wYETunpl.jpg

Z6qnfwUl.jpg

Lad5dobl.jpg

GFBbTWol.jpg

0IOyW5vl.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Did you say, "lightly smoked"? My friend, you are a miracle worker. Just beautiful! :worship:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
An alcohol soak for a few hours.
reamed with a jackhammer.
Bleach bath for the stem. The most oxidized stem I think I've ever seen. (notice the gunk leaking out between the shank and stem in the before pics) Pipe cleaner? What is a pipe cleaner?
Fiebings stain. Dark brown and caramel are my favorite colors on a pipe.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It never ceases to amaze me how such a pipe can be transformed into something that looks brand new.
Nice job indeed.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The O/P was too funny, lightly smoked indeed. Love the wood. Miracle on the stem. I just passed on a pipe with a stem in similar condition that looked promising otherwise. You are a Miracle Worker as noted.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas.
@ Ed, it's stamped imported briar on the right side of the shank, which I believe is reserved for American pipes.

It turned better than I thought it would. There was some nice grain hiding under the grime, and the original stem stamping was a nice surprise as well. It was undetectable before I cleaned the stem.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Yes, this is a U.S. made Alpha. Recently, I was actually doing research on these particular Alphas because I scored one on a pipe lot I bought a while ago. Here's a nice quick bit of info on them that I found from a different forum.
...In the late 90s, Lane, Ltd, owner of the Dr Grabow factory, decided to manufacture a more upscale line of pipes. They intended these pipes to compete with imported pipes in the under $100.00 price range and chose the Alpha name for the line. Lane Ltd acquired rights to the name from Mastercraft Pipes, who, in turn, had purchased the name from the Israeli Shalom Pipe Company.
The Lane Alphas were a very short-lived line, only lasting about two years (circa 1998-2000). There were 18 (14 standard, 4 'fancy') shapes, in five finishes. Greek letters were used for the finish names (Beta, Gamma, Epsilon,etc). They're pretty good pipes for the money, but I think most smokers who were willing to pay around $100.00 for a new pipe were turned off by the association with the Dr Grabow name. In my opinion, that's probably why the line died an unlamented early death.
The Hochstein brothers, Mickey and Dickey, manufactured the original Alpha pipes at the Shalom Pipe Factory near Tel Aviv, Israel. They're also pretty good pipes, and the Citation series is, again in my opinion, one of the most underrated pipes on the market. Shalom was in business from around 1970 until the mid- to late-80s. Alpha was their brand name in the US only. Worldwide their pipes were marketed under the Shalom name. I think Mastercraft handled the line in the US.
Later on, sometime in the early- to mid-90s, Mastercraft Pipes marketed the Alpha USA line of pipes, also manufactured in the Sparta factory. The finishes were: Sierra, Delta, Mark V, Blue Ridge, Sabre, and Big Boy. Some are marked Alpha, and some aren't.
That, in a nutshell, is the history of Alpha pipes. For my money, Israeli-made Alphas, especially the Citation series, are one of the best values available today, when you can find them. Second would be the Lane, Ltd, Alphas, and, finally, the Alpha USA pipes. The last are hit or miss. Some are great smokers, others not so hot.
You can find the whole thread here.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
With that much cake, I'm not surprised you went straight to a jackhammer, I think you'd break a chisel or two on that one. Probably one of your most contrasted restores! Amazing as always Dan!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Here's a nice quick bit of info on them that I found from a different forum."
Interesting bit of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.