD package...

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
Chris,

I had a similar experience last week. Two months ago it looked like my alternator was going out. I had it checked at the diesel garage, and they thought it was my batteries (F350's take two batteries), so I went to Interstate Batteries to have them checked. They checked the batteries, and the tester showed that the alternator was bad.
I decided to replace the alternator myself. Installing the part is easy...loosening the tension on the serpentine belt is not, unless you have the right tool. Luckily my neighbor had a 1/2" ratchet that worked like a charm. Fast forward to last week, and the alternator died. I had to do it again.
This time, I had already purchased a 1/2" ratchet! It wasn't all bad, the alternator was replaced by O'Reilly Auto Parts under warranty, and I enjoyed a bowl of Butternut Burley while I worked. A friend came by to visit while I worked, and we went to lunch afterward.
The two-month-old alternator was fried at the point where the power source connected. It was black and crispy! I guess I just had a bad one. The good news is that my skill set improves with every repair I make on my truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.