PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'm relatively unexperienced when it comes to different pipe tobaccos. It takes time and money to get there.
You can find this line: Tobacco Galleria at most tobacco shops even if their focus isn't on pipes.
I've tried 'Irish Creme' and 'Rum and Maple'.
Irish Creme has a very consistent flavor, with a warm bite.
Rum and Maple just didn't appeal to me, a bit too bitter.
Does anyone have a favorite they would recommend from this line?
I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions about the other Altadis types, too. I've normally smoked aromatics but I'm expanding my horizons.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I got a free sample from altadis called Molto Dulce that is vanilla. It is freaking yummy! I hear one called maple street is a good one also. Have you sent them your info for a free sample?

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Montego Bay is a very nice butter rum flavored blend. And I liked the pouch of Kentucky Blizzard someone sent me so much I've ordered a pound of it.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I filled out the form for a sample, yes. They didn't ask me what kind of sample I would want, though ... and I never got a confirmation e-mail, I'm not sure if I made a mistake or what. Maybe they send you a random type?
This is the link I found and used.
I saw some Montego Bay where I got the Irish Creme and Rum n' Maple. Butter Rum sounds promising, so does this Molto Dulce

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I like Blue Note. The was a popular baccy under Ataldid before they made the TG brand.then it went out of stock and the B&Ms were never told when it would be back in. Then all of a sudden it is back. It is a sweater smoke. Similar to CB and 1Q.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Blue Note is OK. I dislike the rest of the aromatics.

Fox & Hound is definitely a decent English - not great, but decent. When a local mostly cigar B&M did a 2 for 1 on TG blends, I snapped up two F&H. Still working on them, after dumping in a Ball jar - but I won't search it out when this is gone. When I see some, I buy it if it's been a while. :puffy:

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
I like fox and hound....it's similar to luxury english. Nothing great....but not bad either. I also like night cap. It's a sweet cavendish with some spice and a hint of molases.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Fox and Hound is a good intro to Latakia blends. And Blue Note is a good aromatic too. All the other ones taste terrible to me. :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I enjoy Maple Street. Altadis gave me some tins at the Chicago Pipe Show, but I passed them on to a new pipe user at work. I know what I like better now than I did then, so I might more more next time.
Winton

cvento

Lurker
Sep 27, 2011
My last few orders of tobacco from Smokingpipes.com has included Tobacco Galleria sample pouches. I think the last one I smoked was a vanilla which I thought was OK.
If you like aromatics, one of the best aromatic tobaccos I have tried so far is Benjamin Hartwell's Evening Stroll, by Altadis - give this one a try!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have enjoyed the Midnight Smoke and the Blue Note , just not enough to repurchase them . Of note about once a year something shows up from Altadis since signing up about four years ago . And that makes them ok in my book .

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I haven't found a tobacco from Altadis that I like.
Have you tried any of their bulk latakia blends,Baskerville? I have been trying several. Their Balkan II, Byzantium, and Burma Road all ring my chimes.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The Tobacco Galleria line is Altadis' mass-market line, which is not their highest quality.
The Sutliff Private Stock is their better stuff.
Your avatar cracks me up Zanthal.
zanthal.gif

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I lucked out when I sent for the Altadis sampler several years ago. After about a month a huge box arrived at my door with easily 1 1/2 lbs. of tobacco in pouches. Some of it was pretty good, too. I liked several of the Iwan Ries blends (Altadis makes their tobacco), the Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish, the Blue Note, the Fox and Hound, and some others whose name escapes me now. The only really vile thing I found in the box was a pouch of Mixture 79 (like smoking an old woman's perfume). I don't think Altadis gets enough credit for the amount of free tobacco they give out to pipe smokers.
Smokey

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Trying some Fox and Hound soon. Some commented on it being very wet so I'm drying it out for an hour. However I have some CBW that is more wet. Maybe I got a dry batch?

I've heard FH may be a decent introduction to a Latakia blend. That is one reason I bought it, the other is, my favorite B&M ( Perfect Ash) is not on a bus route so I'll have to settle for the convenience of the cig shop nearby.
I'll let ya know how it goes.
Donavan

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
Top half of bowl was pretty good! I think I know what they were trying to be accomplished flavor wise. But things got a little funky in the lower half. Too little experience to describe it. Chemical, sour I don't know. I'll have to try it another time.
Any recommendations on something similar but better quality.
Thanks in advance.
Donavan

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
+1 Sparks on the "bang for the buck" of the Peter Stokkebye offerings.
To your Stokkebye English recommendations I would add Proper English, which has a higher proportion of Latakia in the blend than does English Luxury, and is a great all-day smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.