Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Alright, Serious Question of The Day: Do You Toast Your Bagel, Or Not?

(74 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from carolinachurchwarden
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some gyuys in the office who think it's a crime against the Order of Food Stuffs to toast a bagel. It's the only way I have ever preferred one. Just something about a hot, toasty bagel, smothered in cream cheese that hits the spot with a cup of coffee followed by a good pipe, but that's just me.

So what have you? Toast or no toasting of the bagel for you?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toast!

Everything bagel with a smear!

Neal
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Biscuits!

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Biscuits!

I would much rather prefer a biscuit as well, Cosmic, but on this occasion they brought in bagels for everyone to enjoy, so the discussion ramped up the minute I dropped mine in the toaster.

My ideal breakfast consists of two hot biscuits, slathered in milk gravy, with a lightly scrambled egg or two. Just love them biscuits and gravy!

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Toast

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toast for sure

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Gotta toast it. Bagels are primarily cooked by boiling the dough (so I hear), which gives it that dense, somewhat cloying texture. Toasting really helps make that heaviness much more palatable.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toasted

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Toasting a fresh bagel destroys alters its taste; but if you don't live within walking distance of a good Jewish deli, then it probably doesn't matter. At any rate, bagels are best with lox and cream cheese.

BTW, if you ever get a chance, try a biały -- with butter.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the good ones at the bagel shop don't get toasted. The crappy ones at the grocery store do, and they're usually what I have.

Tim
    Posted 7 months ago #
  11. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on timt's approach, especially with a schmear. I don't like melting cream cheese mess.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same-day fresh bagel, your option. If not same-day, toast. The reason people prefer biscuits to bagels is often that bagels outside New York City and area aren't especially well made. When in NYC, after asking around about the source, bagels are way best. In the South, skip the bagels and find the good biscuits -- again, mind the source. Footnote: When I moved to Raleigh, N.C., the only ethnic/international food was Tippy's Taco House and the Canton Cafe. Since then the restaurants have become expansive including a very good Laotian place. However, with all the offerings, the only good Jewish food was in a suburb, Cary, and that has now closed years ago. Seems strange.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmmm, Kettleman's bagels, fresh out of the wood-burning oven, lathered in your favourite topping. If it's the next day, pop them in the toaster!

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 7 months ago #
  14. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lived in New York City for 3 years and I remember all the bagels I bought for breakfast was toasted while those for later in the day were not toasted. I think it also made a difference to the type of bagels. I never had a cinnamon raisin bagel which was not toasted first.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

I usually broil my bagel in the oven, cut sides up. That way it stays nice and soft on the outside and gets nice and crispy on the inside where my eggs and bacon are gonna hang out. Thanks for bringing this up, though. Because of this post I'm now about to make a breakfast sandwich. This morning I've got an Everything Bagel, fresh eggs, and Canadian Bacon in a rusticated Savinelli 506 with a square saddle ebonite stem.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. techie

techie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toasted. With cream cheese. Now I'm craving one.

I like the breakfast bagel at Bruegger's too, also toasted.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

People eat untoasted bagels?! Every bagel shop I've ever been to in my life normally toasts the bagels unless you specifically ask for an untoasted one (eeew).

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

What are these bagels you speak of? Is it like a tortilla? I like my tortillas toasted, just on the verge of being a cracker.

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It all depends. Mostly I don't toast the bagel, but when I want a little crunch added to the chewiness of the crust and the softness of the bread, then I'll toast it. What is difficult is finding a bakery that really knows how to make a bagel. It's a bit more complicated than some breads and it's really a balancing act.

The bread is more substantial than Wonder Bread, but not so much that you could lob a bagel at a battleship and sink it. That's why knishes were invented. The crust on a well made bagel should have a satisfying amount of chewiness.

Unfortunately, like so many good things, the bagel has been mercilessly commoditized, made to jump through hoops that no enlightened society would ever countenance. Chocolate? Strawberry? Gad, they might as well be biscuits! Not that I don't like biscuits, especially a beautifully tender one, but a biscuit is only a staging area for gravy and other goodies, it's everything else's bitch. On the other hand, a properly made bagel can be quite self sufficient. It has self respect. But all these flavors! Sun dried tomato? It's Western Civilization's nether bits!

Real bagels come in a handful of unfooffy varieties, white, egg, onion, pumpernickel, sesame, maybe poppyseed. After that, the slide begins gently with cinnamon raisin, and then the steep fall into the hell and damnation of chocolate bagels, sun dried tomato and the truly horrid pumpkin spice. I blame Manhattan and Noah's, two of the worst bagel makers in the history of bagel making. Noah's bialies weren't bad, but it's been years since I've been in one of their stores, so I can't attest to their current quality. You couldn't tell the difference between the bread and the crust. It was all a dense bore. And truth to tell, there isn't a chain that's going to do it correctly. Bagels need a bakery that makes them with love and respect. Good luck finding one.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  20. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My step-dad visited one of his aunts that lived in NYC a good number of years ago and went to a place called Zabar's. Ever since, he gets a shipment of their coffee beans, bagels, cream cheese and occasionally some lox to go with it. I have had their bagels many times, but all of them toasted. If I was there live and in person, maybe different, but to get them from a place and they're cold, I prefer to have them toasted so they're nice and warm. I also do love the little crunch in unison with the soft, chewy center.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

100% toasted. The ONLY caveat to this is a bagel that is right out of the oven. Then, I enjoy it as is.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I toast everything, and even the best bagel gets that treatment. Cream cheese right from the fridge gets slightly warmed by the hot bagel, and does not run.
    When I worked on Wall Street, a toasted bialy was my go-to, some times with butter, sometimes cream cheese. Otherwise, a toasted onion bagel, cream cheese and lox was a special treat.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it isn't 5 minutes old at the shop, you better toast it. But I don't toast bread usually, so you know what they say about glass houses.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have tote bags from Zabar's, and jpm's memories of his Wall Street bagels make me yearn for the real thing. Mostly outside NY/NJ, the bagel is just a different item, and much less delectable.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

100% toasted... with butter.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it's a fresh bagel from a bagel shop and I'm on the run (driving while I eat it)...not toasted and I eat it plain like a donut. If I'm going to relax and sit down and eat it...toasted with cream cheese.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everything bagel, lightly toasted, then allowed to cool slightly and slathered with cream cheese!

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 7 months ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I buy fresh bagels from the bagel shop, I eat them not toasted the first day. Second day and after they get toasted.

My favorite way to eat a bagel is with cream cheese and smoked Sable on top. My second favorite is with cream cheese, sweet or red onion, tomato and smoked Salmon on top.

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  29. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blocks everything bagel with peanut butter!

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer to give my bagels a hot water rinse before toasting.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  31. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

smoked Sable on top

Typo or intentional? Ha.

My kids eat the store bought bagels un-toasted with cream cheese, but I toast them, cream cheese, fried egg, and bacon between. Best is an “Everything” bagel.

But I did have a bagel in NY once. I ate it however they handed it to me and it was really good (I’m from Texas).

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I once had a gf who had a connection in NYC that sent her frozen half cooked bagels. Then she’d toast them whole and it was as if they just came out of the oven. Delicious with cream cheese. Good lord I miss those bagels.

Jason
    Posted 7 months ago #
  33. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

toasted, buttered, topped

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toasted if I'm not rushing out the door. Since I'm in East Tennessee, I don't get anything close to a traditional bagel, and not a Jewish deli until Nashville.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At any rate, bagels are best with lox and cream cheese.

"the weez"...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  36. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Non-toasted, lots of cream cheese.

Side note: It's hard to find a good bagel in New Orleans, Stein's being the only place that has them as far as I know. I solved the problem by making them myself. They turned out pretty good, link to pic if you're interested:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMz66tF64dQzhue4Jl_zAYhvo5HVYG5JWEdP0Wx

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In California, (maybe all over the US), we have Noah's bagels, and they are a marketing juggernaut. Every thing is cutesy and heaped with pretension. Lots of words that appear to be Yiddish, but which I think many are made up. Anyway, their bagels are not boiled, and are mediocre. YMMV. Anyone else tried their stuff?

Edit- 56 locations, all in California. Love to have Jesse's take on this.

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Non-toasted, lots of cream cheese.

Side note: It's hard to find a good bagel in New Orleans, Stein's being the only place that has them as far as I know. I solved the problem by making them myself. They turned out pretty good, link to pic if you're interested:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMz66tF64dQzhue4Jl_zAYhvo5HVYG5JWEdP0Wx

Link returns:

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

Do you boil before baking?

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Huh. Works on my end, I'll figure it out. Otherwise, Spoiler Alert: it's 8 everything bagels on a wire rack.

Yes, you have to boil them or else it's just round bread with a hole. I added some dry malt extract to the boil that I had handy for brewing purposes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  40. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Maybe this one works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yudi8mzk4qDE1PwV8

Posted 7 months ago #
  41. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks very good!

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you follow your link into the page, get the full photo's URL, and paste that into the IMG tag, the image becomes embedded, so to speak, and no one has to click links to see the picture.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info and the compliment. Still learning how the board works.

Posted 7 months ago #
  44. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

56 locations, all in California. Love to have Jesse's take on this.

Hi John,

I mentioned Noah's in my earlier post. They're one of the worst makers of bagels since the destruction of the Second Temple. They're the McDonalds of the bagel world. Any resemblance between Noah's product and a genuine bagel is ironic. They do unto bagels what the Danes do unto classic British blends. Flaming snot or the glandular excretions of a baboon's butt would likely taste better than a Noah's bagel.

That enough of a take?

I haven't had a really good bagel in a long while, not because they're unavailable in La La Land, but because I don't have the time to drive to a decent Jewish bakery, so what bagels I do get are the bagels that Warner Bros picks up weekly from Western Bagels. Serviceable, but thoroughly mediocre.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

I prefer to give my bagels a hot water rinse before toasting.

Toasted, as if this was ever a ligit question!

Posted 7 months ago #
  46. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I generally toast my bagels. Up here in the NW I find it near impossible to get my favorite bagel: Pumpernickel. I haven't had one in years.

Sadness.

Posted 7 months ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Beignets or sweet cornbread here. Never a bagel.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  48. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If they aren’t hot out of the oven, then they must be toasted if you want the authentic flavor/texture experience. My father used to spritz them withwater, then reheat in the oven. That’s even better.

And Gerry? Those bagels look damned yummy.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotta be toasted brotha. And a lot of that creamy cheese. Mmmm Although I have never tried the hot water rinse first.

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Must get new glasses.I was wondering why you would toast a hunting dog

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 7 months ago #
  51. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

Toast it! Always! Are your office colleagues millennials?

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 7 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

I only eat bagels that were baked the same day 99% of the time (lots of places here in South Florida) so definitely untoasted, the other 1% of the time I toast it and let it come to room temperature before putting on a healthy schmear... not a fan of hot melted cream cheese.

Posted 7 months ago #
  53. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

To toast or not to toast, almost as important a question as what to put between the halves. So for me it depends on a number of variables however my default is toasted poppy w cc. If butter on the go then no toast.
    One of my favs: cracked peppercorn Turkey, egg whites and Swiss (or pepper jack if I'm feeling frisky) on an egg everything, toasted or not depending on time of day, year, and wind direction...
    Cinnamon raisin always toasted w butter or walnut raisin cc when available.
    Now what about flagels and squagles?

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Biscuits and gravy, here.

Bagels (toasted or not) and gravy is kinda like socks on a rooster.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

no

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never eaten a bagel.....isn't it just a doughnut with a fancy name?

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  57. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I might be the odd man out here but this is how I do it:

Step 1: Leave the bagels on the counter for other people.

Step 2: Get an English muffin.

Step 3: Toast that bad boy until slightly crispy and golden brown.

Step 4: Overload said muffin with pure unsalted sweet cream butter! (You may use salted in a pinch.)

Step 5: Allow butter to both saturate and puddle up in the nooks and crannies of the muffin.

Step 6: Try not to let your eyes roll back in your head as you enjoy the toasted buttery greatness.

***Optionally, you made add a high quality jam or marmalade (no jelly please) to the muffin and butter if you think you can handle it. I prefer strawberry.

Posted 7 months ago #
  58. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love English muffins, and crumpets. Scones ok, but a distant third. Blackberry or raspberry jam here. And I insist on salted butter. Bigger taste.

Posted 7 months ago #
  59. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Do they call them English muffins in England?

Posted 7 months ago #
  60. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bagels and English Muffins are two different animals. Love ‘em both, for different reasons.
    I would never put lox or whitefish salad on an English Muffin. Nor would I put jam on a bagel. But marmalade and butter on a well-toasted EM is a wonderous item.

Posted 7 months ago #
  61. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an EM almost every morning-- butter and cane syrup.

Posted 7 months ago #
  62. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do they call them English muffins in England?
    No. Nor do the French call potato fries any thing but the translation of same. As for Spanish Rice.....
    And a dozen other things.

What do they call that muffin?? IIRC, they really don't have such. I think our EMs were derived from crumpets more or less. A good crumpet often trumps an EM, and of course, YMMV.

Posted 7 months ago #
  63. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And what do Canadians call American Cheese?

Posted 7 months ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean those single wrapped slices? That would be "plastic" cheese.

Posted 7 months ago #
  65. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The boiling of bagels is most often done in an alkaline solution (industrially lye, home kitchen most often baking soda), which promotes browning while baking. Same routine with pretzels. Pennsylvania does this best.

Toasted always with cream cheese.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 7 months ago #
  66. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now English Muffins is a whole nother thing altogether. I do love a good EM though, especially from this place we have near my office call Another Broken Egg Cafe. They do great benedict recipes with the EM's and they used to do steak and eggs, with an EM that was my go-to when I went there. Add some of their biscuit beignets with orange-honey marmalade and it's a fantastic way to start the day!

Posted 7 months ago #
  67. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

English muffins are just wannabe crumpets.

Posted 7 months ago #
  68. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I love English muffins, and crumpets."

John, you are clearly a man of taste. An English crumpet dripping in slightly salted Danish Lurpak butter is the absolute dog's dangly bits

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 7 months ago #
  69. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best crumpet I ever had was in England- no big surprise- but it was toasted over a log fire at tea time, and the jam was outrageous. Not sure the origin of the butter, though.

Posted 7 months ago #
  70. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite summertime sandwich is a toasted english muffin with cream cheese on one half and hummus on the other. Wedged between the two halves...tomato slice, cucumber slices, very thin onion slice, bell pepper slice and some fresh spinach. That is one good crispy and refreshing sandwich. I'll eat two.

Posted 7 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper