PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have been looking at this line of tobacco and see it gets some great reviews on pretty much all of it. I'm curious as to which ones are most popular. I was looking at 1M as the one review said it smells like grandpa's pipe.

I had a pouch of Sheffield's Old Fasioned Maple and it tasted just like it smelled and it smelled like grandpa's pipe and I just couldn't get enough of it. When I ran out I did some research and found they stopped making it (well Brigham was making it and the contract was not renewed by Sheffield and Son's due to lack of sales) and now I'm searching for something similar to keep in my cellar.
So school me on Altadis folks lol.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I had a pouch of Sheffield's Old Fasioned Maple and it tasted just like it smelled and it smelled like grandpa's pipe and I just couldn't get enough of it. When I ran out I did some research and found they stopped making it (well Brigham was making it and the contract was not renewed by Sheffield and Son's due to lack of sales) and now I'm searching for something similar to keep in my cellar.
Can't school you on Altadis, but I might be able to help you with a replacement for Old Fashioned Maple. Try Cornell & Diehl's Autumn Evening. Its a pretty popular blend with a heavy maple casing.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
One of my favorite tobaccos is an Altadis (Sutliff), Molto Dolche. Altadis is known for being a wet, goopy tobacco, but if you dry it a bit it's a great smoke. Molto Dolche is only available in a 1.5 oz tin, but I emailed the company to inquire as to when it might be available in bulk, and although I didn't get a definitive answer, they did send me three free tins!

Might want to try Creme Brûlée and St George's Blend as well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Altadis has done some decent latakia based blends. Their Count Pulaski, a light crossover English, had a lot of fans a few years back. I have enjoyed Burma Road and Tartans and Bagpipes in that vein, but I am only good for about 2 oz of any crossover English. I do enjoy their Balkan II and Byzantium.

I don't smoke aros, so I can't comment on those. I was not impressed by any of the Sutliff variations in the box pass.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@cavandish, much of what sheffield sold was Altadis tobacco just packaged by sheffield under different names. I spent quite a bit of time doing research looking for a sheffeild tobacco called Birkenhead Rich until finally I called Sheffield directly on the advice of someone on the forum. She was quite helpful and told me most of their tobacco's where bulk Altadis blends. This also holds true for much of what Brigham has. Brigham also get's tobacco from Orlick from what i understand from a Brigham contact I have. Good luck in your search.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had three blends from Altadis/Sutliff Private Stock, Molto Dolce, Maple Street, and A Tate of Summer. All were pretty good but definitely a bit more moist than I'm used to.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
@cavandish, much of what sheffield sold was Altadis tobacco just packaged by sheffield under different names. I spent quite a bit of time doing research looking for a sheffeild tobacco called Birkenhead Rich until finally I called Sheffield directly on the advice of someone on the forum. She was quite helpful and told me most of their tobacco's where bulk Altadis blends. This also holds true for much of what Brigham has. Brigham also get's tobacco from Orlick from what i understand from a Brigham contact I have. Good luck in your search.
Yeah I got pretty much the same info. The mgr at the Sheffield $ Son's in the mall told me this and I did a little additional research on my own. I will have to sample and see what they are like :D That's the fun of it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About Altadis, maybe I'm too easily pleased, but I've tried several of their blends and have found them

good. They're not the most sophisticated tobacco in the rack, but they are good quality product, to me.

Altadis B27 Smooth Black Golden Cavendish is a fine example of its kind and I highly recommend it.

B20 Black Cavendish is mild but non-goopey and an easy smoke, and I like their Balkan II better than

other Balkans I have tried, smooth but with some complexity. I'm not a big cherry guy, but after much

talk on Forums about cherry aromatics, I tried Altadis' Wild Cherry, and find it is a nice sort of dessert

smoke, no gaggy cherry flavor, just a nice room note and mild smoke. Try 'em 2 ounces for a sample,

and you may want a more generous supply next time around.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
A third vote for Molto Dolce. It's kind of a 'dessert smoke" to my taste. I always have a tin on hand.
I got the Charlemagne blend in the P&C goodie bag last month, and it has really turned me on to burleys. Which means more business for P&C... specially since I am hooked on Bull Run and Alamo, which, I'm pretty sure, are made by Altadis.
So, that's my two cents. Out of my top ten tobaccos, at least four are Altadis products.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
MV-50 (I think) Black Cordial is a nice one, lightly cherry and not too wet. Serendipity is also a nice citrusy treat.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
A lot of guys complain about it being goopy, but I think I'm in the minority when I say I actually like a wet tobacco. And if you smoke it in a well broken in pipe I don't seem to have a problem keeping it lit. The most tasty blends are Molto Dolce as many have mentioned, but also Barbados Plantation; it is a straight rum flavored tobacco and is very good. Then there is Top Shelf Bourbon also very good. Black Swan is a sweet Black cavendish blend that they make and I like it as well. Charlemagne is smooth and tasty, reminds me of 1Q.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cortezattic: I used to regularly smoke Dunhill Elizabethan. Here's an edited version of what I wrote at Tobacco Reviews: "... I'd say this blend is in the ballpark, but not an exact match. The original is a little more complex in taste. I taste the bright Virginia a little less in the Match. The perique is very peppery in both, but more noticeable in the Match. As much as I liked the original, I like this Match very much.
The original was the only pipe tobacco I ever smoked that my wife couldn't stand. Last year [2011], around Christmas, I opened my last tin of the original. My wife said, "That stuff stinks!" A few months later, when I bought the Match, my wife said, "Are you smoking that crap again?" She most certainly thought it was the same tobacco just by the smell. That just struck me kinda funny."
Their ERR Match is mighty close to the original, too. It's a shade less molasses tasting than the original.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Following up shaintiques, I've never had any problem keeping Altadis tobaccos going. Often they light the first time and

smoke on through, no re-light needed.

mikegun

Lurker
Oct 7, 2011
Colorado
I find that Sutliff BURMA ROAD is a great English aro crossover, very steady not to heavy blend, the best crossover ive tried and i have tried more then a few...no bite, stays lit, neither the latakia nor the Rum over ride one another...an all day blend for sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.