PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Well, it's 11.45 am in the UK - just me and guhrillastile on-line right now - Quiet time! Most American friends are probably abed, some nursing their grudges, others maybe examining their conscience. Hopefully the former will sleep soundly and wake up ready to smoke the pipe of peace!
Anyway, I was thinking back to why, a month ago, I joined up and I would be interested to know what led others to do the same? I have never been involved in websites on any subject, and can just about manage to search the Web and write e-mails. I still can't add pics or those funny smiley things to my posts! lol
In my case, it was purely by chance. I was searching on Google for some information on James Upshall pipes, having bought a couple of really nice ones, when I came across a trail leading into the now famous 'Astley/Upshall' topic on this site. I thought it was wrong to be a 'watcher' without signing up - so I did!
Before joining, I thought I knew all I needed to about pipe smoking and pipe tobaccos - I was wrong!! LOL

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I keep the home fires burning whilst in my lil shop. Sipping coffee with saw dust floaties and kept company by a worthless moose of a dog. It's my Zen time.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@g Nice to think of you doing that - got my mongrel bitch by my side; I'm never truly alone! lol

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Those from the boards that call with projects or commissions think I live with a bear. He's a Mastiff. And very vocal. Always groaning and snuffing. Barks his loud booming bark at bugs. A tiny spider or fly on the wall and he barks so forcefully you feel it in your chest. He's my shop buddy.
Many know I work two jobs. This has lead to sometimes pulling a double. Meaning I would rather go without sleep tonight so I can get in shop time. Nice and quiet here. Like an aristocrat Morlock. I just toil away while the world sleeps. I kinda like it that way though.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Mine's a black lab cross with a pelt as black and shiny as Black XX rope. She sits with her front paws crossed, like the lady she is! lol. I like to write research grants in he early morning - she's my female writing buddy !!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Good afternoon I believe it would be for you now flakyjakey,
I joined up after a similar internet search on piping that brought me to this site. Best search ever, it has gotten me the ability to converse via this forum with some of the finest people anyone could ask for. Many of them have done a great deal in helping me along in my pipe smoking venture.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@05venturer, I couldn't agree more! Many good things happen by pure chance. Thoroughly looking forward to many happy and interesting piping discussions; I've already learned a lot!!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I landed here because when I do something new, I usually jump in head first. Nowadays, the first thing I try to find is the right forum. In our case with pipes, this one was the clear choice. I know there are a few others but this is my eHome. I learn so much about pipes but also other things too. I like how we've got each others back (as in the Kyle Black story). I like how our members here are incredibly generous to each other. And I like really good men such as Old Cajun. I've had lots of times where my wife is out of town and I come here to hang out and smoke my pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I honestly don't know how I got to this site. I think I nodded off one evening and my nose hit the keyboard. When I woke up I was here. Sort of like Dorothy in the Wizard Of Oz. A happy day for sure.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I work with computers for a living, and I do a lot of research on various topics - so when a friend of mine decided to try smoking a pipe, I got curious about the difference between pipe tobacco (which I enjoy the smell of) and cigars and cigarettes (which, not so much). I've participated in online forums since the early days, back when AOL and UseNet were fairly cutting edge, and this one caught my eye when I started digging a little deeper into the subtleties of pipes and tobacco. No hazing of the new kids, active but not overly strict moderation, readable, and a good mix of expertise and enthusiasm.
In fact, I signed on as a member before I bought my first pipe... :D

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
No idea how I got here. I'm lost.
In reality, I lurked for a long time without joining, then felt guilty and joined. Glad I did. Great group of smokers and amazing how many of us that enjoy a pipe also enjoy many of the same other things. It also seems that the average intelligence level of pipe smokers seems to be quite high, in comparison to aficionados of other past times and habits.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I am on my kindle and it is a touchy SOB, so forgive the spelling, this site is my home away from home,many,many good people,some are like at family gatherings,loud,nosy,boisterous,but all in all full of good cheer,by their posts I can tell if they are sad,nervous about what the future will bring,just curious about their hobby,and proud of their purchases,what a place.I have made many good friends here,so a salute to you all and Kevin,Mods who do a fine job.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
I have been involved with forums for my hobbies for the last 15ish years. Never have I been able to find the information or guidance needed for some of my projects with out a group of people that love the same thing.
For me it was natural to join this forum, I have not joined any other pipe forums at this point. I did however join some groups on facebook. Great bunch of people pipesmokers are, only one bad apple I have heard of to this day.
As for dogs... I have a choco lab that joined us New Years day, got dumped by some asshat. Great dog, older and dealing with hip problems just like me. lol But he did get both our females pregnant and now we have WAY more than we need. Sad part is when I dont let him stay by my side he pouts and gets depressed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice thread Flaky.
I came back into the hobby in late 2012, and decided that I wanted to try my hand at cleaning up estate pipes. So I scoured the web for forums, blogs, how-to's, etc. Of all the forums that I lurked on, this was the most human/humane I could find. I've been on other blogs where newbies were eviscerated with searing sarcasm and open hostility for asking basic questions. That just doesn't happen here. There's a level of inclusiveness, here, which I find comfortable, and which tends to engender discussion and reasoned (mostly) debate. I also like the frivolity and irreverence which populate some threads.
I've made some friends, learned (and continue to learn) a tonne, and generally enjoy my time here.
-- Pat

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I was over at the grayfox site for years ,but the boss who plays in a band closed it down.

so i found PM ,i'm here for the fun of it a love of pips and pipe smokeing and to learn this or that.

All the men and women here are very nice I spend a lot of time on emails and i belong to a group at GROUPBOX for people over 50 i'm 65.

Back in the day i was in a lot of groups at the old MSN groups ,all kinds and it was great and yes they MSN close them down sure do miss them not to many groups around anymore. been smokeing a pipe for more than 50 years now and still happy with my puffing. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I stumbled in here a couple of years ago. I've been active in the Yahoo Group Pipesmokers2 for years; it's not as active as it once was,but gets bursts of activity. There have been (and still are) some very knowledgeable folsk in there; Jan Zeman, the pipemaker from New Zealand, was active, and made several of our "Pipes of the Year'. Joe Harb, who used to blend for Jack's Tobacco in Milwaukee and reviews tobacco for "Pipes and Tobacco" magazine, is still active. I learned a lot there when I picked up the pipe again, after a hiatus on cigars, and met some nice folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.