Almost Made a TAD Order Twice But...

(20 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by smokeybear
  • Latest reply from peckinpahhombre
  1. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shipping costs to Canada were a bit high, i narrowed it down to one tin of Davidoff medallion flake cause im dying to try a good va/per but the shipping was 35$, man the tin is 10$ lol FML. i couldn't do it. i just have to wait until that good old Canadian Box Pass starts up again.

please note im not looking for handouts guys just wanted to state this. im willing to pay crazy amounts for tobacco just to try it but in no way will i spend triple the cost of the tobacco itself just to have it shipped.

What an upset.

I had 5 different tobaccos in the cart, bulks and tins, it was 55$ worth but then another 55$ to ship it. i dam near fell off my chair. haha.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Where are you ordering from?

I'm thinking other Canadian members here order from the States and don't pay nearly that much for shipping.

IIRC, a couple Canadians were saying recently that even with the shipping AND customs/taxes, buying tobacco from the USA was cheaper than Canadian vendor/B&M prices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First was pipes and cigars i wanted to try some of their bulks and second was 4noggins which was not as bad but still double the price of the tin to ship. i mean i don't even know if i would like it. if i was sure of my order it would have been easier to pull the trigger but not right now after Christmas, wife's birthday and my sisters wedding i cant afford such luxuries as shipping haha

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey smokey, the last order I got from 4noggins was only $13 to ship and we're essentially in each other's backyard, it was a much slower shipping method but I still got it in about 10 days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really! what the heck was i ordering than maybe i didn't see that option ill doubler check now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i didn't see the the other options on 4noggins lol but pipes and cigars is a set fee of 30$ no matter if i was just getting soft bites.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Subtotal: $31.13
    Shipping & Handling: $19.05
    Estimated Tax: $0.00
    Total: $50.18

for

A.C. Petersen ESCUDO 50g
    Item Number: ESC5
    $9.75

Benjamin Hartwell SIGNATURE BLEND 50g
    Item Number: BHSB5
    $10.49

Davidoff FLAKE MEDALLIONS 50g
    Item Number: DAFM
    $10.89

Just to show you whats in the cart also which one do you guys recommend as my first va/per

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Smokey, not sure the toll-free number works from Canada, but if it does, why not call Rich @ 4Noggins and have him walk you through the order process. I could save you some money, not just in shipping, but also in getting some good feedback about the new blends, tins or bulks, you want to try -- you might even find a recommendation from him that wasn't on your radar that you end up just loving (some John Patton blends come to mind).

Also, I'm with BR here -- what's an extra few days or a week more if the difference in shipping is considerable? I always go with the cheapest shipping.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

good point as always rothnh ill give them a call.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

which one do you guys recommend as my first va/per

I'd say Escudo, since it has a decent amount of Perique and Escudo IMO is a very good yardstick to use in measuring other Va/Pers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Yeah, have a look at the shipping methods. If you are willing to wait a bit longer, you can get some decent shhipping charges. Have had that same kind of issue before, but went back and looked at shipping and adjusted accordingly. I have ordered from 4noggins, P&C and SP and they all have had that option.

If you want it ASAP, then of course you have to pay the toll.

Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with rothnh: Escudo is a good place to start. If you don't like that, you probably won't like VaPers, unless you smoke the sweeter varieties like H&H Virginia Spice, and/or Stokkebye LNF.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I noticed that Pipes & Cigars is way more expensive on the shipping. The breakdown you just posted makes more sense and is much closer than what I paid. Also the price increases for USPS and Canada Post were just implemented for the year 2 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure my order arrived before those increases.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess cause my first order from 4noggins was only 10$ shipping it has gone up and I ordered 40$ of tobacco the first time 10 ounces total

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I noticed that Pipes & Cigars is way more expensive on the shipping.

It is a bit more expensive, but they have the best tracking. I tracked my last P&C order from shipping all the way to my door..........and it arrived a day or so earlier than expected. The SP & 4noggins, the tracking does not seem to work in Canada..........for me anyways.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to figure something out because i wanna start storing tobacco and get a good stash going but i don't know what to store yet cause i haven't tried a whole lot. i need to make some calls to these tobacconists and see what they suggest. im Sure that my tastes are limited to aromatics(as if that narrows it down) and Virgina's/ VA/PAR's

the thing that caught my attention with the davidoff medallion flake was the fact it contains Black Cavendish i assume that would make for a pleasant taste and easy move from aros being most aros contain this. i could be dead wrong here i dont know.

EDIT: i have also started a tobacco journal so i can remember what i liked.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. hunter185

hunter185

Login to Send PM

Just got an order from 4noggins and it cost $13 for shipping. You can choose whatever shipping you want. USPS Ground is the cheapest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I enjoy Davidoff Flake Mediallions (DFM) but I don't think it's anything close to an aromatic. DFM is a fine Va/Per. As noted here already, Escudo is the top choice for most Va/Per lovers. All virginia blends age well, so if your intent is to stock up your cellar, you might want to focus on virginia blends then stock the ones you enjoy the most.

I know many folks say aromatics cellar well and "keep" for a long time, but in my experience, this just isn't so. Most aromatics will cellar well and keep their flavors/toppings intact for a year or two, then progressively flatten out; if it is a virginia-forward blend, however, the virginias will improve nicely far beyond that.

A couple Virginia Flakes I recommend are Erinmore Flake and Perterson's University Flake. Both, while not an aromatic or even a crossover, have a fruity and slightly sweet topping that I enjoy. Another couple of good choices are McClelland's Blackwoods Flake and Harth & Home Anniversary Flake. The Anni Kake, though, is from Pipes & Cigars.

I think it's an excellent idea to call and discuss your preferences with Rich at 4Noggins. I have no doubt this will result in a number of fine blends you are likely to really enjoy.

Good luck Smokey -- let us know how you make out

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just made an order from 4noggins cost me 44$ shipped

Escudo
    Bullseye Flake
    and 2 ounces of my favorite Lord Methleys

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a bit more expensive, but they have the best tracking. I tracked my last P&C order from shipping all the way to my door..........and it arrived a day or so earlier than expected. The SP & 4noggins, the tracking does not seem to work in Canada..........for me anyways.

that's because P&C doesn't offer first class mail delivery to Canada - only priority and express are available there.

SP and 4noggins offer first class mail delivery, which is must cheaper (but takes longer). Also, unlike the other, first class only tracks to the point where the order leaves the US - it does not track through Canada like priority or express.

98% of the time I order first class.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   twoonefive, jiminks, mephistopheles, tbradsim1, papipeguy, misterlowercase, kcvet67, agnosticpipe, rsuninv, boilermakerandy, cortezattic, tuold, peckinpahhombre, mikestanley, escioe, weezell, crazypipe, deuce26, rickpal14, olewaylon